Class of 2011 ERAS Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a thread for those of us applying this year (as in tomorrow for me). Who else is in this boat, and what are you applying to?

I decided on ENT. I am applying to a completely ludicrous amount of programs. I wish the best of luck to all of you and hope that spending twice as long as a regular MD student will pay off with interview invites.

Members don't see this ad.

Woohoo, I'm in! Basically have everything done except I haven't assigned documents to any programs yet and I'm still waiting on my away LOR. I'm holding off for a few days before submitting though so that I can go over my app with the student dean as a final proofread. We're meeting on Tuesday, so that's my submit day.

Best of luck, gstrub. :luck:

BTW, how long did it take you to assign documents? Did you have to assign each document to each program individually, or can you check a document off and assign it to every program at the same time? I sure hope it's the latter.... :hungover:

Good luck. What specialty?

You have to assign each program a specific set of documents (LORs, PS), so it can take time especially when applying to a lot of programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
3089036_f496.jpg

You have to assign each program a specific set of documents (LORs, PS), so it can take time especially when applying to a lot of programs.
I saw; I started assigning documents to programs last night and realized that I have to do each program separately. But at least I can assign all of the documents to each program at the same time. I guess that's something, and I am not applying to nearly as many programs as you are. :oops:

I also realized that many programs don't specify whether they'd be willing to take a fourth letter. So now I'm contacting all of the ambiguous ones to ask if they want a research letter on top of the three clinical letters. Sigh.

So, did you submit? One of my classmates has an invite already, the lucky dog!

nonamesleft said:
Good Luck QofQuimica and gstrub!
Thanks. Are you starting med school this year? If so, best of luck to you too. Oh, and change your status, because you're not a premed any more. :)

D&G, I assume you're also applying? Wow, there are quite a lot of us this year. Neuro and RxnMan are applying as well.

Wow, this is one contest that I'm glad to lose. :oops:

But I think you are both smart to be applying so broadly, and it's a much better problem to have too many invites than not enough....

It's cheaper than not matching.

I applied as well. 550$. Will prob add more programs when I get CK back. Also not applying for Canadian match. So that is more money saved.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Are you starting med school this year? If so, best of luck to you too. Oh, and change your status, because you're not a premed any more. :)

D&G, I assume you're also applying? Wow, there are quite a lot of us this year. Neuro and RxnMan are applying as well.

status=changed :)

wow..I didn't realize so many of you are matching this year. Best of luck to all of you! Remember to come share your experiences! :D

:luck:

Submitted. One invite so far to my home school program.

Docbill, I didn't realize that there was a separate Canadian match. Best of luck to you. :)

Congrats on the interview invite. I will become more nervous as sept goes by and I don't have anything. I only selected the programs I am interested in, ie. Place I would want to live and academic requirements I would be happy at. As of now, I think I would rather not match then go to a place I don't want to be and be unhappy. That may change in the near future.

Last edited:
Congrats on the interview invite. I will become more nervous as sept goes by and I don't have anything. I only selected the programs I am interested in, ie. Place I would want to live and academic requirements I would be happy at. As of now, I think I would rather not match then go to a place I don't want to be and be unhappy. That may change in the near future.
I don't think you should worry too much if you don't hear from most of your programs in September. Apparently, many programs, especially the more research-oriented programs, tend to wait until after receiving the MSPE before sending out invites. Of course I don't know what individual programs you've selected or what your app is like. But you're a U.S. senior and you've applied to a lot of programs based on how much money you've spent, so I don't think it's likely that you underapplied.

Got my first IV today. My home hospital. So hopefully they start rolling rolling rolling.

What specialty are you guys applying to?

It's starting....I got another invite today. This is to a program where I did not rotate.

Yeahhhhhhh... congrats.

Still waiting patiently!!! I hope they start to flow.

Still waiting patiently!!! I hope they start to flow.
They will. Some specialties and programs apparently start way earlier than others. One of the programs offered me an October 20 interview date. I had no idea that any programs in any regular match specialty started interviewing people that early!

