Civilian into Military or Military into Civilian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keunglh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know it's still far off as I am still in college right now but military medicine has always been somewhat intriguing and enticing for me so I really want to look into it further. After a few searches on the forum the general gist of military medicine is that it's somewhat 'janky' (don't really know the right description) as it has very few stable positions that requires a ton of moving around and even then the schools aren't the most prestigious except for USUHS? (correct me if i'm wrong as i only skimmed around) as well as a somewhat smaller range in the pay between civilian medicine and military medicine.

1. So I was wondering is it common for people to go to a civilian medical school and then sign up for military medicine? Or do most people typically go to a military medical school and then when time comes, move out into civilian sectors? If so, how is the learning gap as there is certainly a difference because of the two different situations and scenarios one may encounter?

2. For me, I am currently in a medical school program where I can matriculate into a DO school granted I maintain a GPA and average MCAT score right out of college, and after that I wanted to dip my toes into the military for a few years seeing as I was unable to do ROTC and my parents absolutely forbade me into doing a normal military service so I thought that military medicine might be the closest thing for me. Or should I apply for a military medical school and go into the civilian sector afterwards?

3. Typically, how long does one have to stay in the military for medicine? I only planned say 5-6 years at the most.

Sorry for all these questions and I understand some may be ignorant and can be answered with a few more google searches but I was hoping I could get some more layman-termed answers? seeing as I do not have any background into the military lingo and medical practices there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I know it's still far off as I am still in college right now but military medicine has always been somewhat intriguing and enticing for me so I really want to look into it further. After a few searches on the forum the general gist of military medicine is that it's somewhat 'janky' (don't really know the right description) as it has very few stable positions that requires a ton of moving around and even then the schools aren't the most prestigious except for USUHS? (correct me if i'm wrong as i only skimmed around) as well as a somewhat smaller range in the pay between civilian medicine and military medicine.

1. So I was wondering is it common for people to go to a civilian medical school and then sign up for military medicine? Or do most people typically go to a military medical school and then when time comes, move out into civilian sectors? If so, how is the learning gap as there is certainly a difference because of the two different situations and scenarios one may encounter?

2. For me, I am currently in a medical school program where I can matriculate into a DO school granted I maintain a GPA and average MCAT score right out of college, and after that I wanted to dip my toes into the military for a few years seeing as I was unable to do ROTC and my parents absolutely forbade me into doing a normal military service so I thought that military medicine might be the closest thing for me. Or should I apply for a military medical school and go into the civilian sector afterwards?

3. Typically, how long does one have to stay in the military for medicine? I only planned say 5-6 years at the most.

Sorry for all these questions and I understand some may be ignorant and can be answered with a few more google searches but I was hoping I could get some more layman-termed answers? seeing as I do not have any background into the military lingo and medical practices there.
Keep reading this particular forum. All of these questions have been answered a few times. :)

seeing as I do not have any background into the military lingo and medical practices there.

Just put in your time young man. If you see an abbreviation that you don't know, just type it into google + "military" and you should get your answer. You're 18 years old, think of this as practice research for a lot of things you'll do for your future.