Changing positions during gap year - bad for application??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maggieclee3

Reaction score
So I am currently working in clinical research with a company I have been with for 7 months. Although I really enjoy the work and patient population, the position has raised some concerns for me and I don't feel like I am being challenged or my skill sets are being utilized. I am also considering applying to other jobs that would allow me to save more money for medical school and conduct research that is more relevant to my interests. My concern is that leaving this job after 7-8 months would reflect poorly on my application. Any advice/insight on how this would look to an admissions board?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've read that this usually doesn't matter too much. If you've gotten all you can out of the job, than people understand moving on. If you did want to stay, however, you could talk to your supervisor and ask for more responsibilities and/or to be challenged more. If they can't provide that for you, than it is understandable that you would like to move on. Just don't burn any bridges!

• Love
I've read that this usually doesn't matter too much. If you've gotten all you can out of the job, than people understand moving on. If you did want to stay, however, you could talk to your supervisor and ask for more responsibilities and/or to be challenged more. If they can't provide that for you, than it is understandable that you would like to move on. Just don't burn any bridges!

Thanks for the insight! My concern was that it may indicate an inability to commit to something, but I really would like to move on to something more intellectually stimulating so this makes me feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you from my personal experience that none of the schools I interviewed at seemed to care that I left my first gap year job after only a few months. I may have gotten a few questions about it, but they seemed to stem more from curiosity than concern.

However, a follow-up question I have for you: do other aspects of your application indicate "an inability to commit"? I would say that if you have a history of leaving things early, this might further reinforce that. Otherwise, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Edit: I think another important thing to consider: How many gap years are you taking? Would you be able to get solid letters of rec from your current position? Would staying in your current position lead to any noteworthy publications/accomplishments that would like nice on your application? Keep in mind that if you are doing 2 gap years, it's likely that you won't be able to say anything substantial about your new job by the time you apply.

Last edited:
  • Love