Chiropractors "often have more medical training than physicians in certain areas."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PTs have not even the slightest training or knowledge compared to that of a DC student. Also, chiros who actually do well in chiro school and attend an evidence based institution (some are quack mills some are actually MSK based and teach as such) are not undertrained quacks. If you would take a look at a chiro curriculum I can guarantee you you'd be surprised. Duke's DPT program, for instance, is nothing compared to a strong MSK based DC curriculum. DPT curriculum is about half the amount of hours and credits.

Except that PTs (mostly) only do things that have evidence behind them, whereas most of chiro is bull****. That’s my point.

And chiros are undertrained in re: science based treatment and medicine. If there’s a chiro school teaching actual medicine, I have yet to meet a graduate or know anyone who has.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Except that PTs (mostly) only do things that have evidence behind them, whereas most of chiro is bull****. That’s my point.

And chiros are undertrained in re: science based treatment and medicine. If there’s a chiro school teaching actual medicine, I have yet to meet a graduate or know anyone who has.
You clearly haven't seen a DC program curriculum and that is fine since most haven't. Not every chiro teaches bone on nerve and subluxation. Chiro students, if they study (hard) and take their education seriously at an institution like the one below, then they are not by any means undertrained to dx and tx non-surgical MSK conditions, and the level of knowledge learned in a DC program surpasses PT programs. It is not your fault that you don't know this, but you are just misinformed about it all just like everyone else. Take a look at this curriculum (to say this curriculum is pseudoscience and not evidence-based is ridiculous, when I was a chiro student I used Robbins, Bates, Netter etc):
Curriculum Outline - College of Chiropractic - Northwestern
Curriculum | Duke Doctor of Physical Therapy

Last edited:
You clearly haven't seen a DC program curriculum and that is fine since most haven't. Not every chiro teaches bone on nerve and subluxation. Chiro students, if they study (hard) and take their education seriously at an institution like the one below, then they are not by any means undertrained to dx and tx non-surgical MSK conditions, and the level of knowledge learned in a DC program surpasses PT programs. It is not your fault that you don't know this, but you are just misinformed about it all just like everyone else. Take a look at this curriculum (to say this curriculum is pseudoscience and not evidence-based is ridiculous, when I was a chiro student I used Robbins, Bates, Netter etc):
Curriculum Outline - College of Chiropractic - Northwestern
Curriculum | Duke Doctor of Physical Therapy
Even once you've left you've felt the need to defend Chiropractic ways. Anything that is constantly feeling the need to get approval as a legitimate probably has an inherit flaw. You'll enjoy your new career not needing to convince everyone that what you do actually works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even once you've left you've felt the need to defend Chiropractic ways. Anything that is constantly feeling the need to get approval as a legitimate probably has an inherit flaw. You'll enjoy your new career not needing to convince everyone that what you do actually works.
Because it is frustrating that people take what they hear and believe it as fact and just jump on the bandwagon of ideologies although they know little or nothing about what they are making an argument about. It is very ignorant to take views and make negative comments about an entire profession without the appropriate knowledge to make such arguments. It is tough to see people discredit other's education when they don't know the reality of it. Transitioning careers was smart for me, but good MSK-based DC's should be respected for the degree that they earned and worked hard for. Having a unique perspective on this matter, I always feel inclined to inform people on the reality of this subject.

Last edited:
Because it is frustrating that people take what they hear and believe it as fact and just jump on the bandwagon of ideologies although they know little or nothing about what they are making an argument about. It is very ignorant to take views and make negative comments about an entire profession without the appropriate knowledge to make such arguments. It is tough to see people discredit other's education when they don't know the reality of it. Transitioning careers was smart for me, but good MSK-based DC's should be respected for the degree that they earned and worked hard for. Having a unique perspective on this matter, I always feel inclined to inform people on the reality of this subject.
why did you go back to med school if DC is so great.

to all the back pain arguments, you know pain management is a MD speciality right?

why did you go back to med school if DC is so great.

to all the back pain arguments, you know pain management is a MD speciality right?
I don't like MSK. I like systemic disorders and want to pursue IM, maybe subspecialize, or FM. I also didn't say it was so great lol people love to put words in your mouth on this site. It just wasn't the right fit for me personally. It is a noble profession if practiced correctly, however many abuse that and practice quackery. There are several reasons why I left. I just want people to respect others for their degree and profession and be more informed before making an argument.

Last edited:
There's a glaringly simple answer to a growing problem in the US healthcare system
Everyone has ideas about how to solve the primary care shortage. Rather than produce more physicians focused on primary care, we are looking towards other healthcare professionals such as pharmacy to perform medical assessments. Soon there will be a "residencies" for chiropractors to attend in order to become fully licensed physicians. Who knows where healthcare will be in the next decade

I’m just curious.. did you finish Chiro school or did you leave during to move over to medical school? Did you have to beef up your EC’s or take additional classes before transitioning over?

I utilize a DO > DC because the last DC I saw was a quack. But in high school I had no clue how to vet a medical professional (nobody in the general public does), and if there are DCs who are quacks how am I supposed to know which are the good ones?

There's a reason we have EBM/Licensure/etc. for medical practices. When I see a board-certified physician I at least know there is some minimal level of science-based expertise.

