Chicago State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there! Just thought I would post to see if anyone had received an interview invite for CSU yet? My understanding is that they start interviewing in December....so there must be a few people out there that went in for interviews already. If you did speak up. Sent in my supplemental on 1/5 and am starting the wait for the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! Just thought I would post to see if anyone had received an interview invite for CSU yet? My understanding is that they start interviewing in December....so there must be a few people out there that went in for interviews already. If you did speak up. Sent in my supplemental on 1/5 and am starting the wait for the interview.

I was invited to interview in November for a December interview date, but I declined it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks. For those of you that are through the app process already, how long did it take for PHARMCAS to show in the supplemental app section that they had in fact received your supp app and other items. I mailed the supp app on 1/5 from Aurora, IL to Chicago, IL which is at worst a 2 day delivery. I want to stay on top of things in case my supp app does not show up as being received for a while. I guess I could also check to see when my check is cashed.

Hi folks. For those of you that are through the app process already, how long did it take for PHARMCAS to show in the supplemental app section that they had in fact received your supp app and other items. I mailed the supp app on 1/5 from Aurora, IL to Chicago, IL which is at worst a 2 day delivery. I want to stay on top of things in case my supp app does not show up as being received for a while. I guess I could also check to see when my check is cashed.

It was about a month after I sent my supplement app. before it showed up on PharmCAS, but I sent multiple supplements the same day and the other schools showed up much sooner.

Yes, Midwestern has received eveything of mine and my file reflects that info as of today. I appreciate the answer otherwise I would have been refreshing the PHARMCAS supp tab regarding CSU from now till a month from now.

Being that the supp section is where you go to check that you have submitted everything needed it is disconcerting to know that in fact it is lagging a month behind reality on what you need to do. So much for an accurate checklist that keeps you on top of your responsibilities.

So, I guess I am in the final stages for CSU. Received the email saying my app is complete and now up for review. Keeping my fingers tightly crossed that I get an interview since I don't want to have to do this all again next cycle. I am pretty impressive in an interview situation....(like my modesty?)....and know I can ace it....the key is to channel your nervous energy into enthusiasm and paying rapt attention to your interviewer.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me....are there any others out there trying for CSU? Speak up!

anyone heard back from CSU after the Jan 15th interview ?

hey just got an email for an interview on feb4. anyone else going to be there??

Congratulations on the interview!! I am currently waiting and hoping for an interview myself.

Can I ask how long it took to receive your interview after you received the email stating your file was complete and up for review?

Thanks!!

I got put in the alternate list for CSU. I interviewed on Jan. 15 and I got the email about two days ago. Looks like I will be attending Midwestern CCP instead. =]

I got put in the alternate list for CSU. I interviewed on Jan. 15 and I got the email about two days ago. Looks like I will be attending Midwestern CCP instead. =]

You really had to choose between the two? I declined my CSU interview because of the location and that fact that it is a new school. Ill see you at CCP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the interview!! I am currently waiting and hoping for an interview myself.

Can I ask how long it took to receive your interview after you received the email stating your file was complete and up for review?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the congrats! They sent me an email about a month ago saying that it was complete. I just got my interview email on Tuesday. I think you should hear back pretty quick considering that they are starting interviews. I have no idea what round they are in for the interview process .I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Found out my interview is feb 5. Anyone going to be there? Any tips?

thanks and good luck to everyone else!

HAHAAH @ bring a gat

I was a bit surprised myself when I was driving to CSU for my interview to say the least, I'm just glad i made it back in 1 peice.

I received an interview invite for Wednesday, February 10th!! I am extremely excited and relieved to have gotten it. I had all but planned out my next year if I did not get in this cycle....in a planning for the worst, hoping for the best mentality.

So much to do, so little time. Anyone else going to be there?

im relieved as well! my interviews on wednesday feb 10th too. any tips out there for us??

I will also be attending Feb 10th interviews flying in from Philly ....the area cant be that bad im used to the city life lol ...im excited but oh so nervous!!!!!!!!

the area is that bad. But the campus is nice, clean and safe. I plan on getting there by car and leaving by car so I don't worry about the neighborhood as much since I will only be on campus during the day.

Here are a few tips: dress for the cold and get a flat rate taxi to take you from the airport to the hotel (are you flying into O'Hare or Midway?) American Taxi is a taxi service I have used many times without fail.

