Clarification on schizoaffective d/o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytarabine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, it's possible to have comorbid bipolar I / II or MDD and schizophrenia without being classified as schizoaffective d/o so long as the mood symptoms aren't present during the majority of psychotic episodes, correct? I feel like this is a straightforward concept but I've heard conflicting things

Members don't see this ad.

Schizoaffective = 2 weeks of psychotic symptoms in the absence of mood symptoms if I am not mistaken.

Instead of "Bipolar Schizophrenia" I would just reassign as Schizoaffective. In my experience, the typical Schizoaffective disorder pt is always hearing voices and their mood frequently alternates between being super irritable or super depressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theoretically, it's possible to have comorbid bipolar I / II or MDD and schizophrenia without being classified as schizoaffective d/o so long as the mood symptoms aren't present during the majority of psychotic episodes, correct? I feel like this is a straightforward concept but I've heard conflicting things
If by theoretically you mean as per the DSM 5 nomenclature; then one approaches a patient in one of two ways: 1) if they have chronic psychosis you first see if they meet the A criterion of schizophrenia. If they do then you look at the other criteria. The D criterion says you have to rule out affective illness. If there has been a mood EPISODE (not just some symptoms), then it is schizophrenia if the total length of all affective episodes is < 50% of the time since they became ill. Following the D criterion basically means that a person cannot have both Bipolar Disorder (or MDD) and schizophrenia. 2) If you have a patient who is presenting with an affective episode, you can look to see if the A criterion psychotic symptoms are present for >2 weeks in the absence of a mood episode and if the mood episodes duration > psychotic symptom duration. If that is the case, it is schizoaffective.

I appreciate your replies, I apologize for not replying earlier. I've been on gen surg and pretty overwhelmed hours wise. I think I've got it now, and that was an interesting read erg. Thank you all