Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ngh... one more midterm... I really need to study more for it (histology) but my motivation has gone kaput. There's only so much staring at computer screens trying to distinguish one purple blob from a whole field of purple blobs I can handle.

On the other hand, I think I've done pretty well in all my midterms so far.

Members don't see this ad.

y'all are making me question making Penn my top choice for school right now :lame:

I just like to whine. Don't mind me. :p

From what I've gathered, Penn isn't really harder in terms of the material--it's just that the exams are more stress inducing since there are so few and each covers an entire organism.

I agree. All of my advice was meant to be used in lab on the specimens (not just reading it). Also, I wasn't talking about the extra credit Mo talks. The horse talk was an unofficial Mo talk and it basically went over everything you need to know in the thorax and abdomen of the horse (it was about 30 min long and "hands on"). Sorry if my advice was confusing

OK I think I remember what you were talking about. It's all a blur to me :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh. After that midterm, I hate histology even more now. :( It will be a miracle if I passed the lab portion. I did really well on the written, but there wasn't much I could seem to identify on the lab.

Hey sorry! Didn't mean to discourage people from applying to Penn. I think Penn's a great school! The teachers for anatomy are really smart and friendly--I honestly like every one of them! I think that the anatomy course at Penn is challenging for some because it goes pretty fast--I think it's a hard course at all schools but Penn does like to get it all done fairly quickly. But there are plenty of people who did really well on the midterm. I am an older student and have been out of school for awhile and really didn't know how to study for anatomy and got behind and my grade reflects that. I imagine there's a "doozy" of a course (or several) at every school--it just seems to be anatomy for Penn first years. Everyone has a different learning style and I would have benefitted from a slower anatomy course with smaller exams or even just a few quizzes--but it would have been a challenge for me either way because it's not my strong suit. All the other courses so far have been totally manageable. So keep Penn on that application list! On the plus side, if you hate anatomy as much as I do, it's over in February! :thumbup:

Thought about posting this as a new thread, but just gonna throw it out here...

Do some of you get learning burn out? Generally I like learning things. Especially fun things. But I just get so overwhelmed with all of the necessary information we have to pack into our brains all day, that I have a hard time enjoying the "fun" learning they let us do. We get clinical correlations lectures in physiology where a clinician comes in and talks to us about real life cases and applications of the concepts we're learning.

But... when they're on Friday afternoon... I just can't care. Even though it's interesting, I will not be tested on it directly, and I am just so tired and cranky I want to go home.

But it makes me feel bad because it's the "interesting" things. Bleh. Bad Breenie.

I probably never learn anything at all on Fridays. We have four hours straight of lectures in the same uncomfortable seats, followed by three hours of anatomy. By the end of it all, I just want to GTFO.

Histo exam Monday/Tuesday (1/2 and 1/2) so that's my focus this weekend. About to trudge through the endocrine system.

I do well on the part with the pictures! I do! And I don't mind that part either - I think it's neat enough. It's the multiple choice part that gets me, and I think it's just that my brain doesn't like the way the prof writes the exams. Those ones where you can rule out one or two but it could still be A, B, or A & B... argh. And he loves to have "none of the above" be the answer, but damnit, my brain always thinks that one of the choices MUST be right. I'd honestly probably do better if I just chose that every time it's even a choice vs. trying to think my way through it.

So, yes, I dislike histo a lot, but it's not really that I hate learning it. I'd take it over anatomy any day, but I know that, for anatomy, study harder = better grade. Histo, not so much. It's more like.... try and change how brain thinks during tests = better grade.

I personally am HATING veterinary school right now and am desperately wishing there was something else I wanted to do with my career. Christmas vacation cannot come soon enough. I'm not sure I'll make it right at this moment. I work my but off but can't seem to do well in anything and I can't remember the last time I saw a real live patient. 4 years seems like an eternity right now :(

I personally am HATING veterinary school right now and am desperately wishing there was something else I wanted to do with my career. Christmas vacation cannot come soon enough. I'm not sure I'll make it right at this moment. I work my but off but can't seem to do well in anything and I can't remember the last time I saw a real live patient. 4 years seems like an eternity right now :(

PM me if you want to talk to someone who still hates vet school but has decided it's worth it...

