Changing medical student attitudes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Just show them the payment schedule for student loans and stop with the loan forgiveness nonsense. The ones not there on family money will stay the course.

Speaking from experience, I had to take a medical leave. There was no way I could have made payments with any other readily available job. I was quite diligent upon my return!

Maybe I’m a boomer?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
it probably WILL be easy for them. easier than it was for us. but they wont make as much, and will be more satisfied with taking less

Reactions: 2 users
it probably WILL be easy for them. easier than it was for us. but they wont make as much, and will be more satisfied with taking less
"Among the surveyed medical students, 60 percent said they were concerned about their mental health, 69 percent said they were concerned about their income, 63 percent expressed concerns about experiencing burnout and 60 percent were worried about how clinician shortages would affect them."

I think they're seeing physician incomes remaining stagnant or decreasing while everyone else in healthcare continues to take more of the pie.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me know when the cost of med school decreases and the govt gets TFO of student loans.

When that happens, these polls will look different.

Being a hospital employed physician is much like any other job. You clock in, clock out, do a bunch of computer work, have admin people dictating or heavily influencing your schedule and who you work with and commenting about your Press Ganeys. The day to day of hospital medicine is becoming more similar to being employed in engineering, finance, law, etc over time except with less flexibility. Add on the student debt, narrowing pay gap, extended training, and medicine is not so enticing as it was.

Reactions: 7 users