child psychiatrist so needed in canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madden007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other day my attending, who is a child and adolescent psychiatrist, said that Canada is so desperate for Child psychiatrists that they areoffering US board certified Child psychiatrists lucrative employments. No red tapes, no extra exams, no Canadian board certification needed. Is that true? Sounds off to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds way off to me...I looked into Ontario and BC back in 2012 and I'm boarded in child. As in the US, each province has different rules and procedures for licensing, and BC was more complicated and had heavier levels of bureaucracy than Ontario. I certainly hope that the BC process was the most unwieldy of all the provinces. I had to pay ~$1000 and have all my credentials verified before I could even apply for jobs. There's a whole different approach to work too and after I'd interviewed and verbally accepted, it was another 3-4 months before I got a contract, perhaps partly because most of the staff took all of August off. I gave up because it didn't seem like there was any response to my concerns about the contract, I'd already resigned (as I had planned and announced before interviewing), and once we agreed on a contract, I still needed them to apply for my work visa. If I had gone to work there, I would have needed a supervisor kind of like in residency and would have needed to pass their version of board certification within 5 years. A colleague warned me that their board exams are quite different. That position is still unfilled. So yeah, there's a high need, and it is easier for American-trained doctors to go there, but I haven't heard of any increased flexibility. Ontario sounded easier but I didn't pursue it beyond the interview because I really wanted to be in the northwest.

I doubt it. Lots of red tape to practice in Canada. Agree that B.C. is tougher than Ontario. Agree that Canadian board exam is different. Psychiatrists do make more in the U.S. than in Canada. It is simple. Just compared to what the ministry of health pays in each province v.s. what MediCare/Anthem BlueCross/Aetna/Optum pay in the U.S.