I’m just curious.. did you finish Chiro school or did you leave during to move over to medical school? Did you have to beef up your EC’s or take additional classes before transitioning over?
I'm a non-trad and decided to finish chiro school completely, have been practicing in a multi-disciplinary sports medicine practice for a little over a year now after graduation. I knew that I wanted to go to medical school about half way into chiro school when I got into the clinical courses and rotations and decided it would be best to finish what I started. During my 3rd and 4th years I spent time continuing to tutor, volunteering with special needs as well as shadowing MDs/DOs. I didn't do as much clinical volunteering because I was getting a lot of clinical experience during rotations and knew I would continue to in the field after graduation since I knew I would be working in a group practice with a bunch of different healthcare providers (MDs, DCs, DOs, PAs etc). I applied to medical school and took the MCAT while practicing and was lucky enough to land some interviews and an acceptance at my top choice school. I didn't do as well in undergrad because I was screwing around and was a sociology major had to do an accelerated post-bacc before chiro school to take the pre-med courses then did very well in chiro school and was able to be rewarded for my re-invention.

I utilize a DO > DC because the last DC I saw was a quack. But in high school I had no clue how to vet a medical professional (nobody in the general public does), and if there are DCs who are quacks how am I supposed to know which are the good ones?

There's a reason we have EBM/Licensure/etc. for medical practices. When I see a board-certified physician I at least know there is some minimal level of science-based expertise.
It's difficult to tell @RNthenDoc which is a shame haha. But

Like I said you will meet quack DCs they are not difficult to find, however it isn't difficult to find a good one but you have to look in the correct places. Usually, the ones that are practicing in a multi-disciplinary group with DOs and MDs and practice with a non-surgical MSK based mindset treating conditions that are limited to the musculoskeletal system and work closely with MDs/DOs and PTs. They usually came from more medically oriented curricula at schools like Northwestern University of Health Sciences College of Chiropractic, National College of Chiropractic in chicago, Logan College of Chiropractic in STL, New York College of Chiropractic, or Western States in Oregon. Not saying that all grads from these schools don't practice quackery but you are less likely to stumble upon quacks that are pumped out of schools like Palmer College of Chiro, Life or Sherman etc. I went to Logan and I still had kids in my class that believed in and actually preached to patients that the "subluxation" BS that there is a nerve that is being impinged by a subluxation and it is causing interference with your body's innate intelligence (makes me upset just writing that nonsense on this thread-makes the profession look so bad). Typically DCs with CCSP or DACBSP are less likely to be quacks, which stand for Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician and Diplomate of American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians which are typically part of the Olympic Medical team to treat athletes and athletes in professional sports. That is my 2 cents whether you care or anyone else cares or not lol. But like I said there is so much disorganization and no standardization in philosophy which is why chiro will never advance or be accepted until every DC gets on the right page and stops preaching quackery. This is one of the big reasons I left because if it doesn't change it will be a dying profession.

Just saw a patient the other day with a "neck fracture" diagnosed via physical exam by his/her DC and was told to "walk over to the ER." I can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just saw a patient the other day with a "neck fracture" diagnosed via physical exam who was told to "walk over to the ER" by his/her DC. I can't make this stuff up.

Yep that is more than a little worrisome

Just saw a patient the other day with a "neck fracture" diagnosed via physical exam who was told to "walk over to the ER" by his/her DC. I can't make this stuff up.

Just saw a patient the other day with a "neck fracture" diagnosed via physical exam by his/her DC and was told to "walk over to the ER." I can't make this stuff up.
Other medical professionals NEVER misdiagnose ever right? It is proposed in a new Hopkin's study that medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the U.S. I'm sure they're all chiropractors

Other medical professional NEVER misdiagnose ever right?
This wasn't just a case of misdiagnosis lol. This was also a case of mismanagement. Ask your 1st semester EMT-B student what to do if they suspect a neck fracture and I guarantee they don't say, "well the ER's just down the street; have then walk over there!" The keywords in my post were diagnosed via physical exam and walk. Even ER physicians who see fractured vertebra more than most medical specialties aren't just going to feel step-off and be like "don't even bother with X-rays on this one" and certainly aren't going to have the patient walk up to radiology.

Edit: I have to admit that I'm the wrong person to be involved in a thread like this due to my experience with chiropractors and DC students. I didn't mean to offend.

Last edited:
Other medical professionals NEVER misdiagnose ever right? It is proposed in a new Hopkin's study that medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the U.S. I'm sure they're all chiropractors

I think that is beyond misdiagnosis but just my opinion.

This wasn't just a case of misdiagnosis lol. This was also a case of mismanagement. Ask your 1st semester EMT-B student what to do if they suspect a neck fracture and I guarantee they don't say, "well the ER's just down the street; have then walk over there!" The keywords in my post were diagnosed via physical exam and walk. Even ER physicians who see fractured vertebra more than most medical specialties aren't just going to feel step-off and be like "don't even bother with X-rays on this one" and certainly isn't going to have the patient walk up to radiology.
Regardless medical error includes mismanagement and misdiagnosis and anything that may jeopardize the patient's health life or well being. That is definitely negligence at it's finest, but I've seen other medical professionals do some pretty dumb stuff I work with MDs and DOs and PTs and PAs the list goes on. You can't just say chiropractors are the only ones that mess up that would just be incredibly naive of you. Every health profession has professionals in their field that make HUGE some absolutely ******ed mistakes in mismanagement and misdiagnosis that have been life-threatening

Regardless medical error includes mismanagement and misdiagnosis and anything that may jeopardize the patient's health life or well being. That is definitely negligence at it's finest, but I've seen other medical professionals do some pretty dumb stuff I work with MDs and DOs and PTs and PAs the list goes on. You can't just say chiropractors are the only ones that mess up that would just be incredibly naive of you. Every health profession has professionals in their field that make HUGE some absolutely ******ed mistakes in mismanagement and misdiagnosis
Edited my last post. I don't disagree with what you said above. This instance was just so heinous and recent, so I shared.

X-Rays on that patient were negative by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users