Character Traits and Necessities for Leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

z_maverica

If You Only Knew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been listening to lots of people's ideas on what leadership is and how to best demonstrate it. There's people I know who get elected to leadership roles in clubs and think that's leadership and there's others who organize groups to say they did it and that's leadership. It seems to me that neither one is leadership. I have a mentor who I really respect and he keeps telling me that I must first become a leader of myself before I can ever really lead others. He also talks about the philosophy of the Cheyenne indians and how the leaders chosen were the most reluctant to lead cuz they feared failing the tribe with that much responsibility. Finally we talk about how great leaders must have lost something precious in their lives and have overcome the loss. I thought about this one cuz my mentor wouldn't tell me why. I don't think I ever lost anything precious so Im just bringing up the topic here to get a feel for what people might think. Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean in terms of a medical school app?

If you have an official title or role that defines your contributions for a single person/group in accomplishing various relevant goals then there's your leadership.

If you're talking about real leadership that goes beyond putting something on your app then the answer goes a little deeper imo.

Unless we talk real leadership, then doesn't what we place on the medical school app have less value?

How does accomplishing what we're expected to accomplish make us a leaders? If I simply accomplish what I'm expected to doesn't that place me "at expectations"? Don't leaders rise above expectations or at least shouldn't they?

How does a contribution make us a leader? If everyone contributes to a cause does that make them all leaders?

I don't think Ive met anyone on my campus who's a leader but I keep hearing how everybody is. I have grave concerns mostly everyones definition of leadership is based more on appearances than on reality in terms of genuine character. Ive been an organizer plenty of times but I don't believe that qualifies me as a leader. I never led a cause in a new direction that made a real difference in the lives of others. Even when I was an organizer part of me knows I was doing it for the medical school app.

I don't know why Im questioning all this right now but for some reason its been important to me lately. Im grateful for you thoughts cuz they help me to think more into this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that very few doctors are leaders, but many are managers: http://intergon.net/leadershipactionverbs.pdf
Since you have a defined role within the healthcare system, you don't need to lead, and I'm not sure you could even if you wanted to, because of administrative restrictions, unless you're in solo private practice. But then who are you leading? NPs/PAs?
So I'm skeptical about med schools that claim to desire or create "future leaders". I assume they mean they want to train future med school faculty, but I'm not sure that faculty are closer to leadership than doctors.

i agree with your mentor

Unfortunately, leadership as it applies to medical school applications and 'real' leadership often tend to be two very different things. The leadership experiences listed on med school apps usually simply reflect some ability in, or at least familiarity with, managing others (as explained by @karayaa). Fortunately, the experiences and lessons of real leadership are more personally rewarding and beneficial to you.

Truth is, real leadership does not have to be exceptional or lead to major life changing outcomes. This expectation tends to cause people to be afraid to step up to the helm of leadership. Good leadership is essential in almost any group situation whether it's a trivial task or a life-changing goal. And in my opinion, to be a good leader one simply must have the courage to take responsibility for guiding a group towards a common goal. To be a great leader, one must seek to put everyone else's needs in the group above their own while doing so. Most of what your mentor was talking about regarding leadership reflects the need for a person to put away their own selfish desires and fears so that they focus on serving those that they lead.

Contribution alone is not enough for leadership. A leader's job is to maximize the contributions of others towards the goals of the group.

While the pursuit of becoming a great leader may not directly affect your med school application, the benefits to your life may be immense. It seems that real leaders are sometimes hard to find (especially those that aren't leading solely for their own benefit) and the world definitely needs great leaders. I would have to disagree with @karayaa about the lack of leadership roles in healthcare. In my experience I have seen many facets of healthcare which need to operate as a team. Multi-system trauma care in the ED or a code definitely needs a calm and cool-headed leader to guide the other members of the healthcare team in caring for the patient. While the doctor will naturally take the lead in these situations, there is a difference between managing a team and leading them and good leadership foundations could be key in saving a life.

Leadership usually takes time to learn and develop. The simple fact you are interested in leadership is a good sign you're on the right path. Good luck in this pursuit.