choosing a MD/PhD over MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpnerd00

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for 2006 entrance and can't decide whether I want to apply to MD or MD/PhD programs. How does one really decide? From my understanding, it is possible to apply to MD/PhD programs and then decide to matriculate as an MD only student. is this true?

Also out of curiousity, as I should probably know for the future... how much do md/phd-ers end up making after they finish all the training process? i know it depends... but let's take the avg md/phd graduate who probably spends 80% doing research and 20% clinical/administrative.

thx!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a solid research background and would enjoy a career based around some variation of the 'triple threat' (researcher, clinician, and teacher), you should seriously consider it.

As for leaving the fold: you can quit at any time and the only thing it will cost you is a few dirty looks. Once you've been admitted so you can just matriculate as an MD student, but goodbye paycheck*! After completing training, salaries are consistent with any other academic physician's- not private sector high, but pretty good. This doesn't take into account the fact that everybody else has been out there making money four years longer than you.

MJS

*tuition and stipend are typically included as a dual degree student.

sharpnerd00 said:
I am currently applying for 2006 entrance and can't decide whether I want to apply to MD or MD/PhD programs. How does one really decide? From my understanding, it is possible to apply to MD/PhD programs and then decide to matriculate as an MD only student. is this true?

Also out of curiousity, as I should probably know for the future... how much do md/phd-ers end up making after they finish all the training process? i know it depends... but let's take the avg md/phd graduate who probably spends 80% doing research and 20% clinical/administrative.

thx!

If you're uncertain that you should be applying MD/PhD, I don't personally think it would be right to apply to MSTPs and then matriculate MD or back out in a year or two. Think about what it would look like in the interviews if you told the truth about being conflicted. The schools would not look kindly on that, and with good reason. Part of doing these things is about being as sure as one possibly can be about wanting to do them, which can be difficult to do, but you still need to be sure - or at the very least give the schools fair warning.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies - i have decided to go ahead and try my chances at the dual degree... the "triple threat", so to speak, is what really draws me to the mstp pgrm.

sharpnerd00 said:
thanks for the replies - i have decided to go ahead and try my chances at the dual degree... the "triple threat", so to speak, is what really draws me to the mstp pgrm.

The MD/PhD program is a long time committment and the decision should not be taken lightly (nor solely influenced by posts from strangers on a forum). I think the MD/PhD program can be rewarding for certain people and painful for others. Similarly when research is going well it can be very exciting, but when everything is not working, it will test your patience. When I was making the decision to enter a MD/PhD program I talked to different MD/PhD's at different stages of their training (1 was in their graduate student years, 1 was in residency, and 1 probably got their Ph.D. around the American Civil War). I also corresponded to several people by e-mail (I just looked at the webpages of different MSTP sites and glanced at the faculty listing for MD/PhD faculty).

The one in residency suggested me to discretely ask MD/PhD programs about a taboo topic-what happens to me if I quit? Some programs say you have to give back some money others that are NIH funded are not allowed to force you to return any money (I don't know if this policy has changed). This also tests the waters to see how the administration responds (many MD/PhD students quit and are mortified about how their program will react while others know that the administrators will be supportive of any decision they make). Unfortunately, asking this question while you are interviewing may hurt your chances at a program so you may have to sneak it somehow. Good luck

mjs said:
As for leaving the fold: you can quit at any time and the only thing it will cost you is a few dirty looks. Once you've been admitted so you can just matriculate as an MD student, but goodbye paycheck*! After completing training, salaries are consistent with any other academic physician's- not private sector high, but pretty good. This doesn't take into account the fact that everybody else has been out there making money four years longer than you.

MJS

*tuition and stipend are typically included as a dual degree student.

I think you need to take a break from writing, MJS. Footnotes in your posts? I got a good laugh out of this one this morning. Thanks