About the ads

Cigar Smoking

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by karpems, May 13, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. karpems

karpems Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey Everyone,
    One of my friends asked me a question and I had no idea about the answer. So here goes...Is there any link between smoking cigars and cancer, either lung or mouth? I did a medline search but I didn't find anything, so I'm not sure if any studies have been done on this topic directly.
    Thanks for the info!
    Adam
    UNECOM Class of 2008
  2. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Of course, any tobacco product. Not lung, because you don't inhale cigars. Mouth, tongue etc. Ditto for chewing tobacco.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    "Cigarette smoking is the cause of 85% to 90% of lung cancer cases; the risk for lung cancers in smokers is 30 times greater than in nonsmokers. Smoking cigars or pipes doubles the risk for lung cancer compared to non-smokers....."

Manual of Clinical Oncology, 4th Ed. pg. 157
  4. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Weird, who inhales cigars and pipes?
  5. cubancigars

cubancigars New Member

Is it true that Cuban cigars have a very specific taste which makes them different (most experts agree the best), but you can find cigars ranging from light to full body in strength. cigars-topcubans.com

a response to the question "Weird, who inhales cigars and pipes?" i mean evryone who's having a drink in a coffe shop..it is enough that one peaple to smoke near to you and involuntary you will inhal the smoke
  6. erichaj

erichaj Removed

It's true you don't inhale when you smoke a cigar. but there is still the second hand smoke.

EH.