I will be there too and wearing a long wool coat, red scarf and leather gloves, would be nice to "know" someone there - also my name is Amy

Hey guys!
Can anyone describe to us what the labs are like? I saw a not so impressive lab in the background of a picture on their website...but I did hear something about building something new for the pharmacy school in Douglas Hall. Has anyone seen it or know ANYTHING about the state of the laboratories/classrooms?
Thank you!
And good luck to everyone!

Hey guys!
Can anyone describe to us what the labs are like? I saw a not so impressive lab in the background of a picture on their website...but I did hear something about building something new for the pharmacy school in Douglas Hall. Has anyone seen it or know ANYTHING about the state of the laboratories/classrooms?
Thank you!

The picture you have seen from the website is from the undergraduate laboratory. It was taken while renovations were occuring to the COP lab. The COP lab is complete and is being used, as well as a new computer lab and lecture halls. In addition, there are plans to make a new research laboratory exclusively for COP faculty and students.

Hey guys!
Thank you!

just had my interview on friday...we did not get a tour of the labs or classes. we went to the top floor of a building and the guide pointed out buildings from the outside. not really what I expected but the interview team was nice and treated us like family. they interviewed 300+ ppl for 80 seats. it seems like everyone pretty much got an interview....seems like a lot of wasted time for a lot of people...in my opinion.... good luck to everyone!

yeah i went to check out the area...kinda shady...well only be there til 5. i am super nervous :/. canada1 how many ppl were in ur group?

yeah i went to check out the area...kinda shady...well only be there til 5. i am super nervous :/. canada1 how many ppl were in ur group?

about 10 in my group. everyone was very nice. there was also a morning group (about the same amount). they do about 20-30 interviews a day...by the sounds of it.

Just had my interview today. It was a very good experience. I was very impressed! Will type more about the experience over the weekend, but now have to go study for an OChem test for tomorrow.

Okay, I wanted to come back and tell you about my experience yesterday during my interview at Chicago State University. First of all, I think those that bash this program are seriously under informed or just flat out misinformed. The meeting was an eye opener. Here is what I learned that I didn't know.

CSU is the fourth pharmacy school to open in the state of Illinois. They are currently in the process to achieve full accreditation, as is the third pharmacy school to open in the state of Illinois, Southern Illinois University COP at Edwardsville. Both schools are moving toward full accreditation, which is an intensive and ongoing process, that involves a lot of communication with the accreditation body. Tweaking of the program here and there is required to align the COP's activities with the requirements of the accreditation board. CSU's COP has actually been ahead of schedule in completing goals established for them by the accreditation committee. I have no doubt that CSU's COP will achieve full accreditation on schedule with ZERO problems. The college is run by enthused and dedicated people. I was there to impress them but surprisingly, they impressed me with their clear dedication to the school and the students.

The COP is currently interviewing for their third cycle. The inaugural class, which was slightly under one hundred students (sorry can't remember the exact number), all made it to their P2 year, except for one. That one person made the decision to withdraw after realizing that they did not really want to become a pharmacist. Of the second class of 99 students (they are P1s this year) all 99 students are still enrolled. I think those are great numbers. The interim dean and assistant dean of the school (as well as others that I met) repeatedly conveyed their commitment to each and every student in the pharmacy program. The school has a small number of students and seems to take an interest in each and every one of the students and their ultimate success. They have correctly figured out that in order for the school to succeed the students need to succeed.

Lastly, I want to address the issues that seem to get everyone up in arms about the school, and that is the graduation rate of first time freshman in CSU's undergraduate level. Because that rate is low compared to other schools there has been negative press for the school. This ranking is based on 6 percent of the undergraduate school population. These six percent do not graduate fast enough for the accreditation board, and because of that the school has received low marks. However, you need to remember that CSU serves the south side of Chicago which is mainly a minority and low income area. Instead of graduating in four years, this population takes five, six, seven, eight or even more years to graduate. Why? Because as low income students sometimes there isn't enough money to go through school in a sequential manner. A semester or two is taken off so that money can be earned to pay the bills and when there is enough they enroll again for another semester. The result of this is that the statistics look bad for CSU but that is because the board is comparing apples to oranges.

I think that CSU's COP is an exciting program run by really interesting, dedicated, and genuine people.

Last edited:
Just received an acceptance letter from CSU!!!! Yippeeeeee!!!!! Am feeling really good about going to a school with a small class size. Good luck to anyone else in process!!!

Now I am off to celebrate with my daughter! We are going to see the animated movie The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I know, I know I am a wild woman when it comes celebrating.

Just got my acceptance email earlier, but i will be declining so there will be 1 extra spot for you all.

Good luck to those interviewing and waiting.

