Cheaper to register for restructured Step 3 now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medphil

MD/PhD hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be cheaper to register for the restructured Step 3 now? I don't plan to take Step 3 until (next) May. But there are still 7 days to register and pay $800... would I be able to register now and get the current lower price to take the new restructured Step 3 in June?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You will be registering for the old structure, for which registrations are open until the 18th. The way Step 3 works is that your eligibility period starts as soon as they process your application. You don't get to choose. If you apply now, your eligibility will be until the end of September, which is the last month that the current Step 3 will be administered.

No one knows... but if you register now you must take it in the next 3 months or you loose your $800...

Personally the new format sounds kinda better to me... the CSS will be separate and can be taken on a different day from the rest of the test.. currently from what I gather the Step 3 is kinda like taking the Step 2 Ck and then the very next day taking the CS...

Not really, given that you can order as many tests as you like and the case moves forward as you go along. I see it as a twisted version of the Step 2 CK where you're not confined to the best initial and most accurate but also have to play by some uncertain rules.

Also, the new Step 3 will incorporate more basic sciences. Not sure I want to answer esoteric Step 1 questions again. Two separate days is a plus for some though.