Changing research areas - any negative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roinom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering the general view on people who change their areas in the beginning. I plan to attend a combined MD/PhD-program (I'm studying in Europe, so we apply during our third year of medical school to this). I have been trying some different research: epidemiology, epidemiology + lab (clinical research), and now I'm into basic science research and really enjoying it.

Since I don't know what I want to work with in the future, I'm trying different areas too, ranging from tumor biology to autoimmune disease. When I look at big shot professors, if they are in atherosclerosis you can see the first paper published in the 70s was about atherosclerosis too. Is it common that someone obtain a PhD in let's say tumor biology, but then specializes in for example transplantation surgery and then do research in transplantation immunology instead?

Is it something negative with this, to not show a true dedication to any specific area and type of research? Now I have mostly choosen project based on the PI/group and methods, where I have been able to get the most autonomy and not only pipetting all day long, so I'm now running my own electrophysiology experiments, PCR, immunostaining etc, which is far more what I could expect be doing after just 1,5-2 months.

Wish you guys the best!

Members don't see this ad.