Changing Mind After Making Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skvader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning! =) Last week, I interviewed for two PsyD programs, and I feel my chances of getting into at least one of them are fairly decent. I have been told that students must make a decision by April 15th (something about the APA wanting all graduate students to report their decisions by that date); however, I DID apply to some masters programs, and I haven't entirely ruled them out yet.

My question is this: What happens if I say I'm going to a PsyD program, but later decide I want to go to a masters program instead?

It's very, VERY frustrating that the two degrees are on different timelines. In a way, I can see why it would be a good thing (if you are rejected from doctorate programs, at least you still have masters programs to look forward to)... but I don't like the idea of locking myself into a decision before I've weighed ALL the facts (including possible acceptances from masters programs).

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning! =) Last week, I interviewed for two PsyD programs, and I feel my chances of getting into at least one of them are fairly decent. I have been told that students must make a decision by April 15th (something about the APA wanting all graduate students to report their decisions by that date); however, I DID apply to some masters programs, and I haven't entirely ruled them out yet.

My question is this: What happens if I say I'm going to a PsyD program, but later decide I want to go to a masters program instead?

It's very, VERY frustrating that the two degrees are on different timelines. In a way, I can see why it would be a good thing (if you are rejected from doctorate programs, at least you still have masters programs to look forward to)... but I don't like the idea of locking myself into a decision before I've weighed ALL the facts (including possible acceptances from masters programs).

hmm...I guess, maybe, it would help to do some soul searching as to what you want at this point. If you get into a Psy.D. program, what would be a reason to decide against that and going for a M.S. instead? Have you thought about pros and cons?? I think there are a lot of postings weighing that, M.S. vs. waiting and re-applying next year. Reading those may also help some...G'luck anyway. I know it's tough to be in between and not knowing how to decide. Do you have buddies in your program you can talk to about it??

usually you can get an answer from masters programs even by April 15. If not, I think you can use the offer of psy.D and negotiate for an earlier result or an estimated chance of offer for the master's program. Then you can decide. However, I agree with the above that you should think more about which works better for your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
usually you can get an answer from masters programs even by April 15. If not, I think you can use the offer of psy.D and negotiate for an earlier result or an estimated chance of offer for the master's program. Then you can decide. However, I agree with the above that you should think more about which works better for your career.

Do you think they would do that if their deadline is May 1?

hmm...I guess, maybe, it would help to do some soul searching as to what you want at this point. If you get into a Psy.D. program, what would be a reason to decide against that and going for a M.S. instead? Have you thought about pros and cons?? I think there are a lot of postings weighing that, M.S. vs. waiting and re-applying next year. Reading those may also help some...G'luck anyway. I know it's tough to be in between and not knowing how to decide. Do you have buddies in your program you can talk to about it??
Location, basically. I know that sounds awfully silly at first... but I love where I live right now. If it came down to last-pick PsyD vs. first-pick MS, where the biggest difference between the two is location... I don't know. I guess I'm just the kind of person who likes to have all the facts before making a decision that's going to affect me for several years!
I hope I can... most of the apps were due a month ago, and I have yet to hear from any of them (they keep saying they'll get back to me within a week, but no word yet). One of the apps (second-pick) isn't even due until March 15th, so unless they move extremely quickly, I doubt I'd hear back within a month. Maybe, but unlikely. I suppose, if I go to an interview and know I've been accepted for a doctorate program, I could express my concern and state that I would love to hear back regarding their decision as soon as possible.

---

I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far! But I still want to know what will happen if I make a decision, only to change my mind later on. I mean, what do you do when you accept an offer of admission? Do you just put down a deposit? If so, what's to stop you from putting deposits down for multiple schools? Is there some kind of penalty (ex. withdrawal of offers) if you do so?

I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far! But I still want to know what will happen if I make a decision, only to change my mind later on. I mean, what do you do when you accept an offer of admission? Do you just put down a deposit? If so, what's to stop you from putting deposits down for multiple schools? Is there some kind of penalty (ex. withdrawal of offers) if you do so?​

I can't speak for every school, but in my experience, you only get your deposit back once you graduate.

My two cents: First off, when I applied to masters programs (3 years ago), I found out from all 8 of them before mid-April (at least I strongly believe so). I heard back from most the traditional week of spring break. So, what I might advise, would be to rank all of your options looking at the costs and benefits of each program, and then take it from there once the acceptances start rolling in.

Now one thing to keep in mind, as has been stated by several posters before me, is to truly define what your long-term career goals are. What would be most conducive to your situation? Are you ready to go into a Psy.D. program knowing that you'll be able to have good job prospects ahead, or do you think you'd rather slow it down and help build a foundation for your career by enrolling in a masters program to narrow down your research/clinical interests? Also, remember if you do go into a masters program, if you decide to go back for a doctorate, it will be another gut-wrenching process of applying, applying, applying.

Lastly, I would not accept an offer and then resind it after April 15. Not only is that disrespectful to the program and the waitlisted students, but you are ultimately burning bridges and sullying your name within the field. So make sure that you are ABSOLUTELY sure by April 15.