child psychology careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texpsych93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Brief background to my question: I'm taking a few years off between undergrad and applying to grad school to do some research, and I found myself wondering something.

I want to go into clinical psychology and focus on children. Everyone on the forum talks about how wonderful it is to work for a VA, I've read about their great benefits/pay/work/, and I'm wondering if there similarly great job opportunities for clinical psychologists who focus on children (aside from children's hospitals). If not at a hospital, are most forced into private practice or less lucrative CMHCs? I know I'm not going to get rich as a psychologist, I'd just like to get a better understanding of the options.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you an interest in working in K-12 schools, consider school psychology. The salaries are pretty decent and the job market is favorable. With a doctorate in school psych, you can pursue work in hospitals / CMHCs as long as you pursue a good amount of clinical work during your graduate studies.

Hi everyone! Brief background to my question: I'm taking a few years off between undergrad and applying to grad school to do some research, and I found myself wondering something.

I want to go into clinical psychology and focus on children. Everyone on the forum talks about how wonderful it is to work for a VA, I've read about their great benefits/pay/work/, and I'm wondering if there similarly great job opportunities for clinical psychologists who focus on children (aside from children's hospitals). If not at a hospital, are most forced into private practice or less lucrative CMHCs? I know I'm not going to get rich as a psychologist, I'd just like to get a better understanding of the options.

Thanks in advance!
I work with children and families in research settings. Most of my superiors are clinical psychologists or clinical neuroscientists, working with pediatric populations. From what I hear clinicians who don't take insurance make better money. Also, clinicians doing primarily testing can make decent money.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you an interest in working in K-12 schools, consider school psychology. The salaries are pretty decent and the job market is favorable. With a doctorate in school psych, you can pursue work in hospitals / CMHCs as long as you pursue a good amount of clinical work during your graduate studies.

This. In some areas it is much easier to find a job as a school psychologist than as a clinical psychologist. Also, if you are remotely interested in the psychopharm end of things, you might consider child psychiatry, which is highly in-demand and offers much higher salaries than child psychology.

School psychology is not the same as clinical psychology. In California, School Psychologists can not provide psychotherapy. My wife is a Licensed Educational Psychologist which is the designation used in California. Licensed Psychologists in California can do what ever they wish. Managed Health Care is only interested in the lowest cost. Therefore, counselors currently receive most referrals. Persons with the ability to pay are more likely to select a Board Certified Child Psychiatrist.

In California, the license is the deciding factor. Regardless of training, if you are not licensed as a psychologist, you can not work in any position providing psychotherapy. Being a counselor is entirely different in terms of salaried positions. Anyone can go into private practice as a counselor.

School psychology is not the same as clinical psychology. In California, School Psychologists can not provide psychotherapy. My wife is a Licensed Educational Psychologist which is the designation used in California. Licensed Psychologists in California can do what ever they wish. Managed Health Care is only interested in the lowest cost. Therefore, counselors currently receive most referrals. Persons with the ability to pay are more likely to select a Board Certified Child Psychiatrist.

California has completely different rules regarding school psychology than the rest of the US. Also, doctoral-level school psychologists can do everything that clinical psychologists do, as long as the DL school psychs pursued counseling and clinical type practicum and internship work during their graduate studies.