Choosing USC over UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anee1984

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anybody do it and why?

Members don't see this ad.

i would NEVER.

UCSF is much much cheaper. it's also a much better school (the students match to great specialties, they also do very well on the boards).

and with the PBL system at USC you are practically teaching yourself. it might work if you like to learn independently and do not procrastinate.

i happen to like the UC system in general.

(just my opinion)

anee1984 said:

for some people, it is important to stay close to home. others may get scholarship from one school and not the other that may sway them towards that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
food4thots said:
for some people, it is important to stay close to home. others may get scholarship from one school and not the other that may sway them towards that school.

or they could be totally and completely in love with their boyfriend and would rather be in close proximity of their other half than 7 hours away and depressed.

but that's not me- obviously

but I would understand that of someone else

anee1984 said:

All schools in CA are great. I wouldn't pick USC over UCSF under any circumstance.

Better reputation and system at half the cost...I personally think it would be insane to choose USC over UCSF.

It boggles my mind how someone could pick USC over UCSF!

3X's the cost to teach yourself, in the ghetto, at a school that's doesn't have the same rep. UCSF has better board scores, match rates and all in all, just a better school.

I'm not knocking USC but UCSF just has way more bang for the buck!

PDizzle has spoken...and yes, I am biased! :)

3x the cost?
I thought UCSF is 200k and USC is 400k.

greenday said:
3x the cost?

Most peeps from UCSF have about 100-150K of loans where USC its near 400K.

greenday said:
3x the cost?

I'd pick UCSF over USC.

UCSF:
DS 1 (9 months)....................$55,688 (cost of living = $17, 028)
DS 2 (12 months)*.................$60,620 (cost of living = $22,704)
DS 3 (12 months)..................$60,058 (cost of living = $22,704)
DS 4 (12 months)..................$55,983 (cost of living = $22,704)

*DS 2 >> If you sign a 9-month contract you may be able to save $5,676.

greenday said:
3x the cost?

UCSF hands down..price..location..curriculum...

When I interviewed at USC I was really impressed with how laid back the school seemed. I knew I wanted to go to USC after I saw all the Heisman trophies and knew I could go watch some of the best football in the nation on the weekends. But then I thought about it and relized that I could actually go to school at Nova, fly to LA on the weekends to watch UCS play football and still come out with less debt than if I just went to USC. (By the way I'm not really flying out on the weekends, but you get the point)

Dutchboy said:
When I interviewed at USC I was really impressed with how layed back the school seemed. I knew I wanted to go to USC after I saw all the Heisman trophies and knew I could go watch some of the best football in the nation on the weekends. But then I thought about it and relized that I could actually go to school at Nova, fly to LA on the weekends to watch UCS play football and still come out with less debt than if I just went to USC. (By the way I'm not really flying out on the weekends, but you get the point)

it's so layed back because the students are teaching themselves, and many of them tend to procrastinate...

(personal opinion)

Members don't see this ad :)
PDizzle said:
Most peeps from UCSF have about 100-150K of loans
That's about right. And yes, you are biased, very biased ;)

The reasons that I would choose USC over UCSF are...

1. I have too much money and I really need to waste it.

2. Since PBL is the core program at USC, I have so much spare time and I can take as many power naps as I want to.

3. USC has a better alumni network than UCSF.

4. USC has cute, rich undergraduate and graduate girls so in case I drop out from school, I still have something to hang on to.

PDizzle said:
It boggles my mind how someone could pick USC over UCSF!

3X's the cost to teach yourself, in the ghetto, at a school that's doesn't have the same rep. UCSF has better board scores, match rates and all in all, just a better school.

I'm not knocking USC but UCSF just has way more bang for the buck!

PDizzle has spoken...and yes, I am biased! :)

Some people have rich mommies and daddies, and even if you don't cost is not a problem 300k is a drop in bucket in long run. Just pay it off in the course of 30 years. 300k is seriously nothing when your making 100k+ per year.

the only serious reasons i could see someone choosing usc over ucsf is location and networking.

teefRcool said:
Some people have rich mommies and daddies, and even if you don't cost is not a problem 300k is a drop in bucket in long run. Just pay it off in the course of 30 years. 300k is seriously nothing when your making 100k+ per year.
If you made a 100K and realized how much you could save, you would not make such statement. 300K cash is a huge amount compared to an income around 100K.

luder98 said:
If you made a 100K and realized how much you could save, you would not make such statement. 300K cash is a huge amount compared to an income around 100K.

First of all 300k investment in Dental is nothing. Its not that huge your just looking at it with wrong perspective, because you can pay it over a span of 30 years with little interest. With rising inflation over the next 30 years 300k won't be that much. Plus 100k is an average dentist if one does a little above average he can double that. A decent house in cali costs a mill, 300k is nothing, unless your a stingy and count your pennies then i can't say much to that.

teefRcool said:
First of all 300k investment in Dental is nothing. Its not that huge your just looking at it with wrong perspective, because you can pay it over a span of 30 years with little interest. With rising inflation over the next 30 years 300k won't be that much. Plus 100k is an average dentist if one does a little above average he can double that. A decent house in cali costs a mill, 300k is nothing, unless your a stingy and count your pennies then i can't say much to that.

yeah I used to think 300k is a lot for dental school..but then I look at how much it is to buy a one bedroom apartment around here...and well u get the point...

anee1984 said:

NEVER!

not reallly into their PBL programs... and the tuition wise is insane at USC!!! :)

ok,

So I would give a kidney to be at UCSF... and I hold my phone hostage and sleep with it waiting for a call from Dr. Alexander... but give me a moment to say a few nice things about USC.