I feel pretty much exactly the same way. I'm not doing well in any of my courses, I hate going to class, I hate studying, and I'm anxious/stressed out pretty much 24/7. I'm hoping it will get better at some point, which is pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped out :-(.

Also, I'm studying for our first anatomy exam that's on Monday, and I have a horrible head cold. I would say that I'll feel much better after the exam on Monday, but then we have a developmental anatomy exam the Monday after, and I haven't kept up with the material at all (and it's a stupid and pointless class).

Members don't see this ad :)
I work my but off but can't seem to do well in anything and I can't remember the last time I saw a real live patient. 4 years seems like an eternity right now :(

Maybe it would help to take some time to get into a clinic.

I started out with great intentions of spending every other Saturday in the clinic in which I shadowed for the last two years ... but then school sorta took over. Today I finally got back in there, and it was really awesome to be around real patients, real clients, and full-time clinicians. Felt like a great big breath of "Oh yeah, this is why I'm killing myself all week....."

A few weekends ago I did a weekend trip to a rural area to do free exams, vaccinations, minor illness/trauma treatment, etc. It also was a great way to get a break from 'academic' vet school. (On the other hand, I got zero studying done that weekend.)

I probably never learn anything at all on Fridays. We have four hours straight of lectures in the same uncomfortable seats, followed by three hours of anatomy. By the end of it all, I just want to GTFO.

Yes! It's Friday afternoon that's painful for me. Histo lecture, and then histo lab...and sometimes it's 4, and you're still in lab, and trying really hard NOT to rush through the slides...

I feel pretty much exactly the same way. I'm not doing well in any of my courses, I hate going to class, I hate studying, and I'm anxious/stressed out pretty much 24/7. I'm hoping it will get better at some point, which is pretty much the only reason I haven't dropped out :-(.

Also, I'm studying for our first anatomy exam that's on Monday, and I have a horrible head cold. I would say that I'll feel much better after the exam on Monday, but then we have a developmental anatomy exam the Monday after, and I haven't kept up with the material at all (and it's a stupid and pointless class).

To all that feel this way - it gets better. Take from someone who hated vet school and still went through it (and managed to make it). I'm also available by PM

To all that feel this way - it gets better. Take from someone who hated vet school and still went through it (and managed to make it). I'm also available by PM

This raises the question... does anyone ENJOY vet school?

I don't hate it yet, but I'm not omfginlove with vet school. It's tolerable.

I seriously considered requesting a leave of absence at the beginning of this year because I was so unhappy. I wouldn't say that I'm exactly loving vet school now, but it's bearable and hopefully I'll at least enjoy it at some point. It's hard to really enjoy something when I'm so freaking tired, bogged down with work, and studying all the time for mediocre grades though. Don't really have any sage advice, just know you're not alone. It's a means to an end and we'll all try to get through the sucky parts together

When I made my original post about hating vet school (a couple years ago) I got some of the "if you're meant to be a vet you'll love every minute of vet school" delusions in reply. I think a lot of people feel isolated and like they're the only one that isn't having a party every day.

When I made my original post about hating vet school (a couple years ago) I got some of the "if you're meant to be a vet you'll love every minute of vet school" delusions in reply. I think a lot of people feel isolated and like they're the only one that isn't having a party every day.
:thumbup:

:thumbup:

With everyone's "this is hard but there's no place else in the world I'd rather be" posts it can definitely make you feel like you're alone. I hate vet school too so far. Only my boyfriend and my dad know how I really feel about it. That's about it because when I start mentioning it to other people not in vet school they tell me "but this is what you've always wanted" and my classmates all act like they love every minute of it.

