Choosing which Federal Correctional Complex (FCC) to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L1585

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning to apply in the fall to some VA sites and some FCCs. I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on how they chose which FCC's to apply to? Also, if you are or were interning at an FCC, what were your thoughts on that particular site?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am planning to apply in the fall to some VA sites and some FCCs. I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on how they chose which FCC's to apply to? Also, if you are or were interning at an FCC, what were your thoughts on that particular site?

Thanks!

I interviewed at FC medical center-Lexington when I applied for internship 5 years ago. I chose the site because it had significant health psych work, as it was medical center. It was also 80 miles from where wife and I ultimately wanted to settle. I got a fine vibe from the site, but ended up matching a VAMC that was higher on my rank list.

Just look at their brochures and see if you like their rotations. I believe most, if not all, are considered prestigious sites. I THINK Butner is the only FCC (or maybe just the only one with an accredited internship). The others are FCIs or FMCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe most people at FCCs are assigned there by the government, with or without their consent. Depending on their 'work' experience, they might get to stay there for a lifetime. Hours are very regular, but opportunities for advancement are limited.
;)

I believe most people at FCCs are assigned there by the government, with or without their consent. Depending on their 'work' experience, they might get to stay there for a lifetime. Hours are very regular, but opportunities for advancement are limited.
;)

None of this is true....

;)

It's a joke... (S)he's referring to the inmates.

What are your primary clinical interests? This will direct where you might apply. Also, many of my BOP colleagues have stated that the intern workload is more comparable to an actual job (i.e., with 40 hours/ week in the BOP, you're gonna feel it by the end of the week as opposed to other internships....hence the higher intern salary). They usually try to keep their people around in the system (however you may have to go live in Podunk, Mississippi). There tends to be a mindset of "paying your dues."

What are your primary clinical interests? This will direct where you might apply. Also, many of my BOP colleagues have stated that the intern workload is more comparable to an actual job (i.e., with 40 hours/ week in the BOP, you're gonna feel it by the end of the week as opposed to other internships....hence the higher intern salary). They usually try to keep their people around in the system (however you may have to go live in Podunk, Mississippi). There tends to be a mindset of "paying your dues."

Yea. VAs tend to be any/every metro area. Federal prisons, not so much...

;)
None of this is true....
It's a joke... (S)he's referring to the inmates.
:rofl:
I always need a series of posts like this on a Friday.
:claps:

Reactions: 1 users