Character limit for Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the character limit for the personal statement? (I already searched for it and could only find threads from a while back so wasn't sure if it had changed since then). Is it still 5300 characters? And does that include spaces? I have ~5800 characters including spaces and am having a hard time cutting it down. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

5300 with spaces. And often, Word's character count is a little bit higher than what AMCAS gives you (I think on the AMCAS, hard returns count as 2 characters or something). There are always ways to cut it down, you just have to work harder at it.

OP, you have quite a bit of time before you need to worry about this! i'm guessing that as you ask people to read it for you, and as you look at it again and again, you will find that making edits will eventually cut it down to size. don't cut it for the sake of cutting it at this point. if it's very close to submission time and it's still too long, then worry about cutting it down.:)