Choosing a medical interview date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
how important is it to choose an early date for your medical school interview? I get to choose what dates and there are some in Dec and in Jan but the ones in Jan work for me best. Is that going to affect my chances of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

earlier the better. depending on ur school, it cud make a world of difference for example downstate or einstein

Hi there! First of all, congratulations on getting interview invites! Choosing a date, especially with little time between the options should not affect your chances. That being said, wouldn’t you rather take the earliest possible date? This is what you have been preparing for and working towards for a long time, so not leaving things until the last minute could help you. That depends, of course, on how prepared you feel for interviewing. If you think choosing a date in January will help you prepare better and do a better job, then of course, that’s what you need to do. However, if you just want to wait until January because it’s more convenient based on other commitments you have, then it is all about priorities, and you should think what event in your calendar takes precedence over others. Hope this helps!

earlier the better. depending on ur school, it cud make a world of difference for example downstate or einstein
Hi there! First of all, congratulations on getting interview invites! Choosing a date, especially with little time between the options should not affect your chances. That being said, wouldn’t you rather take the earliest possible date? This is what you have been preparing for and working towards for a long time, so not leaving things until the last minute could help you. That depends, of course, on how prepared you feel for interviewing. If you think choosing a date in January will help you prepare better and do a better job, then of course, that’s what you need to do. However, if you just want to wait until January because it’s more convenient based on other commitments you have, then it is all about priorities, and you should think what event in your calendar takes precedence over others. Hope this helps!
Thank you both! I will try to manage an earlier date since it's my top choice school! 🤞