Chicago Programs Mid 220's Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time follower of this thread with a strong interest in neuro. I am a soon to be MS3 and US IMG from a Caribbean med school. I just got my Step 1 score and received a score in the mid 220's. I am wondering how my situation will be look when applying to programs in the Midwest, specifically Chicago as that is where I was born and raised. Will I have difficulty? What can I do to approve my app (besides good LORs, Step 2, etc.). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Best shot would be to do some aways at those institutions, otherwise they might just toss your application.

Neurology is not that competitive and there are many programs in Chicago, including serveral strong academic ones such as NU, Rush, and UC. 220 is right in the middle of applicants and won't make you stand out but also shouldn't really hold you back. Assuming no red flags I doubt anyone will toss your application based on a 220 step 1; and considering I interviewed with caribean students a few cycles ago at many of the top notch programs I don't think anyone will toss your app based on that either. Just do a few aways to improve your chances and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you bet so much on him not getting interview at NWern? Do they not take IMG? Is 220 and IMG not gonna cut it? If he was American graduate would 220 be good enough?

Oh lol i noticed that NWern has had no IMG or DO in the last 3 years. Thats probably what you were referring to.

UIC or Loyola may be good options. I know NMH and they're most competitive in the city.