For me, liking vet school has a lot to do with doing things IN vet school that are actually not a part of vet school. For example, I work in Student Affairs-it's just 5 hours a week but it's actually pretty fun. The people I work with are amazing, it gets me out of school mode for a while, and I get to process applications, which helps to remind me of why I'm here and how much I've always wanted this. I give tours to prospective students which gets me talking about the great parts of vet school and has me going into the hospital occasionally to poke around. I also joined pretty much every club that's interesting, which is great. Food Animal Medicine Club gives us breakfast every Friday morning with an interesting lecture. With Therio Club I'm doing a fetotomy wet lab in a couple weeks and joining the dystocia team. With SCAVMA I'm doing community outreach where we go out to an elderly person's home and examine their dog, trim its toenails, clean its ears, whatever else they need. With Equine Club, I'm SO looking forward to the spring tours we take to the Thoroughbred farms in Kentucky. I'm running for class President.

All these things do take time, but there's very little committment to most of the stuff and it does a lot to remind me of why I'm putting myself through this. It also gives me some sense of worth outside my grades. I've made some amazing friends and that helps to make it all worth it.

Hang in there guys!

I've heard a lot of people that cope the same way as EllieGirl. I think it is a great way to stay connected to your purpose of being here.
That said, I do the opposite and made a rule for myself that I don't do any activities outside of school unless I want to - so I don't pressure myself to go to happy hours or do club activities because (for me) they would add to my stress level. I do socialize but it is not through school events or necessarily with school people.
Ultimately it comes down to figuring out how YOU can cope and not go crazy. Whether that is doing certain activities, not doing certain activities, going to counseling, having pets, not having pets, eating cookies...

eating cookies...

YES.

I bake and cook a lot on the weekends. Super duper stress reliever. Especially the eating part.

While I have a position in our student govt and am active in a particular club, I spend a lot of time in my alone cone. I hang out with my cats/horse and do a lot of NOT VET SCHOOL things. I need my hermit time.

Helps remind me of who I am outside of the identity of a veterinary student.

I don't LOVE it (and I may question the sanity of anyone that claims they do) but I also don't HATE it... basically, it's like this: I don't know what the hell else I'd be doing. I can't think of something I'd rather be doing. I like the feeling of knowledge accumulating in my head, even though it's pretty fenestrated (har har) at this point.

I'm secretly hoping that immuno and parasit are a huge breath of fresh air for me next semester... I may be deluded, but I know it's stuff I like. As long as the professor doesn't ruin it for me somehow, like by having cruddy testing style or by being really boring...

...and now I'm waiting for an upperclassman to chime in and tell me which of those things is true for each class. :hungover:

But really. I dunno. I'm not thrilled to be here like I was when I got the acceptance (and yeah, that wears off for anyone, although you remember the feeling for sure) but I can't really think of anything that would make me MORE happy than being here, mainly because I'd just be pissed at myself if I quit. So I won't. They'll have to THROW me out! Hopefully not. Haha.

YES.

I bake and cook a lot on the weekends. Super duper stress reliever. Especially the eating part.

While I have a position in our student govt and am active in a particular club, I spend a lot of time in my alone cone. I hang out with my cats/horse and do a lot of NOT VET SCHOOL things. I need my hermit time.

Helps remind me of who I am outside of the identity of a veterinary student.

Here in Philly there is a place you can order cookies from until 2AM. My girlfriend introduced me to this lovely baking/delivery service... mmm... cookies... I am impressed that you have the energy to bake your own :)

Here in Philly there is a place you can order cookies from until 2AM. My girlfriend introduced me to this lovely baking/delivery service... mmm... cookies... I am impressed that you have the energy to bake your own :)

:eek: If I ever go to Philadelphia, you must share the name of this place. It sounds fantastic.

Edit: I guess you could put me in the "I don't love it but I don't hate it" crowd. Sure, there are times when I'd rather be goofing off than learning anatomy, but for everything I dislike, I feel like I get something out of it that at least makes me feel good about what I'm doing.

