Choosing a psych lab with limited options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavySheets89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried if I were to choose the social psychology lab I would be shooting myself in the foot for a counseling Ph.D. program. I have an interest in social psychology, but there is a family research lab that is here on campus but they are not taking undergraduates currently.

I know that it really comes down to getting experience in a lab and that not every psych lab is going to be available or even taking undergraduates. Should I be okay based on my future goals?

The social psych lab gives preference to future experimental psychology / social psychology students which is understandable. The minimum GPA is a 3.2 and I currently have a 3.4 (4.0 in all psych courses). I was going to try to do it since their current research aligns with the work I've done in public health (racial bias, stereotypes, gender differences).

Members don't see this ad.

Take the social psych lab position, esp. if it aligns with your research interests. An ideal lab is active and provides opportunities for undergrads to demonstrate competence and move up in responsibilities and ownership of projects. Only the most myopic, pathologically territorial potential advisor would have a problem with your undergrad research work being in another area of psych if it is solid, quality, and relevant work; most of us are happy to see diversity of experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
If the Family Research lab opens up, I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt to apply there also? I don't think I'll be able to if they want a year and I graduate next year.