Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dunno if you got the email from Dr. B - SA, T/F, MC based on the quiz material. I'm struggling through the surgical oncology papers right now...ugh. Not sure I find anything more boring.

I did get it. It's not helping. And yeah, article after article is useless and makes me want to gouge out my eyes. And it's bugging me that everyone I talk to seems totally chilled about this exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Internal medicine is done. The evaluation said I should speak up more in rounds. I feel like I would have had I not been eating lunch during rounds every day... lol.

I start pathology tomorrow. My and my husband's immediately family is coming into town tonight/tomorrow so we can celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow night. Hopefully the fact it is an orientation day means we will get out at a reasonable time.

I changed two of my electives to research electives recently, so I have 4 whole weeks in which I have nothing except research to do. I'm interested to see what kind of project my PI wants me to work on.

Still loving clinics, just anxious whenever I start a new rotation. I can say my comfort in communicating with clients/rDVMs/clinicians has grown immensely since 4 weeks ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got an A on a rotation. Those B/B+s were getting old, especially since everyone told me I was going to do better in clinics than in the classroom. Granted, the clinicians got in trouble a few years back for giving out too many As so it's hard to get them, but I still strive for it. Anyway, that was good. One more rotation between me and Christmas and it's with a bunch of super awesome people so it should be a good time

And we got the first parts of our fourt year rotation schedules today. Five rotations scheduled, a bunch more to go. I got the two blocks off that I wanted; now to start sorting out some externals.

It's more of a moral victory than anything, since we all have to study for NAVLE, of course. :)
well yes, but its one thing to have to study it for the NAVLE and another to study it for class. we are finishing large animal surgery soon and then have large animal med and equine med next semester. yayyy. i'm really hoping that i like the medicine based classes more than i like surgery this term, i'm just not a surgery person in general.

I hate surgery and the medicine classes were a lot more to my liking.

In other news, we're done with class for the semester :) Finished our first exam yesterday and I have seven left to go before break. Should probably start studying for musculoskeletal tomorrow...

I am so freaked out about our neurology exam on Monday. She says the cases we have in class are more difficult then the ones on the exam, and I hope she's right. I'm not religious but I may start praying.

Last edited:
Pathology is not my favorite only because of how organized I have to be lol (we have 2 lectures/day, about 8 tests throughout the block, plus 2 presentations and several assignments, and ICU and emergency path duty). We spend 6 weeks in the diagnostic lab and 1 week on clin path. I'm not sure how clin path is going to go since I seem to have forgotten a lot of it, but I'm still looking forward to it. Somehow I landed 3 ICU shifts and one day of ICU on-call during the week of Christmas, plus an emergency path duty (read: putting things in the fridge if they are delivered to us after hours). Somehow in all of that I managed to get two days of: one on the night that one of my friends is having an ugly Christmas sweater party and the other on Christmas day.

Ultimately, I'm still loving clinics. I still feel like an idiot most of the time, but I'm coming to terms with it. One of my classmates complimented my history-taking-ability today. Then I realized she hasn't been on a rotation where she has interacted with clients, and I thought to myself, "Whoa, I was there 5 weeks ago, feeling the terror of my first interaction between me and a client alone in an exam room with no one to fall back on." It's an amazing feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology is not my favorite only because of how organized I have to be lol (we have 2 lectures/day, about 8 tests throughout the block, plus 2 presentations and several assignments, and ICU and emergency path duty). We spend 6 weeks in the diagnostic lab and 1 week on clin path. I'm not sure how clin path is going to go since I seem to have forgotten a lot of it, but I'm still looking forward to it. Somehow I landed 3 ICU shifts and one day of ICU on-call during the week of Christmas, plus an emergency path duty (read: putting things in the fridge if they are delivered to us after hours). Somehow in all of that I managed to get two days of: one on the night that one of my friends is having an ugly Christmas sweater party and the other on Christmas day.