Last edited:

Do you guys have an Insomnia Cookies??? We have that here and it's absolutely amazing.

Out of curiosity - what do you guys hate about vet school? Is it harder than you expected? Not the information you expected to be learning? Doesn't feel applicable? Is it boring?

No wrong answer or anythying....

I'm just curious because quite honestly, I am still madly in love with vet school. I have to stop myself from smiling every day as I drive onto campus (and believe me - smiles before 9am are not common!) That being said, we are really hitting the more difficult part of our semester and will be getting more slammed than previously so I'm open to my opinion changing! ;)

Deb, it seems like your curriculum has made the 'intro' phase a bit easier. Instead of a headlong dump into the river, you get to wade a bit first... is that a fair analogy? Have you had an exam yet that wasn't the pass/fail sort?

You seem like the sunny sort of person that might just love it all the way through, but I'm willing to bet something will have you gritting your teeth a bit before Xmas is here. ;) That's fine, though, right?

Yes, it is Insomnia Cookies!

Loooooooooove. I have to stop myself from ordering on a regular basis...I would weigh 700 lbs if I bought them every time the fancy struck. Whoever came up with that idea was a flippin genius. Or premenstrual.

Yes, it is Insomnia Cookies!
Do you really like insomnia cookies? I tried them once and they were mostly stale. I was so disappointed. Did I just get unlucky? Or are my standards too high for midnight snacks? we tried the cookies, cupcakes and brownies.

(btw I love the cupcakes at artisserie chocolate cafe on 34th and walnut - of course they are not open late though).

Yeah I hate vet school. I think the material is interesting some times but I'm always so worried about what will be on the test/how I will pass the test that I don't feel like I even have time to absorb the info much less enjoy it. I think the fact that I am horribly horribly horribly failing anatomy probably doesn't help because it sorta made me check out mentally recently--attempting to get that mental focus back now in time for biochem. I also haven't really clicked with my classmates. They're all amazing people and so nice but I was dealing with some personal stuff at the beginning of the semester and feel like I missed the part where everyone became friends. Now I feel a little too awkward going to events where everyone already knows each other and has their comfortable friend groups. I have friends outside of vet school in the area so it's not like I'm isolated, but I think connecting to my classmates would probably have made me feel more invested in school. +pity+ I am telling myself to stop my self-pity party now haha!

Do you really like insomnia cookies? I tried them once and they were mostly stale. I was so disappointed. Did I just get unlucky? Or are my standards too high for midnight snacks? we tried the cookies, cupcakes and brownies.

(btw I love the cupcakes at artisserie chocolate cafe on 34th and walnut - of course they are not open late though).

That's such a bummer that you had bad cookies =( Mine are always warm and gooey and fresh. But it's another store in another city, obviously, so there could be some differences. I'm also SUPER jealous that your guys' Insomnia has cupcakes!

That's such a bummer that you had bad cookies =( Mine are always warm and gooey and fresh. But it's another store in another city, obviously, so there could be some differences. I'm also SUPER jealous that your guys' Insomnia has cupcakes!

They have always been warm and delicious for me too.

eating cookies...

That's how I coped for the first 2+ months. Now it's time for Lose the 5 Pounds of Coping Cookies diet so I can fit into my dress before vet school prom. (There's one thing I'm sooooo looking forward to.)

Yeah I hate vet school. I think the material is interesting some times but I'm always so worried about what will be on the test/how I will pass the test that I don't feel like I even have time to absorb the info much less enjoy it. I think the fact that I am horribly horribly horribly failing anatomy probably doesn't help because it sorta made me check out mentally recently--attempting to get that mental focus back now in time for biochem. I also haven't really clicked with my classmates. They're all amazing people and so nice but I was dealing with some personal stuff at the beginning of the semester and feel like I missed the part where everyone became friends. Now I feel a little too awkward going to events where everyone already knows each other and has their comfortable friend groups. I have friends outside of vet school in the area so it's not like I'm isolated, but I think connecting to my classmates would probably have made me feel more invested in school. +pity+ I am telling myself to stop my self-pity party now haha!