Just an update:

1 Interview
1 Waitlist
4 Programs that sent rejections that I didn't get (so pseudo-waitlist I guess)
84 Remaining programs just sending out cricket sounds

Take home message for competitive specialties: apply to as many as you can possibly afford, and if you can't afford it, do it anyway. I applied to 89 places and I have 13 interviews, so Neuronix and I have similar application/interview ratios.

For me it was worth the $1800 now...

Now the wait is on. Anyone having trouble constructing a rank list? I just can't seem to figure out the order!

Certified my ROL today. Ended up with 11 advanced interviews out of 45 programs applied to. 14 prelim years I ranked, mostly TY. Fared better in that department, ended up turning 2 interviews down to cushy TYs (hope I don't regret that!!!). Here goes nothing...

Now the wait is on. Anyone having trouble constructing a rank list? I just can't seem to figure out the order!
Definitely struggling with the top part of my list. Neuro and I were going through my programs yesterday. We made some progress, except that I've changed a few since then. :smuggrin:

Definitely struggling with the top part of my list. Neuro and I were going through my programs yesterday. We made some progress, except that I've changed a few since then. :smuggrin:
Finally finished making up my list. How are the rest of you doing?

I was invited to give an hour long research talk to my fourth ranked program. While there, the PD let me know I'm low enough on their rank list that it's iffy I'd have any chance of matching there.

Really?! I wasted a week putting a talk together for a program I have little chance at? Thanks guys! WTF.

I was invited to give an hour long research talk to my fourth ranked program. While there, the PD let me know I'm low enough on their rank list that it's iffy I'd have any chance of matching there.

Really?! I wasted a week putting a talk together for a program I have little chance at? Thanks guys! WTF.
That really is a bummer. :(

Just finished certifying. It's a little anticlimactic. After so many months of studying programs, applying, interviewing, compiling info about each of them, agonizing over how to order them, the main feeling I have is that I'm relieved I got everything done before the deadline. But the extensive summaries I made really helped. I sat down tonight and ordered my programs, watched the NRMP tutorial, inputted the list, and certified in about an hour and a half. No matter what, I'm not going to mess with my list. What's done is done, and now it's all up to the computer. :xf:

The feeling was likewise, right? :p

Yeah that sucks. Why would they invite you unless they were interested in you? Doesn't make sense.

4-5 months later and I am back to this question. Do I rank programs that I am not really interested in just in case the higher options fail???? Would I rather go unmatched then go to a crapy place with weak research?

Long time semi-lurker here. Happy to have this out of my hands after an intense few months. Hope the next few weeks are as stress-free as the latter half of 4th year has been advertised to be, that they go by quickly, and that everyone on here gets their #1 choice!

Matched! Can't wait to find out where on Thursday. This has been a LONG 8 years!:oops:

Yeah that sucks. Why would they invite you unless they were interested in you? Doesn't make sense.

It was an assistant professor in the program who invited me. He is very involved in a research group that is related to the work I do. They have one big name in my particular field and combined with the clinical faculty involved I think it would have made an excellent collaborative environment for me. The administration didn't know he had invited me. So I think I was a surprise for them. I don't exactly know what they were looking for or why I wasn't anywhere near the top of their rank list. Oh well.

As a side note, I love the join dates in this thread!!! Welcome back isidella.

Good luck everyone. Finding out in an hour. I'm really really nervous.

PS: I actually applied in radiation oncology.

PS: I actually applied in radiation oncology.

Does that mean all your previous comments about how un-important your research was seen by residency programs was actually referring to radiation oncology instead of radiology? Or did you apply to two specialties? If you did apply to two specialties, then I would love to hear about your experience doing that.

Does that mean all your previous comments about how un-important your research was seen by residency programs was actually referring to radiation oncology instead of radiology? Or did you apply to two specialties? If you did apply to two specialties, then I would love to hear about your experience doing that.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776060
See post #19

I applied in one specialty only. As for my prior posts, it would depend on the post, but many things regarding applying in competitive specialties and trying to become a physician-scientist in those specialties are pretty similar in general as far as I can tell.

Hi everyone,

I matched at University of Washington (Seattle) for ENT(1st choice). Without a doubt, the MD/PhD/research was a tremendous help.

Hope everyone is going somewhere they wanted!