Civilian Employee at Military Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about future career directions and exploring the idea of being a civilian government employee while being in the reserve component as a way of serving in the military with a bit more stability while minimizing the hassle of conflicts between my full-time career and reserve career. The VA seems to be a fairly common avenue for this but I'd prefer a more varied patient population and would prefer to be involved in academics. Working at a military residency seemed like something worth exploring so I was curious to hear anyone's thoughts or experience with this idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about future career directions and exploring the idea of being a civilian government employee while being in the reserve component as a way of serving in the military with a bit more stability while minimizing the hassle of conflicts between my full-time career and reserve career. The VA seems to be a fairly common avenue for this but I'd prefer a more varied patient population and would prefer to be involved in academics. Working at a military residency seemed like something worth exploring so I was curious to hear anyone's thoughts or experience with this idea.
No personal experience as I'm still in uniform, but I've worked at a few mil GME locations and as I look forward it's something I'm thinking about exploring.
I've seen it a few ways.
GS while reserves at the same location...essentially a few times a year you come to work in uniform instead. Same headaches of providing care within the mil system, but paid better and less additional duty nonsense.
The other way I've seen is contractors, these were mostly retirees or former mil...I never worked with a contract who was actively in a drilling guard/reserve position.
I've seen reserves work within large civilian GME as well, where the drilling/deployments can be absorbed by a large group.
Unless my mind is changed in the next couple years of DHA take over, I'm planning on jumping ship after my ADSC in 3 years, going guard and finding a civilian GME position...but there are a few geographic locations I'd entertain working at military GME...if it still exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
My residency had a GS civilian staff that was reservist in another service. He would leave for a few months a year to drill or detach with his unit. He seemed to enjoy it.