You can be my friend! I sit in the first row in hill during lectures (yeah... I can't see if I sit in the back). Usually two over from the lefthand side

Oh man, we had insomnia cookies at my undergrad! Delicious!

Here there is a Hotbox cookies, which sounds hilarious. I haven't had them yet.

Aw thank GRG :) this is what I meant by all the students at Penn are seriously so nice! I sent you a PM

i find that when i cant look at block 1 material anymore, am finding every distraction available in my room i have to walk away and do something else for me this means baking! i made pumpkin bread today to take a break form studying for my block 1 final on monday it came out delicious too!! its a good stress reliever and after i am done baking i find i am much more efficient. I have finally learned that forcing my self to continue studying really wont get me anywhere but frustrated. i end up getting more don in the long run by taking a break to do something else.
(although the insomnia cookies that are fresh and delicious sound pretty amazing too!)

Do some of you get learning burn out? Generally I like learning things. Especially fun things. But I just get so overwhelmed with all of the necessary information we have to pack into our brains all day, that I have a hard time enjoying the "fun" learning they let us do. We get clinical correlations lectures in physiology where a clinician comes in and talks to us about real life cases and applications of the concepts we're learning.

But... when they're on Friday afternoon... I just can't care. Even though it's interesting, I will not be tested on it directly, and I am just so tired and cranky I want to go home.

Yes, absolutely. I call it my care-o-meter. In a neutral environment, there is a wide variance on the care-o-meter between things that are fun and interesting and those that aren't, and the amount of care is directly proportional to where they fall on the care-o-meter. But the more I have to learn that's low on the care-o-meter, the more the fun things trend lower as well. Until they're all on the same level and it's dangerously close to zero.

edit:

When people ask me how I like vet school, I tell them I hate it mostly and I knew that I would coming in. Then they don't know what to say.

Class of 2015...you are not sounding too happy there for the most part. This is not very encouraging for those of us hoping to be in the class of 2016! I'm sorry so many of you are feeling down about your vet school experiences. I wish they could find a way to keep students from feeling so overwhelmed, exhausted and miserable while still ensuring that you learn what you need to know. Education/learning really shouldn't have to be this way, should it? But since the powers that be don't seem ready to change things up any time soon, I hope you can all find ways to keep a happy and healthy balance of work to make you feel accomplished and leisure/fun to keep your outlooks positive and to give you some perspective. I know four years seems like a very long time, but soon enough you'll all be looking back on the "good old days" and laugh (maybe).

Class of 2015...you are not sounding too happy there for the most part. This is not very encouraging for those of us hoping to be in the class of 2016! I'm sorry so many of you are feeling down about your vet school experiences. I wish they could find a way to keep students from feeling so overwhelmed, exhausted and miserable while still ensuring that you learn what you need to know. Education/learning really shouldn't have to be this way, should it? But since the powers that be don't seem ready to change things up any time soon, I hope you can all find ways to keep a happy and healthy balance of work to make you feel accomplished and leisure/fun to keep your outlooks positive and to give you some perspective. I know four years seems like a very long time, but soon enough you'll all be looking back on the "good old days" and laugh (maybe).

Eh, you don't have to enjoy everything about vet school to be happy. Like I said, I don't love every minute of vet school, but this is probably the happiest I've ever been. I'm on my way to doing something I love, I'm planning my wedding and everything is falling into place, and I'm exercising more and eating better than ever. I can't speak for everyone; there are people who feel a lot of weight on their backs from school. A significant portion of my SO's med school class faced depression and other issues during their first year. I know he's frustrated with his second year about as much as I am with my first (maybe more), but at the end of the day, he's doing what he loves and is overall happy as well. Sometimes a challenge makes the end all the more sweet.

