Chemical Kinetics w/ graph and log - Kaplan Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tshank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help explain this problem to me? I found Kaplan's explanation confusing and lacking. I am utterly lost on this one.

Here is the necessary information from Kaplan Kinetics Test 1 to answer #16 and #17

71102.45.h020216mg01.gif
71102.45.h020216gg01.gif
71102.45.h020216img02.gif

Here are the questions, answers, and Kaplan's explanation

What is the activation energy for Reaction 1?
A - 9.71 kJ/mole
B - 22.4 kJ/mole
C - 80.7 kJ/mole
D - 186 kJ/mole (CORRECT)

If you didn't know how to read Figure 1, this question would be rather difficult to answer. Keep in mind that the MCAT incorporates graphs and data tables into their passages, and you can count on questions like this one. Anyway, Figure 1 is a plot of the log of the rate constant versus the inverse of the temperature. You are also given the slope of the line. Where do you see a relationship between the rate constant and the temperature? You see it in Equation 1, the Arrhenius equation. What you need to realize is that Figure 1 is a plot of Equation 1. If you take the log of both sides of Equation 1, you get that the log of k is equal to the log of A - Ea divided by the product of 2.303, the ideal gas constant, and the temperature. (As you can see, you must know how to manipulate logarithms, too.) This is in the form of the general equation for a straight line: y is equal to mx + b, where b is the y intercept and m is the slope. Because x = 1/T, the slope of this line is equal to -Ea divided by the product of 2.303 and the ideal gas constant, and you are given the numerical value of the slope at the top of Figure 1. So, all you need to do is solve for the activation energy, Ea, and approximate the answer, since the choices are pretty spread out.
m = -Ea/2.303R
-9.71 x 103 K= -Ea/2.303 x 8.314 J mol-1K-1
-10 x 103 (20 J mol-1) = -Ea
200 x 103 J mol-1 = 200 kJ mol-1 = Ea

Choice D is the closest and is, therefore, the correct choice.
(A) Miscalculation. This answer choice is the result of misinterpreting the relationship between Equation 1 and Figure 1. This answer choice suggests that the slope is equal to -Ea, when in fact the slope is really equal to -Ea/2.303R.
(B) Miscalculation. This answer choice is the result of guessing and/or random errors in calculation. If you guessed this answer choice, subconsciously you may have been remembering that 22.4 is an important number in gases, as it's the volume of one mol of gas at STP.
(C) Miscalculation. This answer choice is the result of random errors in calculation.

In Figure 1, what does the intercept with the y-axis represent?

A - log A (CORRECT)
B - log K
C - Ea
D - something i can't remember

The logarithmic form of the Arrhenius equation, log k = log A - Ea/2.303RT is in the form of the general equation of the straight line, y = mx + b. y is equal to the log of k, m (as we determined in the last question) is equal to -Ea/2.303R, and x is equal to 1/T. That leaves b as equal to the log of A; thus, Choice A is the correct answer.
(B) Distortion. The log of k is equal to y, not the y intercept.
(C) Distortion. -Ea is merely part of the slope.
(D) Distortion. This expression really does not correspond to anything.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
k=A*10^(-Ea/2RT)
logk=log(A)-Ea/2RT

we know the graph is a plug of logk with respect to 1/t, which means the slope is just -Ea/2.3R.
since the slope is -9.71*10^3, Ea/2R=9.71*10^3 --> Ea=9.71*10^3(8.3154)2=2*80*10^3J=2*80kJ=160kj

Last edited:
Another way of visualizing this question is realizing k=Ae^(-Ea/RT)
lnk=lnA-Ea/Rt
2.3logk=2.3log(A)-Ea/RT
logk=log(A)-Ea/2.3RT

Thanks a bunch for the help; there is one connection I am just not understanding. Why the slope = Ea/2RT and not Log(A)??

I think this is right, check me:
Considering y= mx + b

x = 1/T
m = must be everything related to Ea/2.3RT except 1/T
meaning
m = Ea/2.3R?????

b = must be -logA since its not apart of Ea/2.3RT??

y = logk

So it all starts with recognizing what the X factor is and the Y factors, and then the slope. After seeing that you magically know to use the log formula to put the Arrhenius equation in an understandable form that is related to the graph and date you see. Basically the data in the table given means nothing... and interpreting the graph is everything?

Is this right? If so, any suggestions or tips on how to think about MCAT graphs and derive that info, or notice you need to derive this info in the future?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

@tshank, you are correct that you have to realize that the graph is linear with the y=logk and x=1/t . for a linear function, y=mx+b. Since we are given the slope, we have to relate the slope=-Ea/2.3RT.

In general chemistry, we learned that rate constant, k=Ae^(-Ea/RT)
so, lnk=lnA-Ea/RT
the natural log function is a linear function with slope=-Ea/R
After little bit manipulation 2.3logk=2.3logA-Ea/RT
logK=logA-Ea/2.3RT
The log function is also linear with slope= -Ea/2.3R
In both cases, x=1/t