Choosing Between Medical Schools: UCF vs StonyBrook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJA79

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Just finished my interviews and was accepted into the University of Central Florida COM and Stonybrook SOM. I am interested in both for various reasons and cannot make a decision on which school to attend. Stonybrook is close to home, has in-state tuition, and has great research and clerkship opportunities. However, I did not enjoy the facilities, I would like to move out of NY and I could not see myself with the current students I met. UCF would allow me to leave NY and enjoy some warmer weather. The schools staff is very attentive and they have been very informative during this medical school application process. The downside would be the distance from home, the slight increase in tuition and it is not ranked as highly as Stonybrook. If anyone has an insight into either of these schools that would be very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UCF and I personally didn’t find myself very excited about the program. The schools still new and the partnership with HCA had me very skeptical of the quality of clinical education. I appreciate the administration at UCF for being so transparent. That just wasn’t enough for me though. Also, UCF spent a lot of time playing up their classes Step 1 performance but step 1 is going to P/F so I imagine that’ll make the residency application process more challenging since UCF is still new.

I would go with Stoney. It’s cheaper and established.

Hey I was accepted to both schools as well but I decided to withdraw from UCF and keep Stony Brook. I felt the exact same way you did (Stony brook facilities didn't look nice, UCF has good weather, interview day was very nice, etc) but ultimately Stony brook would provide a better education in my opinion. It's higher ranked and has better partnerships with hospitals I think. also being close to home is nice.

Reactions: 1 user