Cia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedudeshotme

Minding my own business..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about working as an MD for the CIA. With such a secretive organization, it has been difficult finding information about this on the internet. The CIA jobs website only has application information but very little in terms of job description. I am curious as to how this experience would differ from working as an MD in with army, navy or air force.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about working as an MD for the CIA. With such a secretive organization, it has been difficult finding information about this on the internet. The CIA jobs website only has application information but very little in terms of job description. I am curious as to how this experience would differ from working as an MD in with army, navy or air force.

From what I've read, the work consists more of being an analyst than any field work. i.e. "it looks like Ahmadinejad has a cold today - too much cough syrup may have helped him decide to start enriching uranium in mass"

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read, the work consists more of being an analyst than any field work. i.e. "it looks like Ahmadinejad has a cold today - too much cough syrup may have helped him decide to start enriching uranium in mass"

:laugh:

They employ scientists including physicians as analysts in making assessments of various threats. They also employ medical and other professional mental health staff, psychiatrists and psychologists, to assess and monitor their own personnel within the envelope of their operational security requirements, so you would have to qualify to work at that level of secrecy. My understanding is that they recruit for these jobs publicly on their website. The job requirement includes relocation to D.C./ No. VA and potentially accept assignment worldwide.

well, according to good old Tom Clancy, OrbitSurg is probably right... because we all know how likely it is for Jack Ryan to become president! ;)

"Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing."

Holy crap!! That's scary awesome. It sounds like they want to recruit doctors, not pre-meds or medical students. That makes a lot of sense though. Also, did you see the look on the girl's face in the top right. It's this whole come-to-bed-so-I-can-kill-you stare

"Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing."

Holy crap!! That's scary awesome. It sounds like they want to recruit doctors, not pre-meds or medical students. That makes a lot of sense though. Also, did you see the look on the girl's face in the top right. It's this whole come-to-bed-so-I-can-kill-you stare

thats actually the "i know youre hung but i'm still going to kill you" stare

Medical officers with the CIA are overt officers that work with covert officers. Stateside, there's a large part of pre-op (as in 'operation', not 'operating room') evaluation, and minor medical treatment of sprains, strains, and fractures. Generally, CIA field personnel are in pretty good shape, and are highly motivated, so there's a lot of musculoskeletal stuff, NOT a lot of chronic medical care, and a VERY low rate of non-compliance. Essentially, the medical officers are the PMDs for the field personnel. As such, you know who they are by face (possibly/probably not by name - believe it or don't, but "John Smith" isn't the real name), but not what they know, where they're going, or where they've been.

something tells me your additional duties would include prepping EPWs for the waterboard treatment, then treating them, so they can live to get another round.

I'm also thinking they've got them working out in the field winning hearts and minds of warlords i.e. treating their clap, DM, and CTS from overuse triggering IEDs the week before they decided to jump to our side for more money or a better dope deal.

something tells me your additional duties would include prepping EPWs for the waterboard treatment, then treating them, so they can live to get another round.

I'm also thinking they've got them working out in the field winning hearts and minds of warlords i.e. treating their clap, DM, and CTS from overuse triggering IEDs the week before they decided to jump to our side for more money or a better dope deal.

From what I know, the CIA docs don't deploy - they're overt employees dealing with covert employees. The EPWs getting waterboarded etc., I believe, if they get any care, is from corpsmen or the CIA agents themselves (as airway management and suction isn't exactly difficult). The stuff in your second paragraph is also corspman-level.

I know a couple officers who went into the CIA and FBI. So let me tell you what I know. They are GS positions (30 years to retirement, partial pension, TSP, and a third part 401k? make up the retirement package). You can roll your military experience into those thirty years. Ie, you do six years, you can BUY those six years towards your thirty. It's not a lot of money to buy each year, so its worth it. Looking at the page the salary sucks.

Could you somehow while in the military get hooked up with the CIA, probably. But those are things that we don't talk about, and I haven't the foggiest how you go down the road, guarantee it isn't well advertised. Best bet would be to hook up with a special forces unit (Delta, SEALS, Recon) and make some friends.

From what I know, the CIA docs don't deploy - they're overt employees dealing with covert employees. The EPWs getting waterboarded etc., I believe, if they get any care, is from corpsmen or the CIA agents themselves (as airway management and suction isn't exactly difficult). The stuff in your second paragraph is also corspman-level.

yeah, and the Vets I processed for Iraq were originally told to relax, they'd have a nice gig treating the General's poodle for fleas

It's the gov't. you know, the "slam dunk" boy wonders running the thing.

yeah, and the Vets I processed for Iraq were originally told to relax, they'd have a nice gig treating the General's poodle for fleas

It's the gov't. you know, the "slam dunk" boy wonders running the thing.

Yeah, agents, not the docs. BLS is, well, BLS. Tech people in the CIA are just like the staff pukes - they keep the line/operators operating.