Choices between colleges, need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a few questions for you. My girlfriend is wanting to major in dermatology in Florida and she has a few choices for colleges and currently has no idea what to do (or that's what she says) so I wanted to see what you guys said.

Right now, she has been accepted to University of Central Florida, Florida Southern College in Lakeland, FL, and waiting to hear back from Florida State University, so let's just assume she's been accepted there.

Now, she's done some research and said that the University of Southern Florida and the University of Florida are the only colleges in Florida that have accredited dermatology programs.

So here are my questions:

1. Which of those three have the best undergrad med programs (she is a senior so will be in college this fall)
2. Are one of those developing an accredited dermatology program as she has said she would like to pick a college and stay there if possible?
3. Which would be the best to go to and then transfer in to another college for dermatology?

If you can answer any of those questions at all or have any advice for her that would be swell, trying to get her some info to help her out. Just a few things I was even wondering myself anyhow, so any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Dermatology is not a college major, but a medical specialty. One must first complete college and medical school before beginning residency training in dermatology.

There are combined Bachelor's/MD programs available, but even in this case one must complete medical school before specializing. Most future dermatologists will attend college, complete premedical prerequisites along with a Bachelor's in any subject, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school during or after college.

I believe you when you say she has no idea what to do if she thinks that the way to become a dermatologist is to major in it in college.

There really isn't much to say in response other than she needs to learn a little bit more about the path to becoming a doctor. And you can't be a dermatologist without a medical degree. You could work in a dermatologist's office but you don't need to major in anything specific to do that.

If, hypothetically, there are "dermatology" majors at these colleges, this will not help you in any significant way to become a practicing dermatologist. That will depend on medical school performance and other factors exhaustively detailed elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmm, it is probably more or less in reality that I don't know what I'm talking about, as I don't know a ton about the subject.

So I guess then boils down to more or less which of the three have the better medical program?

Mmmm, it is probably more or less in reality that I don't know what I'm talking about, as I don't know a ton about the subject.

So I guess then boils down to more or less which of the three have the better medical program?

Just to be clear, since you said 'medical program...' Medical school comes after four years of college. So, a 'medical program' is done at a medical school (four extra years of education), which you do after completing a college degree. Are you interested in which has the strongest premed program? If so, I'd say they're equal reputation-wise -- as long as they offer the medical prerequisites, they'd be fine.

Also, you're sure you using the right term, right? If your girlfriend is accepted to college with an interest in becoming a physician, I hope to god she knows dermatologists are doctors, not just college graduates. Are you sure she's not interested in another medical field, such as nursing or PA, perhaps with an interest in dermatology?

No, it's more really that I don't know what I'm talking about but hoped that you would be able to figure something out. She would like to stay at the same school so obviously asking premed for right now, then what has a good medical degree after that. Like, I know there's premed and then medical college the specific medical things IIRC, but other than that I'm more or less clueless, but I'm sure she isn't.

Cause I know UCF has the new med building going up and I don't know about FSU and Florida Southern, well most of their programs suck so I didn't know if you guys had any clue about them.

No, it's more really that I don't know what I'm talking about but hoped that you would be able to figure something out. She would like to stay at the same school so obviously asking premed for right now, then what has a good medical degree after that. Like, I know there's premed and then medical college the specific medical things IIRC, but other than that I'm more or less clueless, but I'm sure she isn't.

Cause I know UCF has the new med building going up and I don't know about FSU and Florida Southern, well most of their programs suck so I didn't know if you guys had any clue about them.

Florida Southern does not have a medical school. UCF is not just opening a new building -- they are just opening their entire medical school now; it's brand new. As a result, until they can cement a reputation, I guess FSU has the edge on reputation.

Florida Southern does not have a medical school. UCF is not just opening a new building -- they are just opening their entire medical school now; it's brand new. As a result, until they can cement a reputation, I guess FSU has the edge on reputation.
Really? Hmmm, interesting. So what potential does the UCF program have?

Really? Hmmm, interesting. So what potential does the UCF program have?

Who knows? They just hired a respected dean to run the school, so that probably gives it potential. There will be tuition discounts and other financial incentives to be the first class of guinea pigs so that all the kinks can be worked out, but they'll be gone by the time "your girlfriend" applies. I'd say, eventually, it'll be no worse than FSU.

What is "your girlfriend" supposed to mean? If you think I'm asking for myself but are trying to hide it, sorry, you're wrong, I'm a film major and wanted to help my girlfriend out a little bit and you guys obviously would know what you're talking about, so I registered to ask a few questions I couldn't find answers to.

Okay, so is ORMC gonna have a huge stake in UCF's new med school as well or what for affiliations will they have? I know UCF's very good at business partnerships and such...

What is "your girlfriend" supposed to mean? If you think I'm asking for myself but are trying to hide it, sorry, you're wrong, I'm a film major and wanted to help my girlfriend out a little bit and you guys obviously would know what you're talking about, so I registered to ask a few questions I couldn't find answers to.

Okay, so is ORMC gonna have a huge stake in UCF's new med school as well or what for affiliations will they have? I know UCF's very good at business partnerships and such...

1) Why isn't your GF posting here then?

2) All the advice we give is hypothetical and probably irrelevant. Unless you go to an astoundingly poor undergrad school, you can pretty much get into medical school from any undergrad school. The hard part isn't the selection of the college. The hard part is getting the grades, the test scores, the evaluations, etc... etc... etc... at the college you ultimately go to. While it may help to go to an undergrad school that happens to have a medical school as well, it means nothing if you don't have the grades and the test scores to qualify. So my advice to you (or your GF) is to pick a school with as best a mixture of affordability, prestige, and personal interest (if you're going to be there for 4 years, you might as well like the area) and work, work, work.

3) You'd get more information in the pre-allo section.

She isn't posting here because she's not an internet/forum lurker like I am.

I understand that but some undergrad programs are vastly superior to others so since I'm not involved in the field of medicine I was not sure.

Okay, well then I'll ask there then, thanks.

She isn't posting here because she's not an internet/forum lurker like I am.

I understand that but some undergrad programs are vastly superior to others so since I'm not involved in the field of medicine I was not sure.

Okay, well then I'll ask there then, thanks.

1) I'd tell her to take a look at this site. Very helpful.

2) Some undergrad programs are vastly superior. But again, it means little if your stats are not comparable to those from the vastly inferior schools. Ultimately, if you can go to one of those vastly superior schools, can afford it, and can picture yourself being happy there, go for it. If not, pick a nice school, pick one that you can afford, and pick one where you'll be happy at. Best of luck.

She first needs to focus on her undergraduate then med school before even thinking about a specialty. In that time she may find something that may lead her in a totally different direction.

For the most part, probably the best undergraduate pre medical/medical programs are definitely at University of Florida and University of South Florida. Although UCF just added a new medical program it's not as credited as UF and UF. She can do her undergrad at any university and transfer into UF or USF.

-currently a prehealth student at UF