Ultimately, I'm still loving clinics. I still feel like an idiot most of the time, but I'm coming to terms with it. One of my classmates complimented my history-taking-ability today. Then I realized she hasn't been on a rotation where she has interacted with clients, and I thought to myself, "Whoa, I was there 5 weeks ago, feeling the terror of my first interaction between me and a client alone in an exam room with no one to fall back on." It's an amazing feeling.

I was wondering what "emergency path duty" could be :laugh:

Sucks about the ICU shifts but at least you have Christmas off! I can't imagine having to work on Christmas...final exams on Thanksgiving are bad enough.

I was wondering what "emergency path duty" could be :laugh:

Sucks about the ICU shifts but at least you have Christmas off! I can't imagine having to work on Christmas...final exams on Thanksgiving are bad enough.

Haha I know right? I didn't know what it was before the rotation started.

Also, class on Thanksgiving? No thanks! I have worked on Thanksgiving and Christmas before, but I was actually getting paid for my time...

Somehow I landed 3 ICU shifts and one day of ICU on-call during the week of Christmas, plus an emergency path duty (read: putting things in the fridge if they are delivered to us after hours).

Is that a separate job or because of your rotations?

And my own whine: I do not care about pigs. I'm glad someone does, because I find them tasty, but I do not care about pigs. And I'm not looking forward to writing two exams tomorrow because PEI decided it needed to have a blizzard today and cancel one of ours.

And my own whine: I do not care about pigs. I'm glad someone does, because I find them tasty, but I do not care about pigs. And I'm not looking forward to writing two exams tomorrow because PEI decided it needed to have a blizzard today and cancel one of ours.

:rofl:

Don't let @Emiloo4 see this.... :ninja:

It's part of the rotation.

Same here about piggies. Not my favorite animals to work with... But they are cute!

Ah, interesting that you guys have rotations over Christmas. We don't, unless we wanted to use that time for an external rotation.

Oh that's nice! We are assigned to have either the week surrounding Christmas or the week surrounding New Years off. They do it so that on any given rotation, they are covered through those two weeks, even if they only have a few students. I think ECC has it rough every year though, and this year they only have 3 students during the week of Christmas or something ridiculous like that.

I don't mind being busy, but this rotation feels like the preclinical years again except my class is made up of 12 students instead of 120. The only other difference is I care less. My husband is currently out of town on residency interviews. He's the one who normally keeps me accountable. In his absence, Netflix has been encouraging me to continue re-watching The Office.

I feel like throwing in the damn towel..... I am so stressed out and I feel like I study so damn much and retain hardly anything.... maybe I am just too damn old.....

I have taken 3 finals so far and I still have 4 more left..... I am so worried I have failed my classes... I just want to cry :cryi:

So many people fail this semester and I can't be one of the ones who does... I have been working my tail off all semester to ensure that, but it somehow seems like nothing I do matters. I felt ok leaving the exam today, but then when I was talking to other people I realised mistakes I made - now I think I probably did ****e.... and the 2 previous exams I have not so sure...

I just want to stick my head in the fecking sand... :arghh:

I feel like throwing in the damn towel..... I am so stressed out and I feel like I study so damn much and retain hardly anything.... maybe I am just too damn old.....

I have taken 3 finals so far and I still have 4 more left..... I am so worried I have failed my classes... I just want to cry :cryi:

So many people fail this semester and I can't be one of the ones who does... I have been working my tail off all semester to ensure that, but it somehow seems like nothing I do matters. I felt ok leaving the exam today, but then when I was talking to other people I realised mistakes I made - now I think I probably did ****e.... and the 2 previous exams I have not so sure...

I just want to stick my head in the fecking sand... :arghh:
Don't know if it helps.. but really doesn't everyone feel this way...
Everyone screws some things up, so finding out you made mistakes is hardly earth-shattering. And no one really retains anything that we are being examined on.
Just keep on fighting through..... That is all you can do!

Reactions: 1 user
Dammit.

