Changing majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheerChickMD69

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a bio major right now and have been one for 2 years but my grades aren't that great. I have straight B's and B-'s except for one C+ and 2 A's but those three are all in non-science classes. I was looking at this message board and it looks like I need to do better to get into med school. So if I change my major to english now would they look down on that? So far I took bio 1 and 2 for my pre-reqs along with genetics and ecology. I still need to take general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. The reason I want to switch away from bio is that even though I got B's in the classes, I had to study ALL WEEK LONG. Like 8-12 hours a day and that when I was taking them one at a time. Now with the rest of the prereqs I don't know if I'll be able to keep up. I got B's in my english classes and an A in one, but I think I can get more A's in english if I switch away from the bio major so I'll have more time. How bad would changing majors at this point look?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a cheerleader once.

Take the classes you're going to enjoy and be successful in. You will find your path in life that way.

:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
katnapper said:
I was a cheerleader once.

Take the classes you're going to enjoy and be successful in. You will find your path in life that way.

:idea:

But I need to take certain classes to get into med school. My friend also told me that switching majors doesn't look too good.

Colleges will not know if you change majors. They'll see you took your required science classes, but if you prefer English do it. Do something you're passionate about. You will be much more successful, I promise.

You have to take the "premed" courses, but can major in anything you want. I majored in Musical theater, and when I applied to schools, they looked at it as an asset because it was interesting and would have made the pool of students more diverse. Interesting stories also would make the writing for applications much much easier.

It really doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you get good grades in whatever you chose, and of course get good grades on the pre-req classes. And do well on the mcat. Thats all it takes :)

Why change now? You're barely into the major. You have to get through the basics to get to the fun stuff.. but I'm a nerd.. so, eh.