Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting ready (read: cramming frantically) for tomorrow's anatomy midterm. It's our last midterm before finals. This is awesome, because I got into a pretty vicious cycle of procrastinating and cramming in the middle of the quarter that was hard to get out of, and as you can see, I'm still in it! I spent about 5 hours in the lab today with one of my partners and I feel relatively comfortable IDing stuff in there. It's just all this extra stuff we've got to know for the written portion that's getting me. I'm totally exhausted (got conned into playing some indoor soccer today AFTER I'd already run and lifted weights) so I'm going to lay down for about an hour and then get up and cram some more. Tomorrow is for sleeping and cleaning, and then starting Tuesday I'm going to buckle down and make sure I keep up on this material before finals roll around, because Lord knows I can't be doing all this cramming for four days straight!

Members don't see this ad.

Penn Kids --

Just wanted to mention that the more electives you take during 1st and 2nd year = the more fun externships (or vacation) you can take during 4th year.

I am going to be gone for 5+ months during the last 18 months of school. :)

Penn Kids --

Just wanted to mention that the more electives you take during 1st and 2nd year = the more fun externships (or vacation) you can take during 4th year.

I am going to be gone for 5+ months during the last 18 months of school. :)

How does that work? If you don't get enough electives, do you spend part of 4th year hanging around taking classes? Or do you substitute extra electives for certain clinical rotations? Or are electives a pre-requisite for skipping small or large animal block?

Enjoy 4th year!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to have a minimum # of electives to graduate. You can earn those credits thru elective courses during 1st-3rd year, during LA or SA block, or by doing clinical year rotations (outside the 12 weeks of required rotations). You don't really need to know this all right now, but to boil it all down for you: taking more electives during 1st-3rd year = more fun 4th year. But, I also wouldn't kill myself to take electives if they didn't interest me. I am still happy with my decision to NOT take any of the Wildlife courses, for example. :) But the Global Public Health Course is fun and easy and gets you thinking about some stuff, so I would recommend that.

I want to take electives! We don't have any until 3rd year :(

Participated in a fetotomy wetlab today. So cool :D

wtf is that? sounds cool

A fetotomy is when a critter (usually a foal or a calf) is dead in the birth canal and stuck. So you go in there with special tools and a wire and dissect the animal in-utero and pull it out piece by piece. They had the tools and a couple of cadaver calves for us to practice on. We also learned how to fix common abnormal presentations, properly place OB chains and head snares, and all the names and functions of the tools. This lab was mandatory for anyone on a dystocia team.

A fetotomy is when a critter (usually a foal or a calf) is dead in the birth canal and stuck. So you go in there with special tools and a wire and dissect the animal in-utero and pull it out piece by piece. They had the tools and a couple of cadaver calves for us to practice on. We also learned how to fix common abnormal presentations, properly place OB chains and head snares, and all the names and functions of the tools. This lab was mandatory for anyone on a dystocia team.

:barf:(very cool in a "not for me" kind of way)

That sounds awesome, EllieG. I want to learnnnn. I spent the night studying anatomy and I'm sorry, but the horse GI tract in our lab stinks. Literally. It smells horrible. It's also exuding some yellowish oily stuff....

Haha! I remember seeing a fetotomy when i visited Penn last year! It was through a window and at first I just thought they had a calf on lateral recumbancy, when I glanced at it again it was missing a head! :uhno: lol

Dude, I held the calf jack in place for the the Vet I was shadowing while we did one in the field. Dwarf cow had been left in with the full size bull, resulting in a calf that couldn't fit through. That was one of the coolest things I saw while shadowing. The cosmetic de-horning bled more though..

Dude, I held the calf jack in place for the the Vet I was shadowing while we did one in the field. Dwarf cow had been left in with the full size bull, resulting in a calf that couldn't fit through. That was one of the coolest things I saw while shadowing. The cosmetic de-horning bled more though..

Just a thought, dehorning is not usually simply cosmetic. Livestock producers have many animals in close quarters and dehorn for the protection of the herd so there is no gouging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought, dehorning is not usually simply cosmetic. Livestock producers have many animals in close quarters and dehorn for the protection of the herd so there is no gouging.

