Chapman University vs. University of St. Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt2025

Reaction score
I am incredibly fortunate to have gotten accepted into both programs as I have been working hard for the past 3 years to be able to make it into a program. I made a list to organize the benefits of both schools, however I am still very much torn. I would love any insight from anyone with previous knowledge of these programs into making the best decision for myself. With clinical experiences possibly being outside of California, I would have to also tackle on cost of living and traveling as well. Any advice would be so appreciative.

Chapman University (Summer Cohort 2021)
Cost -146k
Length 3 Full years
Cohort Size - 40 Students
Clinical Rotations - 40 weeks
Graduation Rate/License Pass - 94%/100%

University of St. Augustine FLEX (Fall Cohort 2021)
Cost - $115k
Length - 4 Years
Clinical Rotation - 36 Weeks
Cohort Size - 33 Students
Graduation Rate-91%
License Pass(first time/ultimate)- 65%/92%

Members don't see this ad.

I am incredibly fortunate to have gotten accepted into both programs as I have been working hard for the past 3 years to be able to make it into a program. I made a list to organize the benefits of both schools, however I am still very much torn. I would love any insight from anyone with previous knowledge of these programs into making the best decision for myself. With clinical experiences possibly being outside of California, I would have to also tackle on cost of living and traveling as well. Any advice would be so appreciative.

Chapman University (Summer Cohort 2021)
Cost -146k
Length 3 Full years
Cohort Size - 40 Students
Clinical Rotations - 40 weeks
Graduation Rate/License Pass - 94%/100%

University of St. Augustine FLEX (Fall Cohort 2021)
Cost - $115k
Length - 4 Years
Clinical Rotation - 36 Weeks
Cohort Size - 33 Students
Graduation Rate-91%
License Pass(first time/ultimate)- 65%/92%
Go with the cheapest! Or with the easiest (St Augustine in this case) if you are not confident with your ability to succeed with the workload of a full-time program. Do calculate how much interest rate will accumulate during the 4th school year in St Augustine to add to your tuition cost. Remember, all accredited programs must follow the same curriculum/outcome goals, so you will get more or less the same education in any accredited school.
I did Flex in St Augustine. It is easier since the program is spread out for 4 years. But if you don/t mind full time workload, it may not matter to you. Most people were working part-time or full time during the FLEX program and were able to contribute to their tuition while still being at school. That should not be your priority though, just an option if you have time and desire to work while being able to succeed at school.
I had 6+8+8 weeks of rotations which was plenty! By the end of rotations you will probably just want to get paid for your work finally. In this case, 36 weeks is better than 40. Remember, YOU are paying tuition for every extra week/day of your rotations.
Doesn't matter how many students in your cohort. There must be certain ratio of students to teachers in all practicals.
If you study for your license exam, you will very likely to pass it. For St Augustine, it is not the university's fault that 65% student did not study enough to pass the exam the 1st time but did study enough to pass the 2nd time.
Graduation rate: there ALWAYS will be people who drop out for whatever personal reason. 80s-90s% is pretty normal for any program.

Last edited: