Class II composite restoration looking dirty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did okay on my other practicals, and the restorations always came out looking clean, but I'm having a bit of an issue with my class II premolar practical coming up.

Once I put the composite in, cure it and use the food ball, grit starts building up when I start to polish. It starts to look really nasty. Am I not using the foot ball enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I did okay on my other practicals, and the restorations always came out looking clean, but I'm having a bit of an issue with my class II premolar practical coming up.

Once I put the composite in, cure it and use the food ball, grit starts building up when I start to polish. It starts to look really nasty. Am I not using the foot ball enough?
Can you post a pic?

I have heard from upperclassmen that if your composite has rough spots then the purple polishers will leave residue. Try just using the gold instrument to get it pretty smooth with minimal manipulation and you should be good. Hirata style.

Sent from my D6708 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
your composite gets rough-use finishing burs.

anatomy is good for building up esthetic areas, but other than that, building up anatomy anywhere else on a patient will always change based off of the patient's occlusion

it could be the fact that they give you crappy composite. go to any clinic floor and use the clinic composite

gold instrument?
I have heard from upperclassmen that if your composite has rough spots then the purple polishers will leave residue. Try just using the gold instrument to get it pretty smooth with minimal manipulation and you should be good. Hirata style.

I use a composite brush on the composite to smoothen it before polymerization
(
Bru1_3-Brushes.jpg

B_&_S3_Margeas_Case.jpg

DISCLAIMER: THE PHOTOS ARE NOT MINE I FOUND THEM ON GOOGLE SEARCH AFTER TYPING COMPOSITE BRUSH

you can use any kind of small paintbrush too, less expensive than the composite ones :p

I use a composite brush on the composite to smoothen it before polymerization
(
Bru1_3-Brushes.jpg

B_&_S3_Margeas_Case.jpg

DISCLAIMER: THE PHOTOS ARE NOT MINE I FOUND THEM ON GOOGLE SEARCH AFTER TYPING COMPOSITE BRUSH

you can use any kind of small paintbrush too, less expensive than the composite ones :p

I wonder if I'm able to do that.

I used a #4 round bur today and that helped a lot better than the foot ball. I also used the 1/2 round bur to help with the grooves.

it's a known fact that in bench/sim they give you old crappy composite, which is why you get that grainy consistency...which is why a lot of upperclassmen will tell you to add a layer of bonding agent on top of the finished product to give it a little more shine (you only do this on typodont teeth, not on a real patient)

but apparently they don't allow that anymore soo i defer back to my original comment of go to clinic and get fresh composite

OR you can just use a sofflex disc

purple polishers are actually a little better than you would think. it's best if there's a constant stream of water while you use it to polish...or you can spray some water on the surface and polish it that way.

purple polishers are actually a little better than you would think. it's best if there's a constant stream of water while you use it to polish...or you can spray some water on the surface and polish it that way.
Oh...water with the purples eh? I'll give that a shot today. Thanks for the tip :)

When shaping your composite, use instrument with bonding agent. Will give you a nice finish. And go ahead and put bonding agent on the finished restoration. They will not know. Just not too much. Also, try to get your restoration where you want to be and so you don't have to polish that much.

When shaping your composite, use instrument with bonding agent. Will give you a nice finish. And go ahead and put bonding agent on the finished restoration. They will not know. Just not too much. Also, try to get your restoration where you want to be and so you don't have to polish that much.
I second this. Lightly brush some bonding agent on the finished restoration, cure it, and it'll look light years better.

Do not put bonding agent on top of a composite lol That is ridiculous and a bad habit to pick up. If your faculty find out, they will most likely fail you as this is not what bonding agent is used for, obviously. Just use the recommended finishing and polishing burs.