Changing my mind about residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estranged

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In psychiatry we are well used to people seeing the light and switching to us after not considering the field initially. As long as you can explain yourself well and don't appear to be using psych as a backup for something else the fact you were in IM originally doesn't pose much of a barrier.

Different specialty, but I’m applying radiology and there are quite a few people I’ve met that are applying without completing their first residency. Although they never said, I assume they were terminated or “resigned” since they were former surgery residents. They still interviewed at good places. I assume that as long as your app is good, you have a good story why you didn’t finish, and don’t have visa issues, you’ll be okay. While there may be some funding issues, from what I understand they can still find funding, just makes it more difficult.

Residency application question: what do medical schools send to residency programs about the didactic (1st 2 years) of med school? Are specific grade transcripts sent, or only that you "passed"? Is the same true of rotation/clinical years?

Residency application question: what do medical schools send to residency programs about the didactic (1st 2 years) of med school? Are specific grade transcripts sent, or only that you "passed"? Is the same true of rotation/clinical years?
Whatever grades you get are sent on your transcript. If your school is pass/fail, only pass/fail gets sent.

If your school is honors/pass/fail, honors/high pass/pass/low pass/fail, ABCDF, a numeric score, a GPA, whatever else - that gets sent. Most schools also send bar charts of what grades *mean* at your school - explaining that X% get honors, Y% get pass, etc.

In addition, almost every school as part of your deans letter includes a summative evaluation that is generally based on your grades - it is a phrase that goes near the end that reflects whether you're in the top/middle/bottom of your class. See http://www.jacr.org/cms/attachment/2014568276/2036036500/mmc1.doc and look your own school up if you're curious. It's the supplement from http://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(13)00767-9/abstract which is an interesting article - though now 5 years old.

Reactions: 1 user