In this case, I could have worded it better. We were de-horning a regrown partial horn on a 4H Holstein. They had chemically de-horned it previously but the re-growth was greater than the 1" (I think) limit for housing prior to the county judging, which was approaching quickly. The Vet I was with referred to it as "cosmetic" and that's what I wrote down in my log, so it stuck in my head as such. I've only seen one, so I'm not sure what you mean by gouging but the tissue bled significantly, similar to my experience of scalp bleeding in humans. the vet made an incision surrounding the horn and then removed it with a wire saw and sutured.

I had the same exact though. I just learned how to dehorn yesterday morning and thought about all the reasons why they do it. I guess I'm ready for my test Hahahaha

(But I'll stop hijacking the thread. Even though I guess I could be counted as class of 2015... just not in vet school :laugh:)

Could be cosmetic that it was dehorning vs. debudding... If you don't cut it down deep enough/cauterize it, it's going to regrown. If they were just chopping off the obvious growth of the horn without attention to getting it all the way down, yeah, I'd call that cosmetic.

In this case, I could have worded it better. We were de-horning a regrown partial horn on a 4H Holstein. They had chemically de-horned it previously but the re-growth was greater than the 1" (I think) limit for housing prior to the county judging, which was approaching quickly. The Vet I was with referred to it as "cosmetic" and that's what I wrote down in my log, so it stuck in my head as such. I've only seen one, so I'm not sure what you mean by gouging but the tissue bled significantly, similar to my experience of scalp bleeding in humans. the vet made an incision surrounding the horn and then removed it with a wire saw and sutured.

What Bearby meant by gouging was that with a whole herd of cattle, if they aren't dehorned there is a risk of injury to their fellow herd members, people trying to work them, etc. because of gouging.

This is the end of my hijack, but, just think about if you were in one of those freshman lecture halls for general chemistry (you know, a few hundred people in close quarters) and every person had long, sharp objects attached to them protruding outwards. Even when being very careful, you're going to end up with injuries.

So this is somewhat relevant, today is the final day of hell week. One last final, then we get some time to catch up on other things.

Oh I guess I could update how I'm doing. We had cell bio, physiology, and micro tests this week, so now a lot of us are just counting down the hours until we're finally out. We have just one physiology lecture and anatomy lab today, and we're done. I know a significant portion of my class went out and partied last night. I stayed in and slept :)

. . . and every person had long, sharp objects attached to them protruding outwards. Even when being very careful, you're going to end up with injuries.
QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like my horse dissection . . . ;)

Yesterday was amazing!!!! Took my last final of hell week, bought my ticket to vet prom, had my one coke that I am allowing myself per week, then drank all day. Mimosas, mojitos, beer, and there was lots of dancing at prom. Today and tomorrow I get to sit around and just be lazy. I may not get out of my pjs. I must just shower and put on new ones. No tests for 3 weeks!!! I feel like I can breathe again

Yesterday was amazing!!!! Took my last final of hell week, bought my ticket to vet prom, had my one coke that I am allowing myself per week, then drank all day. Mimosas, mojitos, beer, and there was lots of dancing at prom. Today and tomorrow I get to sit around and just be lazy. I may not get out of my pjs. I must just shower and put on new ones. No tests for 3 weeks!!! I feel like I can breathe again
So explain this to me. Only one coke per week, but as much alcohol as you want? Can you get rum and cokes? Just askin!

So explain this to me. Only one coke per week, but as much alcohol as you want? Can you get rum and cokes? Just askin!

Lol, the drinking was not a normal thing for me. It was a special occasion and a much needed stress reliever. From here on out it will be one coke a week and no alcohol. Letting loose every once in a while is ok, I think. As far as rum and cokes, love them, but I have a serious addiction to coke so I really am trying to stick to the one coke a week thing.

Well, our semester is in the history books. Finished the anatomy final - a fun 3 hours. Now for a weekend of not studying. Felt guilty tonight, so I started setting up OneNote for next semester.

