Child fellowship after private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bekuari

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian medical student interested in practicing as a child psychiatrist in the US. I am planning to come to the US right after finishing a psychiatry residency in Canada, as my immigration situation will likely preclude me from staying an extra year for a child fellowship. My understanding is that child fellowship applicants typically apply during residency and begin the fellowship in PGY4 or PGY5. However, in my case I will likely need to apply for child fellowships after completing residency (i.e., while practicing as an adult psychiatrist).

I am wondering: is this possible (are practicing psychiatrists who have completed residency still allowed to apply to child fellowships)? If so, how common and how feasible is it (would I be at a disadvantage compared to typical applicants)?

Members don't see this ad.

is this possible (are practicing psychiatrists who have completed residency still allowed to apply to child fellowships)?
Yes, it definitely happens. It's been said that there are more child/adolescent fellowship spots thanot applicants, so you should be able to get some spot somewhere.

Yes, you should definitely be able to do a child fellowship later on in your career. That said, having spoken to many people with "visa issues," if there's one thing I've learned, there are many ways to circumvent those issues. You should speak to an immigration lawyer about the specifics of your situation, and see if there are options that you've overlooked. Or at the very least, speak with people who have dealt with a similar situation. On this board, I've been impressed with the knowledge base of splik.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian medical student interested in practicing as a child psychiatrist in the US. I am planning to come to the US right after finishing a psychiatry residency in Canada, as my immigration situation will likely preclude me from staying an extra year for a child fellowship. My understanding is that child fellowship applicants typically apply during residency and begin the fellowship in PGY4 or PGY5. However, in my case I will likely need to apply for child fellowships after completing residency (i.e., while practicing as an adult psychiatrist).

I am wondering: is this possible (are practicing psychiatrists who have completed residency still allowed to apply to child fellowships)? If so, how common and how feasible is it (would I be at a disadvantage compared to typical applicants)?

I was under the impression that you need to have completed a residency in the US to do a clinical CAP fellowship and practice child psychiatry in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
III. Fellow Appointments
III.A. Eligibility Criteria The program director must comply with the criteria for resident eligibility as specified in the Institutional Requirements. (Core)
III.A.1. Eligibility Requirements – Residency Programs
III.A.1.a) All prerequisite post-graduate clinical education required for initial entry or transfer into ACGME-accredited residency programs must be completed in ACGME-accredited residency programs, or in Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited or College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)-accredited residency programs located in Canada. Residency programs must receive verification of each applicant’s level of competency in the required clinical field using ACGME or CanMEDS Milestones assessments from the prior training program. (Core)
III.A.1.b) A physician who has completed a residency program that was not accredited by ACGME, RCPSC, or CFPC may enter an ACGME-accredited residency program in the same specialty at the PGY-1 level and, at the discretion of the program director at the ACGME-accredited program may be Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 9 advanced to the PGY-2 level based on ACGME Milestones assessments at the ACGME-accredited program. This provision applies only to entry into residency in those specialties for which an initial clinical year is not required for entry.
https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/405_child_and_adolescent_psych_2016.pdf