YAY i got my interview invite for Feb 22nd, I'm so excited =) I was giving up hope and preparing for next year's cycle since I messed up so much my freshman and sophomore year. I don't really think it matters where you go, a degree is a degree and you can get a job anywhere. My sister went to Temple in Philly and she said it was pretty scary, but now she's making 120K a year in sunny San Diego so I ain't hating!! haha. Keep the faith ppl!!

I was checking through Pharmcas and it stated that I need:

Letter of Rec from Sci Prof
Letter of Rec from Academic/Pre Health Advisor
Letter of Rec from Pharmacist or Health Profession

I already did all that through PharmCAS electronically . Do they want a physical copy as well?

After my application had been mailed already per PharmCAS, my supplemental application information said the same thing for about a month until CSU was able to go through my file and note that the appropriate LORs were received. After that point, my PharmCAS was updated to reflect what items they had received and when.

How long has it been since PharmCAS mailed your application to CSU? If it has been more than a month then it would be a good idea to email CSU and mention that it has been a while and your supp materials list does not reflect your submission of the LORs. You have forwarded your supplemental application at this point right?

OMG YAY! i just got an acceptance letter too!! i am so happy and i don't mind the small classes or anything either..the area is NOT as bad as ppl think or say it is!

good luck to everyone else!

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! It would be nice to have a facebook group for the 2014 class to address questions and talk about housing, fees, forms, orientation, etc. Do you think there will be an official group later or can anybody start one?

If you set up a facebook page I will join! I don't know if there would be a formal one set up. Seems more likely that a student would do this. Let me know if you are going to set one up and I will join. Or if you don't want to set it up, I would be glad to do it.

Just curious does anyone know how CSU is doing with regard to securing rotation sites to fulfill the requirements for all their students? Are they having hard time with all the competition from the other two schools?

Just curious does anyone know how CSU is doing with regard to securing rotation sites to fulfill the requirements for all their students? Are they having hard time with all the competition from the other two schools?

Hey Museabuse, good question. The answer to your question is no. We have some really great sites for retail pharmacy (Wal Mart, CVS, Walgreens, Jewel, Target), Public Health sites (american diabetes association, american heart association, american cancer association, Cook County Department of Health, etc...), and I'm most impressed of all with the hospital sites. With The hospital rotations we are contracted with the University of Chicago so we have about 24-30 students going there each week for rotation sites, as well as the VA, Cook County Hospital, Northwestern (downtown), Little Company of Mary, Evanston Hospital, and many more. We are virtually at every major hospital. It's been a great experience at the hospitals too.

It'll take awhile to show because FB is currently working on a search engine problem.

Can you post the link to the group? Facebook search function is still not working. Who knows when they will get it straightened out.

hi all!

i just recently found out yesterday, that i got an invitation to go to csu pharmacy for an interview! that said, because i have to book a flight and hotel immediately, can any one recommend a cheap hotel thats located near the college? any help/advice is appreciated. thanks!

Well, if it were me, I would get a hotel room in the Oak Lawn area and get a taxi to take me to and from the school.

You are in an area that has the Metra train, the Red Line El, and buses but for a person who is unfamiliar with these public transportation options it could be more trouble than it is worth. Worrying about getting to the interview on time and such would make it not worth the risk of using public transportation.

I suggested a hotel room in Oak Lawn because if you go north to the next good area you are hitting the Hyde Park like communities and hotel rooms won't be cheap at all. Oak Lawn is West of the Chicago State Campus by about a 15 minute car ride.

As far as finding something that could be termed cheap, well, I guess it depends on what your definition of cheap is. The area is a bit rough and I am sure you could find something very cheap but not safe or up to average standards. Therefore, instead of risking it with an unknown local motel, I would check out the chains that are reliable in the area. I have used Trip Advisor.com online and searched for a hotel in my desired area and then picked based on the cost and the overall positive reviews of the people who have stayed there. That always seems to work for me and I never get stuck in a crummy hotel.

A good taxi company is American Taxi. They have a site online too. I would use them to get from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the school, and from the school back to the hotel again. They have flat rates to different neighborhoods from the airport so you don't feel like you are being ripped off. If you use them to get you to school, I would make sure you have them arrive at your hotel in twice the amount of time it would take for you to get to the school. For instance, if your interview appt was at 11:45, I would ask them to pick you up at 11:00. This way if you are sitting there and for some reason they don't show up you still have plenty of time to call another cab company and get to your appointment with plenty of time. American taxi is very reliable though so that shouldn't happen. Good luck!