PHEW! We just finished out third block. I ended up having a minor mental break this week due to an absolute and complete freak out of the "never ever going to remember all this stuff and everyone else is so much smarter than me and I am going to be a sucky clinician someone please shoot me" kind but after escaping town for a day and seeing the outside world - I am now back into a more positive mindset. I'm pretty sure my PBL group now thinks I'm crazy. Which isn't that far off track, I suppose!

On Monday, we start our musculoskeletal block and finally start some anatomy. Scared but excited!

Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm off to decorate the house! I LOVE the holidays!!!!

PHEW! We just finished out third block. I ended up having a minor mental break this week due to an absolute and complete freak out of the "never ever going to remember all this stuff and everyone else is so much smarter than me and I am going to be a sucky clinician someone please shoot me"

Don't worry about that at all. I was freaked out about the same exact thing second semester first year. But really, the important things get repeated over and over and over until it's beaten into you until it becomes hard NOT to remember as you move on in the curriculum.

Don't worry about that at all. I was freaked out about the same exact thing second semester first year. But really, the important things get repeated over and over and over until it's beaten into you until it becomes hard NOT to remember as you move on in the curriculum.

That's reassuring, because I've had the same question rolling around in my head all semester. I feel like I can remember things like, oh, the sacrocaudalis dorsalis lateralis m. (which is one that here at UMN they flat out tell you won't be on any anatomy test) but can't seem to keep some basics in my head without constantly refreshing them.

But the heck with school. It's Thanksgiving and I'm going to go put holiday lights on the house for the first time in the 10 years we've been here. (Oops.)

of the "never ever going to remember all this stuff and everyone else is so much smarter than me and I am going to be a sucky clinician
For some reason this reminded me ....

I just got a letter from Penn saying I am scheduled to graduate next month!!!
The reality of how little I actually know forces me to decline the invitation, but it was good for a mock graduation celebration request to my wife (declined). :D

I just got a letter from Penn saying I am scheduled to graduate next month!!!
The reality of how little I actually know forces me to decline the invitation, but it was good for a mock graduation celebration request to my wife (declined). :D

:laugh: Congrats, SOV!

I've been a terrible mood since Thanksgiving and spent all yesterday feeling angsty and angry and awful - I don't even know why. But I spent a solid four hours reading my (non-vet school) book last night, slept in a little this morning and ran errands with the dog and am now feeling better. I'm going to finish up my notes and start studying for finals.

:laugh: Congrats, SOV!

I've been a terrible mood since Thanksgiving and spent all yesterday feeling angsty and angry and awful - I don't even know why. But I spent a solid four hours reading my (non-vet school) book last night, slept in a little this morning and ran errands with the dog and am now feeling better. I'm going to finish up my notes and start studying for finals.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :luck::biglove:

We are done with finals!!!! Our last one, anatomy, was the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. Finals week was hell, as you are experiencing (or will be soon), but I survived my first semester of vet school. :)

4 more days of classes and 5 finals to go! December 14th cannot come soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

So jealous of those of you who are done/on semesters!!

I'm on a term schedule so I have tests until December 16th but my last day of class isn't until the 14th...really sucks to not get time off to study like I did in undergrad :(.

So jealous of those of you who are done/on semesters!!

I'm on a term schedule so I have tests until December 16th but my last day of class isn't until the 14th...really sucks to not get time off to study like I did in undergrad :(.

i'm jealous too...and i feel like we started earlier than a lot of schools! 17 week semesters anyone? this is our last week of class and then finals all next week

i'm jealous too...and i feel like we started earlier than a lot of schools! 17 week semesters anyone? this is our last week of class and then finals all next week

We have 17 week semesters too (plus an extra couple of days). Our last final is on the 20th. I'm pissed off because it was supposed to be an online exam but some people in the class above as and my class as well ruined that for us. So now I have to stay here an extra day and have less time at home with my family. Grr...

