Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve been certifying and editing and then certifying again lol too paranoid I might forget if I don't.

I'm planning on looking at it once again mid December before its due but mostly forgetting about it from here on out. Thankfully i have a bunch of time off soon and the mountains are calling.

Time to finish up my car camping setup and start chasing powder.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In other news...

One of my attendings had someone email the PDs at my top programs with a letter because she "totally forgot" to write it and send it in during application cycle. I was fine since I had enough writers and you know sheet happens but I appreciated the effort.

Turns out the email was addressed to the PDs, ie they can see who's on it. Oh and I'm cc'ed as well so it looks like I've read it.

I hope programs understand that no applicant would ever ask for this, but at this point I honestly don't even I can reach out to anyone and do any damage control.

Big friggin sigh. It is what it is though I guess. I can't really even do anything.

I hope it gives the programs a chuckle. It is kind of hilarious. I'm sure the lists are all made and signed already anyway so it probably won't affect anything lol.

• Care
In other news...

One of my attendings had someone email the PDs at my top programs with a letter because she "totally forgot" to write it and send it in during application cycle. I was fine since I had enough writers and you know sheet happens but I appreciated the effort.

Turns out the email was addressed to the PDs, ie they can see who's on it. Oh and I'm cc'ed as well so it looks like I've read it.

I hope programs understand that no applicant would ever ask for this, but at this point I honestly don't even I can reach out to anyone and do any damage control.

Big friggin sigh. It is what it is though I guess. I can't really even do anything.

I hope it gives the programs a chuckle. It is kind of hilarious. I'm sure the lists are all made and signed already anyway so it probably won't affect anything lol.
🤦‍♂️ Honestly don’t give it a second thought I am sure programs won’t give it a second thought and it surely won’t make a difference with how they ranked you.

Members don't see this ad :)
In other news...

Ugh, I’m sorry.. but I agree with DObound. I don’t think this will hurt you

Ugh, I’m sorry.. but I agree with DObound. I don’t think this will hurt you
🤦‍♂️ Honestly don’t give it a second thought I am sure programs won’t give it a second thought and it surely won’t make a difference with how they ranked you.

Thanks yall, but I kinda want to reply all with the gif of Homer Simpson going back into the bushes.

Ala

tenor.gif

In other news...

This is just a big oof :|

I don't think anyone will care. I think "giving up the right to review an LOR" doesn't mean the applicants haven't seen it. Maybe I'm too much of a skeptic.

I don't think anyone will care. I think "giving up the right to review an LOR" doesn't mean the applicants haven't seen it. Maybe I'm too much of a skeptic.

I don't think I've seen any of mine, fellowship or otherwise. I opened this one and read the first few lines and closed it. It just feels weird reading about what people like about me. Maybe it's just me.

People bring them up at interviews and that makes me pretty uncomfortable. I just usually state that said letter writer has been a positive influence and/or role model so I'm appreciative of their kind words.

I don't think I've seen any of mine, fellowship or otherwise. I opened this one and read the first few lines and closed it. It just feels weird reading about what people like about me. Maybe it's just me.

People bring them up at interviews and that makes me pretty uncomfortable. I just usually state that said letter writer has been a positive influence and/or role model so I'm appreciative of their kind words.

I wonder how common that is? Most people have wanted to show me the letter they wrote because they are proud of their handy work or people have read them to me at interviews. I think it's good to know how people put you down on paper. But it's also helpful to know if your references are skilled in this area (not everyone is) or are actually people you should be seeking recommendations from.

I wonder how common that is? Most people have wanted to show me the letter they wrote because they are proud of their handy work or people have read them to me at interviews. I think it's good to know how people put you down on paper. But it's also helpful to know if your references are skilled in this area (not everyone is) or are actually people you should be seeking recommendations from.
I haven't read any of my own recs but I am actually really interested in doing so after match edit: "if I could that is lol." I have had interviewers read snippets to me which made my imposter syndrome shoot through the roof lol but it was still quite nice.

Last edited:
I haven't read any of my own recs but I am actually really interested in doing so after match edit: "if I could that is lol." I have had interviewers read snippets to me which made my imposter syndrome shoot through the roof lol but it was still quite nice.

100% this.

I think I'm undergrad we were allowed to ask to see our files, but I basically just forgot lol. Didn't think it was doable for med school. Not sure how it works for residency or fellowship.

And yall, why are the medicine and peds matches happening already? Why can't CAP happen in a reasonable time frame too. I'm getting so impatient!

1.5 weeks till I head to the mountains and forget about all this shenanigans until after match.

Has anyone been getting letters from programs? How are you responding to them if they aren’t your #1?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been getting letters from programs? How are you responding to them if they aren’t your #1?
I honestly haven’t been responding but I am not really sure what to do with Rank to match emails from programs that aren’t my number 1 I wish my number one would send me a rank to match email lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious which programs are sending rank to match emails? Maybe PM since sharing on here seems risky. Are most programs doing this? I haven't gotten any :cryi:

Same boat here :/

I want to tell myself that the programs I applied to are so virtuous that they'd never do such a thing but lets be honest...they all play games.

How reliable is such statement btw? If someone (a PD for example) calls you and says you’re “ranked to match”?

I’m not going to change my ranking because of it and I do know how the matching algorithm works, but I just want to know if I should believe I won’t fall past such program if they tell me that.

How reliable is such statement btw? If someone (a PD for example) calls you and says you’re “ranked to match”?

