Chemical forumlas in Kreb's Cycle and Glycolysis...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passion2K7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently studying metabolism stuff, and have a quick question. I wanted to know if I need to know the chemical forumlas in Glycolysis and Kreb's cycle for the MCAT.

-Passion2k7

Members don't see this ad.

Thx for the quick reply.

When you say which steps are anaerobic/aerobic, you mean glycolysis+pyruvate oxidation+cytric acid cycle+respiratory chain for aerobic vs. glycolysis+fermentation for anaerobic?

For glycolysis, I know that it changes glucose (6c molecule) to two pyruvate (3c molecules), NAD+ into NADH +H, and 2 ADP+ PI -> 2 ATP's. Am I responsible for 10 steps within glycolysis. They seem to contain too much detail, and all I remember now is just that the first half steps are endergonic, while the rest are exergenic (enever-harvesting reactions to produce ATP's).

For the Kreb's cycle, am I responsible for each step (such as taking NAD+ -> NADH + H & CO2 when going from Isocitrate to a-Ketoglutarate... etc)?

Again, thx for the replies! =)

For class you might need to know them (I did) but I think it is beyond the scope of the MCAT.

They won't ask a stand alone about the 6th step of the krebs and the enzyme used.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you heard me right

and you should know that NADH is the 'charged' form... reduced

ps, brett, have you taken the mcat yet :) I see your posts everywhere, what stage in the application process are you?

anon-y-mouse said:
yes, you heard me right

and you should know that NADH is the 'charged' form... reduced

ps, brett, have you taken the mcat yet :) I see your posts everywhere, what stage in the application process are you?
I'm prepping now yet I have obtained a wealth of info from various places.

in o-chem section of mine had to know stucture (fischer projections) of various sugars (like fructose, glucose, galactose) at least biochem was good for something.........

Nikki2002 said:
in o-chem section of mine had to know stucture (fischer projections) of various sugars (like fructose, glucose, galactose) at least biochem was good for something.........

Anything else from biochem?