My will to study ... which has mostly been running on fumes all semester ANYWAY ... finally, utterly, completely ran out. About 100 yards from the off-ramp leading to tomorrow's last final.

Had a SA GI final today and Imaging final Monday and the one-two combo kinda did done me in.

Hrm. I just realized I only have 12.5 graded credits (8 courses) next semester. Out of 21 credits (17 courses) total. Not only is that a super low number of graded credits ... that's, like, a third of the credits I've had for the last 3-4 semesters. This is good. I find I learn and retain more in S/N (pass/fail) classes where I'm paying attention out of interest, and not with that hyper-attuned ear for 'what will be on the exam'.

How ... lovely looking.

I wish vet schools would figure that out. The classes I've retained information in are the classes where the exams were low-stress, or open book, or whatever. The classes with exams that focused on every. last. little. nitpicky. detail .... none of those have stuck, because I was pushed into the Corner of Cram.

Reactions: 2 users
Hrm. I just realized I only have 12.5 graded credits (8 courses) next semester. Out of 21 credits (17 courses) total. Not only is that a super low number of graded credits ... that's, like, a third of the credits I've had for the last 3-4 semesters.

Nice! I don't even want to count our credits, but at least I'm through surgery!

My sister-in-law (soph. in college) was saying how glad she was to be done with finals and I asked how many she had to do...four. :smack: I didn't say anything - didn't want to be all "my life sucks more than your life" - but it took me a second to bite my tongue, hehe.

Hrm. I just realized I only have 12.5 graded credits (8 courses) next semester. Out of 21 credits (17 courses) total. Not only is that a super low number of graded credits ... that's, like, a third of the credits I've had for the last 3-4 semesters. This is good. I find I learn and retain more in S/N (pass/fail) classes where I'm paying attention out of interest, and not with that hyper-attuned ear for 'what will be on the exam'.

How ... lovely looking.

I wish vet schools would figure that out. The classes I've retained information in are the classes where the exams were low-stress, or open book, or whatever. The classes with exams that focused on every. last. little. nitpicky. detail .... none of those have stuck, because I was pushed into the Corner of Cram.
We had this wonderful class added 4 years ago that was pass/fail, mostly about getting us into the hospital and figuring out how life will be as 4th years. Every year they have added to the crap part of the class (mandatory lectures, more minutae in lectures, more exams, more nitpicking about how to pass etc)... Luckily it still isn't graded (yet), but having had the sad ability to see the class evolution the last 3 years, all I can say is they JUST DON'T GET IT. They took a class that was wonderful and loaded it up and have almost made into just another freaking PITA.

Kind of sad.

I'm ready to go back to school. I hate sitting around, especially at home because my parents want to do things with me every day and it's exhausting. School means weekends "off," no on-call, weeknight drinking, and lots of Panera studying. It's a welcomed break from clinics, I only wish my doctor wasn't an asshat and would see me or give me anxiety meds so I don't fail all of my classes.

I really don't want to go back. But that's because my husband had to move across the country for work in August and I've been really enjoying spending the last month with him. I am excited that this is the last semester of course work before being in clinics full time! I am already counting down to graduation :)

Clinics are way less scary than I made them to be in my mind. And this is coming from an introvert who sucks at memorizing and second-guesses stuff... and has a hard time coming up with doctor words on the spot :p

I'm petrified of clinics. The most anxiety inducing part is the fear of not sleeping. Bad bad bad things happen when I don't get ample sleep and I have visions of forgetting treatments, sleeping through alarms on neuro or internal med rotations, forgetting that I put a client in the exam room and never told the residen and now its 4 hours later.....

Don't stress about clinics. They're not as scary as they seem. I got normal amounts of sleep on almost every rotation that I've taken so far, the only ones that I didn't were Emergency and Large Animal Surgery and that's just because of being called in. If your school is like UF, the techs are super awesome and help a lot to make sure that everything gets done because you are going to be busy. Your first couple of rotations will make you nervous but you get the hang of everything really quickly. You guys will be great.