Chemistry question, exothermic/endothermic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tshank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an reaction is exothermic, does putting it in a cold environment make the reaction increase the product production or reactant production?

I think the products would be favored. I can only rationalize it by ruling out the opposite: knowing that if the environment was hot then heat would be added to the reaction and it would be drive the reaction towards the products.
But, can someone explain how the cold temperature would affect the products, or just rationalize the affirmative? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From my reasoning, putting it into a cold environment is equivalent to taking away heat, thus since it's exothermic:

A + B ---> C + Heat

Taking away heat will end up increase product production.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong :] I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
From my reasoning, putting it into a cold environment is equivalent to taking away heat, thus since it's exothermic:

A + B ---> C + Heat

Taking away heat will end up increase product production.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong :] I hope this helps!
this is correct. i will reiterate it for clarity.

rationalization:

exothermic rxn: A --> B + heat

when environment become cold, heat is lost, so the reaction shifts right. "an equilibrium system resists changes to equilibrium;" therefore, the system produces heat to counteract the lower temperature.

Remember, Le Chatlier's principle applies to reactants, heat, and pressure/concentration.

@tdod and @Carbon090 , Thanks guys. Yeah, I think it helps me to remember that heat flow from hot object to cold environment - therefore, the colder the environment, the more heat transferred to it from the object before it reaches equilibrium. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.