Chemistry Classes!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it is a good idea to take gen chem I and org chem I together in the fall? I might add a class like history or foreign language to get the 11-12 credits for financial aid, but nothing else. I must also confess that gen chem is a repeat for me so I am somewhat familiar with the material. I am a little nervous because I am being really hard on myself to pass these classes this semester, so please any input is much appreciated! :) THANKS IN ADVANCE! ;)
PS: I think the first time around I totally scared myself to the point that I didn't really grasp the info in gen chem, but now I know what to expect!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did it last fall. Actually, what I did was Ochem 1, Gen chem 2, Phys 1 and Bio 1... all together with labs. But I didn't work.. so that wasn't too bad.

Go for it. Many people take two or three sciences at a time and do well. I'm sure you can too.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is just my opinion, if others feel differently, please chime in.

I'd say to go ahead and do it. If you've already taken the Gen Chem once, it shouldn't be that bad.

IMHO, Organic chem is basically drawing stick figures with dots and letters. There are a couple of general rules.
N's get 3 sticks and 2 dots
C's get 4 sticks
H's get 1 stick, any other halogen gets 1 stick and 6 dots
O's get 2 sticks and 4 dots, or 1 stick and 3 dots.

Something can have 1 less stick and 2 more dots or 2 less dots and 1 more stick.

Just about the only thing from Gen that is really really required as a prereq for O is the pKa principles, Le Chatelier's Principle, and knowledge of where things lie on the periodic table. There's also terminology, but you'll pick that up when you start using it.

Just be prepared to do a lot of work, hunker down, don't procrastinate, seek help if you need it. Best of luck to you.

Gerg

How does your school allow you to take gen CHM1 and 2 in the same period?

gildas: I never said anything about taking the 2 gen chem classes together. I said I was going to take gen chem I and org chem I, read the post again! ;) thanks for the replys and more are welcome!! you guys are really a great bunch. :thumbup: :love: everyone have a wonderful weekend and be safe.

Gerg: thanks for the extra information, I will definitely look out for those things!!

gildas said:

Great question. Yeah, uhhh, I'm taking advanced human population genetics and bio 101 next semester.

Take the courses in order. Unless (like many pre-meds) you dont care about thoroughly understanding the material.

just take it in order. and ditto on the statement on how your school allows this since gchem is usually the prereq for ochem.

I see we have a bit of confusion here! :confused: first off, in my original statement, I do remember saying that I TOOK gen chem I and have to repeat it. second, at my school it says that gen chem is recommended to take orgo not a PREREQ. now there is a difference b/c some of the other courses listed says that there is a prereq, but others say that certain classes are recommended in order to take another course.
Ex: it says that before one tries to take physics it is RECOMMENDED that you take trigonometry,but its not stated as a prereq for physics. I'm not sure if its like that for other schools, but I usually ask before I take everything under the sun.
I hope you guys understand now! :idea: so because I took chem I and received a "D", which is passing at the same institution, I can take org I. I just basically need to buckle down and get a tutor, if needed, and get it done.

PS: what do you guys mean by taking it in order?

sistahnik said:
I hope you guys understand now! :idea: so because I took chem I and received a "D", which is passing at the same institution, I can take org I. I just basically need to buckle down and get a tutor, if needed, and get it done.

PS: what do you guys mean by taking it in order?

Don't do it! I tried this very same thing and it didn't work out. Getting a "D" in general chem means your'e not ready for orgo 1.

pathdr2b, that's does make a lot of since! so if I follow your advice I will take orgo I with my physics I in the winter semester. I just need to make a rational and well thought out decision. :confused: so actually if I do follow this plan, then I will also be able to take trig with gen chem I in the fall which will allow me to take physics without any hassle from the instructor in the winter. sounds like we have a plan!!! :D

sistahnik said:
sounds like we have a plan!!! :D

Good for you and good luck!!!

thanks a bunch for your input pathdr2b!! :thumbup:

gildas said:

If you go to a rather large university, most likely they dont even bother checking.

pathdr2b said:
Don't do it! I tried this very same thing and it didn't work out. Getting a "D" in general chem means your'e not ready for orgo 1.
People often do well in one and poorly in the other though.

any more opinions? how is everyone doing today? I'm at work being bored we had no clinic today so I've been prepping charts all day. talk to yall later! :D

bumpie bumpie bump!! hey everyone.

I'm still debating on taking the gen and org chem together this coming semester. one of the doctors I worked for said the same thing as one of the posters here, that because I previously had gen chem I should make it easier for me this time around because of the familiarity with the subject. I'm so nervous about this but I want to do it and get this stuff done. the org chem doesn't have lab until part II so there's one less lab to worry about. I just want to make sure that I'm not making trouble for myself!! :scared: :confused: :eek: :D