Class load and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gknight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take the MCAT in January and will be taking a course starting in the fall. I will also be working around 15 hours a week and my current course load for the fall is as follows:

Immunology +lab
Microbial Stress Response
Medical Self Assessment (online)
Sociological Social Psychology

I would love some feedback as to whether or not I should reduce my course load. I want to make sure I have enough time to dedicate to MCAT studying and I'm afraid I might be too overwhelmed. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Its possible but, depending on how you handle that workload, it may not be advisable.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't seem too strenuous as long as you do not fall behind. 4-5 hours of MCAT a day on average is more than plenty if you're studying correctly. A manageable goal could be to get through like 15 passages a day and to review the corresponding chapter(s) for the day. Persistence is key, op. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Course load looks fairly easy, but finding the time/energy to study during the semester is difficult. I just tried to do it this past semester--didn't work too well. I ended up just taking one practice test a week for the last 2 months before my exam, and living in the library for the week I had between my last final exam and my MCAT. Although it ended up working out for me score-wise, I don't really recommend that approach. If you're going to do it during the semester, you're going to need to have an iron will and keep up with it. You think you have plenty of time, and then all of a sudden it's right around the corner.

I think it's possible, but you have to know that you can do it. My plan for last spring semester was similar to yours, but junior-level engineering classes took so much time that I was getting 5 hrs of sleep a night. I didn't study for the MCAT at all from late January until after finals, and ended up having a month to work with (while I worked full time, lol). It worked out for me scorewise, but I definitely don't recommend it. I think I could've gotten a higher score had I taken a few months half-off. So just make sure those aren't the types of classes you will be spending eons of time on, and draw up a very regimented study schedule for yourself. Hope it works out!