I’m not going to change my ranking because of it and I do know how the matching algorithm works, but I just want to know if I should believe I won’t fall past such program if they tell me that.
So RTM can mean a lot of things basically it can mean that you are in the typical range that they match their spots but it does not mean a guaranteed spot a guaranteed spot means they have ranked you in their top whatever many they take so if they take 8 then you are in their top 8 and will not fall past them. That said all programs especially for child do what they have to do to match and fill I would like to think no one is lying but you just never know.

I honestly haven’t been responding but I am not really sure what to do with Rank to match emails from programs that aren’t my number 1 I wish my number one would send me a rank to match email lol.
Yeah I think it's a strange experience to get those emails and I hope your #1 emails you!

So RTM can mean a lot of things basically it can mean that you are in the typical range that they match their spots but it does not mean a guaranteed spot a guaranteed spot means they have ranked you in their top whatever many they take so if they take 8 then you are in their top 8 and will not fall past them. That said all programs especially for child do what they have to do to match and fill I would like to think no one is lying but you just never know.
That's really helpful to hear! Thank you

Have programs traditionally reached out to applicants around this time in the past? I haven't heard any news besides a standard thank you email

Are we there yet?
4 weeks tomorrow so closer I guess 🤦‍♂️ I definitely just got January 5th off as there’s no way I’ll be able to properly concentrate prior to that 12 eastern email lol my IM friends told me the email came exactly at 12.

Anyone get the MGH form letter saying it was the most competitive cycle in the last decade and they'll welcome your app next cycle and/or your application to apply to the faculty in the future? Kind of strange that they had a bit in there about 'should you choose to forestall your application', but I guess I appreciate the email. Kind of weird to do it so late in the game. They clearly weren't going to reach out to anyone for interviews after like early-mid nov!

The 'choose to forestall your application' bit is a bit strange because they're basically asking you to reapply, but it doesn't specifically say 'good luck in the cycle' or anything like that. I know I'm overthinking this, but it just struck me as a bit weird.

4 weeks tomorrow so closer I guess 🤦‍♂️ I definitely just got January 5th off as there’s no way I’ll be able to properly concentrate prior to that 12 eastern email lol my IM friends told me the email came exactly at 12.

I'm basically going to be away for almost 3 of the 4 weeks we have left. I have to work that day but I'll definitely be freaking out all morning. Thankfully, it's really hard to think about just about anything else when snowboarding so that'll be a relief. I just need to force myself to go back into ERAS and make sure that everything is set before I leave next week. I haven't touched the order since I input it the first time and I'm probably not going to mess with it anyway.

Cross your fingers for snow plz. Looking a bit dry out west right now :(

• Wow
Are the emails/calls coming from 'top programs' or from more of your mid-tier etc spots?

Submission deadline is tomorrow I assume programs will stop calling/emailing so we can all stop answering spam calls from places worrying it’s a program calling lol. Good luck everyone!

Submission deadline is tomorrow I assume programs will stop calling/emailing so we can all stop answering spam calls from places worrying it’s a program calling lol. Good luck everyone!

I've logged on like 5 times to certify/recertify just because...

But really, that's the real fear mang!

And lol @ spam calls. Thanks google for pre-screening them all for me!

• Haha
Yikes. What was this program’s call schedule? And what made the fellows seem unsupported?
It was both years, weekend calls, I think also weekday? And CAP 1 weekends were like 48 hour home calls 😭

So uhhh this noon email.... Does it just say where you matched in the email or does it give you a link to log into the system?

So uhhh this noon email.... Does it just say where you matched in the email or does it give you a link to log into the system?
The email says where you matched. You can also log into the NRMP and the results display there also.

Happy almost new year to my fellow future CAPers! We're almost there!

24hrs...

😬😬😬😬😬😬

• Wow
So lets say worse case scenario one doesnt match. Is there an easy way to find which programs didnt fill?

So lets say worse case scenario one doesnt match. Is there an easy way to find which programs didnt fill?
I am pretty sure a list gets released of programs and match spots. Also the last couple of years people actually posted here on the SDN psych forum openings at their programs. There are going to be a ton of unmatched spots but I am sure you’ll match positive thoughts!

Guysssssssssss!!! We did it!

Matched at my #1 which I'm so stoked about.

To those that may have gone unmatched, I really hope you can find something in a geographic area that works for you. We need as many CAP folks right now as possible. I hope you all find a spot! Can't wait to work alongside you!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who matched!

I’m a PGY3 who decided to apply very recently so am late for NRMP. I emailed NRMP and they very kindly told me they will only provide that list if I registered for the match 😒

Could someone provide a list of unfilled child/adolescent programs from the NRMP? I'm sure other applicants would appreciate that list too. :)

I don't know about a comprehensive list but as of now there are 2 spots unfilled at UMASS and it's a fantastic program.

I don't know about a comprehensive list but as of now there are 2 spots unfilled at UMASS and it's a fantastic program.

Can confirm.
Amazing faculty, access to an incredible state hospital that sees some really sick kids, lots of research, and it goes on. I actually like Worcester and it's only an hour from Boston.

I rotated there in med school and loved it. The new CAP PD is just an all around wonderful human.

Highly recommend reaching out to them tbh.

Random thought if we fast tracked into a different program then our Adult residency do we have to go back and request our adult diploma from them? It literally never entered my mind how that works obviously my Child one is from my new program.

Edit: maybe diploma isn't the right word certificate or whatever that piece of paper we call certifying we finished our training and add to our wall collection in future offices lol