We have 17 week semesters too (plus an extra couple of days). Our last final is on the 20th. I'm pissed off because it was supposed to be an online exam but some people in the class above as and my class as well ruined that for us. So now I have to stay here an extra day and have less time at home with my family. Grr...

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND CHEATING, AND ESPECIALLY NOT IN VET SCHOOL! WHYYY!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

we had a minor incident (or rumor) with that a few weeks ago and i just simply do not understand! it makes absolutely no sense to me. and i found it worse when some of my classmates sort of backed up the individual. its called real life! you need to be honest and you need to be ethical!

not sure what semester world you folks are living in but we are on semesters here in Davis and we aren't done till Dec. 16th....

It's less than 3 weeks away! YAYAY!!

While we finished finals last week, we still aren't done. NCSU does a thing called selectives which are 1 or 2 week courses. They are pass/fail, no exams that I'm aware of. Exposes you to a variety of fields. I really enjoyed out finals week. I felt it was set up perfectly - exam on Thurs that was mostly simple memorization, Fri's exam required about an hour to study for, given the previous year's guidance. That left extra time to study for Sat's Histo final. Nothing on Sun and Mon meant 60 hours available to study Physio and anatomy, followed by 26 more hours to focus purely on anatomy.

My undergraduate (Wisconsin) had Saturday AND Sunday finals, depending on how the finals week shook out.

I'm guessing the vet school does, too, seeing as how they also participate in the horrible torture that is night exams.

Mizzou has been much more humane to me. :thumbup:

My undergraduate (Wisconsin) had Saturday AND Sunday finals, depending on how the finals week shook out.

Isn't that like against religious code (and I'm guessing it's of the predominant religion in Wisconsin)? Damn.

I'm nostalgic of my UG, where we got to choose when we took our finals. For a whole week, we'd have two slots a day to take finals. Loved it. Personally never saw or even heard of people cheating, so the honor code worked pretty well. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about vet school.

Isn't that like against religious code (and I'm guessing it's of the predominant religion in Wisconsin)? Damn.

I'm nostalgic of my UG, where we got to choose when we took our finals. For a whole week, we'd have two slots a day to take finals. Loved it. Personally never saw or even heard of people cheating, so the honor code worked pretty well. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about vet school.

They weren't supposed to put exams on religious holidays, either... but that always happened. UW does what it wants, I guess.

That is unconstitutional! - cruel and unusual punishment!

Truth: My undergrad institution always gives finals on Saturdays of fall semester (but Friday's our last day in the spring!). And it's always either intro chem or intro bio. So, if you're a natural science major, that's the early way that the school says #$@* you :) Then you continue in the silly bio major...and there are more landmines ahead (lab fees, insanely expensive textbooks, OChem, Physics, fulfilling the ridic prereqs to get your bio major - oh, and we throw the liberal arts in there to make you more well-rounded!!). But, I'm sure it's out of tough love. They're preparing us for the assault of professional school :hungover: [In retrospect, I still would have gone to my Jesuit school regardless. Jesuits know about 2 things: education & having a good time ;)(with alcohol) :roflopter: I could've used a full ride somewhere though!]

...no wonder the professors are always so ticked off about that one. Oh yes, we don't believe in holidays. We don't want to spend time with our families. We want to grade exams on a Sunday afternoon. GRAND!:laugh:

The Exam Gods heard me snickering about Intro to Clinical Vet Med and decided to kick me in the teeth with a short answer exam. :( So much for my easy A. /whinge

It was this morning. It was still pretty easy, but not as much as I was expecting based on my test box. They hit us with some pointless trivia and the short answer/ mini essay section caught me off guard. I didn't do badly, but it wasn't the cake walk I'd been led to expect.

It was this morning. It was still pretty easy, but not as much as I was expecting based on my test box. They hit us with some pointless trivia and the short answer/ mini essay section caught me off guard. I didn't do badly, but it wasn't the cake walk I'd been led to expect.
Last year Dr. Harvey asked a bunch of weird questions but they weren't actually graded in the end. He just wanted us to "think" about them! Hopefully it will be something like that!

Good luck on the rest.