Program-Specific Info / Q's Choosing a Program: NYU vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspire2BeOT

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before in past years and I've gone through previous threads seeking answers but I thought I'd ask again to get fresh perspectives.

I've been accepted into both NYU's two-tiered MS/OTD program and Columbia's MS program. I've been having a hard time deciding which school to attend. I'd love to hear from current/past students or anyone in my position trying to decide.

Some superficial factors I've considered are location, cost, program length, student life, and degree.

Location: NYU is located in a much nicer area (Greenwich village) vs. Columbia (Washington Heights)
Cost: NYU will be much more expensive at 90 credits vs. Columbia (60-something credits)
Program length: NYU will be longer at 3 years vs. Columbia (2 years)
Student life: NYU seems to have a better student life/student presence (based on what I've seen on social media, students hang out & spend time outside of class with each other)
Degree: NYU is MS/OTD vs. Columbia (MS)

Aside from these, I've looked at fieldwork opportunities, affiliations, and curriculum as well. From my understanding, Columbia is more focused on mental health whereas NYU's curriculum is more wide-ranged.

I live in NYC so will be commuting (~1 hr to NYU and ~1.5 hr to Columbia). I'm concerned about which school I'd be happier attending, and whether getting the OTD degree is worth it. I love the location of NYU and the social aspect of the school but concerned with whether this can be justified by the program length and cost.

Members don't see this ad.

As a complete third-party opinion I would say go with the cheaper and shorter option! You will be spending most of your day in class anyways so who cares if the building is situated in one location versus another, if it's within the same city and not such a big difference in commute? It's obviously your decision and I don't think anyone can really make the choice for you especially without knowing your specific circumstances and values. But if the main thing you prefer about NYU is the location and social aspect it doesn't seem worth it to me. You can always go hang out in the Village or make connections with students at NYU to get some of that experience, without committing to such a heavy financial burden. As far as whether an OTD is worth it over an MOT I personally don't think so based on the research I've done, but it again depends on your specific circumstances. There have been a few other threads on this issue you might want to check out!

Just my 2 cents--I live in NYC and I have heard from OTs in Manhattan that they prefer to work with other OTs from columbia. apparently NYU does not have a good sensory education program. This was one reason why I did not apply to NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia student here! I also had to make the decision between Columbia and NYU and ended up going with Columbia because it was cheaper and the program was shorter. With that being said, I don't regret my decision. It is true that Columbia has a focus on mental health but I believe it's because they want us to think of OT from a psychosocial perspective. This is a client-centered career and we are trained to look at the person as a whole beyond their disability so I think having a background in mental health will just make you an even more well-rounded therapist.

Though we do have 2 mental health fieldworks (level 1 & 2) we also have fieldworks in physical disabilities (level 1 & 2), geriatrics (level 1), pediatrics (level 1), and you can choose to do an optional level 2 specialized fieldwork (hand therapy, peds, etc.). As for the OTD debate, I personally don't think it's worth it. Through my own research and what I've heard from other people you're basically adding on another year to your debt to work the same job and get paid relatively the same amount.

Also, as for the social aspect I think it all depends on your class. In our case we all get along great and hang outside of class anytime we can. Everyone is really supportive and we all try to help each other out by sharing notes, study guides, quizlets, etc.

NYU is a great school too so no matter what decision you make you'll be in good hands! I'm just speaking from my personal experience :) hope this helps!

So I applied to 4 schools: SUNY Downstate, NYU, Columbia, Seton Hall. I was accepted to Seton Hall and NYU and then waitlisted for Columbia. I've heard that NYU is very strong in Mental Health area, but lacking in other areas when they go to fieldwork II. Another thing to consider is the anatomy side of things. NYU I've heard only does arms/hands and the Med students do the cutting. Columbia I guess it's mostly all slides.

Now the costs -- Columbia ends up being less due to time. You're going to be SO busy that I'd forget the social side of things -- typically it'll be with fellow classmates and honestly, I doubt that after hours at NYU you're gonna want to hang around that area longer :) If you were accepted to both, I say go to the open houses and REALLY pay attn to what "feels right". For example...I didn't like Columbia as much as NYU...but I LOVED Seton Hall. I had liked Downstate on my 1st visit, but not my second. I hope that helps :)