Eh, you don't have to enjoy everything about vet school to be happy. Like I said, I don't love every minute of vet school, but this is probably the happiest I've ever been. I'm on my way to doing something I love, I'm planning my wedding and everything is falling into place, and I'm exercising more and eating better than ever. I can't speak for everyone; there are people who feel a lot of weight on their backs from school. A significant portion of my SO's med school class faced depression and other issues during their first year. I know he's frustrated with his second year about as much as I am with my first (maybe more), but at the end of the day, he's doing what he loves and is overall happy as well. Sometimes a challenge makes the end all the more sweet.

Good point here. Satisfaction with your life doesn't have to = satisfaction with vet school. This is a means to an end, and loving vet school isn't a necessity to being a good veterinarian (or even a good vet student!).

Pre-vetters, don't get discouraged by our discouragement. It's hard, but so is being a pre-vet and doing anything else WORTH the effort. You will encounter challenges in everything you do, and you will not love every moment of your life, but that doesn't make it any less worth living.

If the things said in this thread (and every other c/o how ya doin') thread concern you, I offer this recommendation: work on things NOW. If you don't exercise enough and know you'll eat bad food and feel unhealthy in a stressful environment-- build up those coping skills NOW. If you procrastinate a lot for studying and have a hard time keeping up with work, practice better time management NOW.

You can prepare yourself for this. You'll never be perfect, but it really helps to come into vet school with a "coping" toolbox. Figure out how to manage yourself and your stress, and you'll thank yourself next year. It might not be a birthday party every day here, but you can survive and like Scb44f said... even be happy!

Good point here. Satisfaction with your life doesn't have to = satisfaction with vet school. This is a means to an end, and loving vet school isn't a necessity to being a good veterinarian (or even a good vet student!).

Pre-vetters, don't get discouraged by our discouragement. It's hard, but so is being a pre-vet and doing anything else WORTH the effort. You will encounter challenges in everything you do, and you will not love every moment of your life, but that doesn't make it any less worth living.

If the things said in this thread (and every other c/o how ya doin') thread concern you, I offer this recommendation: work on things NOW. If you don't exercise enough and know you'll eat bad food and feel unhealthy in a stressful environment-- build up those coping skills NOW. If you procrastinate a lot for studying and have a hard time keeping up with work, practice better time management NOW.

You can prepare yourself for this. You'll never be perfect, but it really helps to come into vet school with a "coping" toolbox. Figure out how to manage yourself and your stress, and you'll thank yourself next year. It might not be a birthday party every day here, but you can survive and like Scb44f said... even be happy!

This. It should be this. Every day. Can we?? With presents and cake and streamers and balloons and a petting zoo?

Seriously though, that coping toolbox is a handy one to have. I'm an incredibly detail-oriented person. It was (and still is, sometimes) awful, and I knew it would hinder me once I got here. I think I may have relaxed a bit too much at times, but then again, I'm not as stressed as I would be if I worried about knowing every single thing like I used to. That was the major thing I had to fix before I started, and I'm so happy I worked on it. It's not perfect, but it's at least better than it was a year ago.

This. It should be this. Every day. Can we?? With presents and cake and streamers and balloons and a petting zoo?

What kind of cake do you want? You know my strong suit is cookies, but I am flexible. T can probably hook you up with like 20 goats for a petting zoo.

Class of 2015...you are not sounding too happy there for the most part. ..... I know four years seems like a very long time, but soon enough you'll all be looking back on the "good old days" and laugh (maybe).

I'm class of 2014, but my anti-stress is playing hockey at least once or twice a week and giving my best effort to NOT study on Sundays - it is a holy day of football after all, and I also have inline hockey practice at night.

I wouldn't say I'm terribly stressed out or anything honestly, it's more along the lines of just wishing I could be doing something else with my time the majority of the time. Like ramming rusty nails into my eyes, for example.