Class of 2005!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to hear from others joining that class of 2005 and what schools you're attending! I'm very excited to finally be starting at UHCO in the Fall.
I can't be the only future optometrist on here!! Speak up guys!! We're getting creamed by DENTISTS :rolleyes: (no offense guys!)

Members don't see this ad.

cpw,
I've notice this trend for a long time now... Hasn't moved.... THERE MUST BE OTHER OPT STUDENTS out THERE!!! HELLOOOO anyone out there? Dare ya' to post!!!

Just wanted to say, hello to you cpw. See you in the chatroom....

Later, :cool:

Thanks Popoy... maybe if I write some more and give my own thread mor replies.. other people will write. :)

I'm definitely teling everyone in my entering class about this site.. so we can finally have some discussions here. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure once you've told people about this site, they'll flock!!! Make this a discussion board for everyone in your entering class..... later ;)

I know how y'all feel...I've tried to keep this forum going, and I'm not even going to opt school!

:D

Tell me.... How many optometry schools are there in the US? How many did you Class of 2005 apply to... is it the same competitiveness as the allopathic and osteopathic schools?

excuse my lack of knowledge in opt, but I am willing to learn... Later peeps!!!

Keep on postin'

Thanks for helping the "cause" Popoy!! :D

To fill you in there are only SEVENTEEN colleges of optometry in the US (including the one in Puerto Rico)

They aren't as competitive as MD/DO schools to get into, but for the schools that have in-state tuition it gets VERY competitive if you're trying to get in from out of state.

I applied to three schools : UC-Berkeley, Southern California College of Optometry, and University of Houston College of Optometry.

I'll be heading to Houston in the Fall. SCCO is private and VERY expensive.

Optometry students take the OAT exam which has sections in general chem, organic, biology, speed math (no joke), reading comp, and physics. It's scored on a scale from 200-400 with 300 being the mean average. Optometry school acceptance scores range around 320-340.. with the highest being Berkeley at 360 average for their entering classes (94+ %tile)

Hope this helps (and enlightens)!
;)

Very enlightening to get to know new things... as always.

Tell me, how many applicants usually for the app process per year?

It seems that those 17 schools can be pretty competitive if there are lots of applicants per year.... Keep on enlightening me :D