CHI-Town

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacholibre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I've spent the last month asking attendings for their opinions on programs, I get endlessly mixed reviews. One thing has been constant from every single person I've talked to...including residents.

I have heard that because there are so many programs so close together in Chicago, there is significant competition for patients and that the result of this is that no program is great...they're all sort of meh?

Because everyone seems so confident about this, I am wondering if it's a sort of urban legend or if this really is the case?

Members don't see this ad.

This is true of most big cities that have more than 1 program (Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, LA, Bay Area, etc). There are exceptions, of course. It's hard to be top dog in every subspecialty when there is so much competition in town. This is how some of the Midwest and South programs have become so good...not much academic competition in Rochester, MN or Charleston, SC.