Cheapest DPT Programs....?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcrat21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this in the "Concerns about DEBT" thread, but I figured I would ask everyone:

Since everyone is so adamant about going to the cheapest school possible, can someone please tell me which private/out-of-state public schools offer the cheapest tuition? I live in VA, so I know I have some in-state options in ODU and VCU, but can someone please enlighten me
as to which schools not in VA have a reasonable tuition rate for out-of-state students?

Reasonable I guess means...less than $70,000?

Appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like the same help for schools in NY, PA, NJ.....remember to include cost of living with tuition rates.....i cant seem to find anything cheap in these areas

FYI... PTCAS has a list of all the PT programs in the country (including links to the programs web page). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI... PTCAS has a list of all the PT programs in the country (including links to the programs web page). Good luck.

I think everyone on this board knows that. It can be a pain to search through every single program to find their tuition rates, which is why we are asking all of the knowledgeable people on the board who have either the most current rates after having been to interviews or spoken with someone directly, or maybe who attend the schools...thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
I think everyone on this board knows that. It can be a pain to search through every single program to find their tuition rates, which is why we are asking all of the knowledgeable people on the board who have either the most current rates after having been to interviews or spoken with someone directly, or maybe who attend the schools...thanks.

It's called research, something you will be required to do in DPT school. I'd rather find the answer myself rather than rely on second hand knowledge.

It's called research, something you will be required to do in DPT school. I'd rather find the answer myself rather than rely on second hand knowledge.

Just looking for someone else's experience with varying tuition rates and their thoughts on COL, as well. I've done research-some sites are outdated, some are ambiguous. This is part of my research. If you don't have anything to contribute then don't respond to the thread. No need to be snippy with me...

Western Carolina Univ. in Cullowhee (near Asheville), NC
$15K for the entire 3 year program for in-state residents-- I think about $30K for out of state

University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Out-of-state tuition at public schools in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Arizona and North Dakota is very reasonable, but expect lots of competition (except maybe North Dakota - brrr!). Most private schools that have tuition in the low $70's or below with modest cost of living tend to be in the Midwest or Southwest. In those areas you might consider Southwest Baptist, U of Mary, Hardin-Simmons, Rocky Mountain U, Bradley, Clarke, Carroll, Des Moines, St. Ambrose, Mayo, St. Scholastica, St. Catherine and Rosalind Franklin. In the East you may want to look at St. Augustine, Shenandoah, Husson, Hartford, Mercer, Chatham and Wheeling Jesuit (I guess you could consider the Pittsburgh/Wheeling area to be either East or Midwest). Some of these private schools don't offer a lot of spots because they offer guaranteed admission to their undergrads, and some are in some pretty remote locations, but if cheap is what you want, these won't break your bank account.

Slippery Rock University - an hour north of Pittsburgh. It's a really small school and there isn't much to do around here (I live close by) but the whole program is about 45K and they offer assistantships for the 2nd and 3rd year. I've talked to current students and they told me just about everyone who wants an assistantship gets one. Of course, you have to put in the time and you won't get the benefits of a bigger program but if all you are looking for at this point is cost, it's a good option

Keeping in mind that these numbers may change once the CSUs (California State Universities) officially begin offering the DPT (for at least the incoming class of 2011 they will remain MPT programs) -- the cost of out-of-state tuition, by my rough estimate puts out-of-state tuition around $55-60K (Instate fees ~ $3500K/semester, Out-of-state add on is $372/unit -- at about 80 units per program). This of course isn't including any fees you pay while on clinical rotations or during summer courses -- but we all know finding exact information on tuition/cost of attendance at programs is well, not easy.

Hope that helps and maybe gives you some food for thought.

Western Carolina Univ. in Cullowhee (near Asheville), NC
$15K for the entire 3 year program for in-state residents-- I think about $30K for out of state

...what.

That's crazy inexpensive! In-state at my school of choice is a hair less than double the oos tuition there!

I mentioned this on the other thread, but NIU = $25,000 total for in state. I looked it up, and it's exactly twice that for out of state.

EDIT: I am retracting my previous statement, PT0331 makes some very valid points about WCU and despite another poster's conflicting reports posted earlier. There's always 2 sides. I've withdrawn my app primarily because of the strong IS schools and their fit for my area. WCU has switched over to a DPT program now, and their price for IS tuition is undeniably one of the lowest sticker price mentioned with high pass rates.

Thanks for commenting PT0331.

Last edited:
I withdrew my app from Western NC last fall from reports of some malignancy, never been there, but cheap schools may not always have the best environment. My current IS schools offer much stronger curriculum and instructor quality for the same price.

Western Carolina is a DPT program now and instate is about 25k for the program and about double that for out of state. I was undergrad there and I have many friends that have been through and are in the program now and speak very highly of it. Their NPTE pass rates are 95% last I checked, and they are moving into brand new facilities(160k square feet) starting in August of 2011. Looks pretty solid. Only thing that may be a turn off for some is many of the students in the program are non traditional. I am 31 myself so that's not a problem for me but others may not like that.

EDIT: I am retracting my previous statement, PT0331 makes some very valid points about WCU and despite another poster's conflicting reports posted earlier. There's always 2 sides. I've withdrawn my app primarily because of the strong IS schools and their fit for my area. WCU has switched over to a DPT program now, and their price for IS tuition is undeniably one of the lowest sticker price mentioned with high pass rates.

Thanks for commenting PT0331.

Hey thanks hefe. Oh and I was a bit off in saying their NPTE pass rate was %95
it is %99 (98.85 to be exact). That's actually just a hair higher than UNC-CH. Check it out for yourself on: https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidatesAndLicensees/NPTE/PassRates/index.asp#UltimatePassRate
look up NC pass rates.