USC is not a horrible school for those of you that plan to be there in the fall.
You are very lucky to be in California, which in my opinion is the greatest state in the world.
Everything here is beautiful (then again- I grew up in Rockford, IL)

Also- LA is a crazy fun area.
Go out and party it up- every type of nightclub and fun restaurant you can think of.
Celebrate the fact that you are in an awesome urban area that offers you the ability to live anyway you want to.
I plan on living off ethnic food (Thai, Persian, Japanese, etc.), hanging out at Hookah bars, salsa dancing, and going to fun football games.
This is not a luxury all can afford.

Think of the people going to school in Arizona. Great school- but it is soo hot and there is no way you can compare the nightlife.

Also, at USC you have the opportunity to be a part of an undergraduate institution that gives you sporting events, amazing speakers, student organizations, etc. Many other schools cannot offer that same holistic experience.

In terms of the programs- they are hard to compare- but for those of you who keep bashing PBL, remember that some people do learn well working with their peers, and this style may work very well for someone like me. I am the type of learner who is constantly explaining things to those around me- and it helps me to understand the concept/the big picture. I love group learning- I always have- I am good at feeding off of others. I will consistently ace exams if I have a good group of students that I am studying with for it.

So don’t bash too hard.

UCSF is amazing. No one is fighting that. The new curriculum is awesome, the area is awesome, the students seemed happy, and the facilities were great. But remember how many USC kids are going to read this thread.

Going to USC is a great choice. The debt is large- but it will be paid off. If you want to specialize- just work hard and do good on your boards.
I know when/if I am there this fall I will love it.

I agree with the above post I would way rather be in so cal than nor cal anyday of the week. I also think that UC schools are far too overrated. If you are from cali, go there for sure, but if you're not then i don't think they are any better than any other school. It is cheaper however, and therefore woud be chosen over USC, but besides that, there is no other good reason I can see choosing UCSF over USC. If the price tag on both of the schools was the same, i would be a trojan for sure!!!

USC definitely sounds great if that's the only school a predent can get accepted to. Why not? hehe

Ok, so this is the deal with procrastinators....
If you're coming to SC because you think you'll have a laid back dental education...let me tell you...you're totally wrong. Yes yes yes, probably the first 2 trimesters you'll have some extra time; however, you better get your arse in dental deck studying mode because after spring trimester...your social life as you know it, is over. Summer trimester kicks in and in full gear. Just as a little taste let me tell you my freshman summer schedule: Monday: PBL session..but, after session you will probably be in the SIM lab the whole afternoon; Tuesday: PBL + Periodontics Block...after it...you'll run to SIM lab (you will remember me, believe me). Wednesday: PBL session + Occlusion....you will not see the light of the day on wednesday..Thursday: Restorative Lecture and Lab: this class runs from 8 to 5pm; however, you will find out that it actually runs from 8 to 7 pm 'cause you will not finish on time. Friday: PBL + restorative..(same as Thursday). In top of all of this you MUST do your learing need packets for PBL and read your group's Learning needs and must be prepared for PBL session cause faculty will ask you questions on them. The packets reduce your sleeping time further to perhaps 4 to 5 hours/night. Halfway to the trimester we get the anatomy dissection class on top of everything else above except occlusion which is a fast-paced hell course...it is substituted by the wonderful anatomy dissection class that is hard as hell...
So, for all of you who feel SC will be a breeze, well....GET READY :smuggrin: , your in for the ride of your life.
SC is a wonderful clinical and hands-on school...You'll come out of here with awesome hand skills and ready to do awesome dentistry...and since we're in the getho, we get all kinds of crazy cases necessary for graduation

TeethVader said:
Ok, so this is the deal with procrastinators....
If you're coming to SC because you think you'll have a laid back dental education...let me tell you...you're totally wrong. Yes yes yes, probably the first 2 trimesters you'll have some extra time; however, you better get your arse in dental deck studying mode because after spring trimester...your social life as you know it, is over. Summer trimester kicks in and in full gear. Just as a little taste let me tell you my freshman summer schedule: Monday: PBL session..but, after session you will probably be in the SIM lab the whole afternoon; Tuesday: PBL + Periodontics Block...after it...you'll run to SIM lab (you will remember me, believe me). Wednesday: PBL session + Occlusion....you will not see the light of the day on wednesday..Thursday: Restorative Lecture and Lab: this class runs from 8 to 5pm; however, you will find out that it actually runs from 8 to 7 pm 'cause you will not finish on time. Friday: PBL + restorative..(same as Thursday). In top of all of this you MUST do your learing need packets for PBL and read your group's Learning needs and must be prepared for PBL session cause faculty will ask you questions on them. The packets reduce your sleeping time further to perhaps 4 to 5 hours/night. Halfway to the trimester we get the anatomy dissection class on top of everything else above except occlusion which is a fast-paced hell course...it is substituted by the wonderful anatomy dissection class that is hard as hell...
So, for all of you who feel SC will be a breeze, well....GET READY :smuggrin: , your in for the ride of your life.
SC is a wonderful clinical and hands-on school...You'll come out of here with awesome hand skills and ready to do awesome dentistry...and since we're in the getho, we get all kinds of crazy cases necessary for graduation

Post this in teh NYU vs. USC Post! ;)

normally you would save money by teaching yourself.. NOT the case for ucs.