Cirrhosis and ECV (SVR?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question- can someone explain the mechanism of decreased effective circulating volume in cirrhosis? Is it merely a function of hypoalbuminemia? B/c I also read that cirrhosis results in decreased systemic vascular resistance => greater pooling of fluid/edema, and I'm not sure why the decrease in SVR occurs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In cirrhosis , there is actually excess water in the body . But due to toxic metabolites not cleared by the brain , just start acting on the kidney can cause decrease in the blood flow to it at the same time there is pooling of blood in the mesenteric circulation . That is what I have understood. ="Daitong, post: 18444000, member: 488403"]Hi,

Just a quick question- can someone explain the mechanism of decreased effective circulating volume in cirrhosis? Is it merely a function of hypoalbuminemia? B/c I also read that cirrhosis results in decreased systemic vascular resistance => greater pooling of fluid/edema, and I'm not sure why the decrease in SVR occurs.

Thanks![/QUOTE]