Cincinnati vs. Case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokjoko

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an Ohio resident trying to narrow down my options here before April 30th. I am taking out loans for medical school, so I'm trying to see which option would be the best decision for me long-term. In terms of specialty, I am pretty open but have been considering FM, gen surgery (or a sub-specialty like peds surg), and maybe pediatrics. However, I haven't really had much exposure in any of these fields so I can see this changing. I also don't necessarily want to stay in the midwest for residency/the rest of my career. Also currently WL at UPenn, Columbia, and WashU (don't have high hopes but we'll see)

Case
Pros
  • More prestige and resources?
  • 1 hr drive from home
  • I like Cleveland (lol)
  • Match list more geographically varied

Cons
  • Received no scholarships (440k in loans over 4 years)
  • Mandatory PBL

Cincinnati
Pros
  • One of the best peds hospitals
  • Cheaper (270k w/o aid, haven't received financial aid package yet so may potentially be cheaper)
  • Cincinnati is a very cheap and nice place to live

Cons
  • 4 hrs away from home (not the biggest deal)
  • Ranked well, but not as well-known as Case (?)

Summary: I know Case isn't ranked that much higher than Cincinnati, but I just don't want to close any doors for myself

Members don't see this ad.

what are the vibes you got from each school’s current students? case has cleveland clinic and matches very well but cinci also has a big pediatric focus, which is one of the specialties you indicated some interest in. it’s hard to choose with cinci’s FA too though - do you know when this comes?

Reactions: 1 user
what are the vibes you got from each school’s current students? case has cleveland clinic and matches very well but cinci also has a big pediatric focus, which is one of the specialties you indicated some interest in. it’s hard to choose with cinci’s FA too though - do you know when this comes?
Unfortunately, they did not give a straight answer abt getting financial aid before April 30th which is part of the reason why I'm a bit stressed. I honestly liked the vibes at both schools so thankfully I think I'd be ok at both

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: seems like I won’t be getting any substantial from Cincy, so I guess my question gets simplified down to this: Is the “prestige boost” I would get at Case worth the extra 170k? Seems like probably not, but then again I don’t want to close any doors for myself

Update: seems like I won’t be getting any substantial from Cincy, so I guess my question gets simplified down to this: Is the “prestige boost” I would get at Case worth the extra 170k? Seems like probably not, but then again I don’t want to close any doors for myself

Cincy is a great school, and is well-known within medicine. Sure, maybe Case’s name is slightly better, but I’ll tell you with confidence that it isn’t worth $170k + interest

Cinci is still a very strong school. It doesn't seem like you have any particular pro at case that would make it worth 170k extra. I would say cinci is the best option for you.

cincy please case is so expensive for what (case also gives no merit scholarships hence why you got no scholarship)