CL fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypnorpheus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I am slightly late to the application cycle. But, I am seriously thinking of sending out my application for a CL fellowship position. I know there are strong opinions regarding the utility of such training, but I feel more comfortable doing it than not.

I hear that the "CL match" is not very competitive. But, I was hoping I could get a sense of how many programs I should apply to. I am from a mid tier university based academic program. I have a publication and several national conference presentations and posters during residency. I also wonder if the number needed to apply might change because of the virtual nature of interviews, which requires less time commitment.

Any and all insights would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

5 or 6 is probably sufficient. Apply to whichever programs you are interested and no more. It sounds like you would be q competitive applicant.

focus on programs that will provide you with exposure to complex and interesting cases in both inpatient and outpatient setting and all of the main subspecialty areas of C-L: neuropsych, psycho-oncology, HIV psychiatry, transplant and reproductive psychiatry

Reactions: 2 users
focus on programs that will provide you with exposure to complex and interesting cases in both inpatient and outpatient setting and all of the main subspecialty areas of C-L: neuropsych, psycho-oncology, HIV psychiatry, transplant and reproductive psychiatry

I am trying to do my own research, but I am finding a lot of programs boasting of training in psycho-oncology and HIV psychiatry. I find it hard to really gauge how much of these claims are based in reality. My own institution's C/L fellowship makes similar claims, but I know for a fact that the structure is nascent at best.

Do you happen to have any ideas about which places are known to have strong exposure to psych-onc (apart from MSK and Dana-Farber) and HIV psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to do my own research, but I am finding a lot of programs boasting of training in psycho-oncology and HIV psychiatry. I find it hard to really gauge how much of these claims are based in reality. My own institution's C/L fellowship makes similar claims, but I know for a fact that the structure is nascent at best.

Do you happen to have any ideas about which places are known to have strong exposure to psych-onc (apart from MSK and Dana-Farber) and HIV psychiatry?
Ohio State, The James. Lots of opportunity there. Great CL department with strong leadership.

Reactions: 1 user
CCF too

But isn't it The Ohio State?
I was trying to not be presumptuous but now that we're on the topic... yes... THE Ohio State! GO BUCKS!

• Haha

If it's helpful, this paper would be the sort of thing that you'd end up discussing with the DF folks.

Attachments

• PsychodynamicLifeNarrative.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Thanks for all your comments.

What are your thoughts about the following programs? (I am annotating some of my own thoughts)

Brigham - busy, big program, Harvard name
Sloan Kettering - busy, big program, psycho-onc
Stanford - Maldonado, Delirium, ICU, Silicon Valley
UW - Collaborative Care
Yale - Proactive consult

I know many factors go into ranking for each individual and you are not be privy mine, but I would still be interested in how you would rank them by your own personal parameters.

I hear UCSF has good psych onc exposure

That would probably be the best way to get meaningful advice though. What do you want out of CL fellowship? What are your career goals afterward? Are you OK with working 60+ hours a week during fellowship? Are there any dealbreakers or must-haves?
I would like to remain in academia at least for a few years immediately after fellowship. I will likely spend most of my time doing inpatient consults. I do not particularly like outpatient work and the continuity associated with it.

It's only a year, so I don't mind working more hours, but I would draw the line at 60 hours a week.

Deal breaker would be difficult to get along / cold personalities in the program. I usually get along pretty well with people, but I do not know what the Boston temperament is like. I would also prefer warmer climate, though this isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

As far as "must haves" - it would be important to see really complex inpatient c/l cases with supervision available so that I feel prepared to do it on my own in a year. Exposure to transplant psychiatry and psycho-onc will be nice too.

Last edited:
I was once told that the quality of the consults and complexity of the cases depends on the quality and type of the services in internal medicine, critical care, and surgery specialties (read: based off the hospital rankings for the main hospital).

The one on your list that stands out as the one more narrow in scope is MSK. Do they have non-cancer services in their hospital? You'll get great psycho-onc experience but might not get HIV, transplant for non-cancer related issues, addiction, or neuropsychiatry other than neuro-psycho-onc.

All your other programs are tied to strong residencies, hospital services, and research faculty.

Last edited:
I was once told that the quality of the consults and complexity of the cases depends on the quality and type of the services in internal medicine, critical care, and surgery specialties.

The one on your list that stands out as the one more narrow in scope is MSK. Do they have non-cancer services in their hospital? You'll get great psycho-onc experience but might not get HIV, transplant for non-cancer related issues, addiction, or neuropsychiatry other than neuro-psycho-onc.

All your other programs are tied to strong residencies, hospital services, and research faculty.
That's a really good point about MSKCC. I would definitely like a strong psycho-oncology experience, but not at the expense of general C-L experience. I do believe they have a 2 month rotation at Cornell across the street though. Not sure if that is even close to near enough exposure.