Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear veterinary SDN community,

UW-Madison SVM has implemented a new policy that in light of their hospital short staffing issues, that they are going to force fourth year students into making up for this labor shortage through more unpaid work. This policy would essentially extend the work day to up to 16 hours and the work week to up to 70 hours. Again, this is all uncompensated labor. Fourth year students are already working 7 days a week.
Please sign this petition in solidarity to preserve the veterinary student work-life balance and well-being to repeal this expoitative policy. These are our future doctors! We need to be part of the change for a better vet culture and future. The petition is being presented to administration today but will still be collecting signatures of support. The petition has already gathered nearly 500 signatures!

To read more extent about the petition and to add your signature of support, please follow this link here: 8pm Treatment Petition

Thank you!
This is extremely frustrating!

And it also makes me wonder what clinical hours/duties look like from other colleges. From what I’ve be told, tOSU “limits” their clinical students to 80 hour per week.

Members don't see this ad.

This is extremely frustrating!

And it also makes me wonder what clinical hours/duties look like from other colleges. From what I’ve be told, tOSU “limits” their clinical students to 80 hour per week.
There is a SAVMA statement or "rights of student" document that suggests students be limited to 80 hours in hospital per week. This document is simply a suggestion and not something schools can be held to as SAVMA is a student based and run organization. Schools can do whatever they want

There is a SAVMA statement or "rights of student" document that suggests students be limited to 80 hours in hospital per week. This document is simply a suggestion and not something schools can be held to as SAVMA is a student based and run organization. Schools can do whatever they want
Ah, thanks! I’m guessing that’s what they’re referencing then.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I spayed a cat today! :heckyeah:

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
How is everyone doing ?? I am absolutely ecstatic to be done with this hell of a year in 1.5 weeks!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Five final exams in the next week + two days. I’m so ready to be done with this year. Absolutely the hardest semester thus far. I hope they weren’t lying when they said 3rd year is better 🫠

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Sadly, we still have 5 weeks and 6 exams to go so we still have a ways to go. Not to mention the million and one assignments for every class we have.

• Care
Five final exams in the next week + two days. I’m so ready to be done with this year. Absolutely the hardest semester thus far. I hope they weren’t lying when they said 3rd year is better 🫠
Same for us!! Everyone said first semester of second year was worse …. man this semester has done both me and my GPA dirty lol. One of our professors in the class with our cumulative final on Wednesday just told us it’s going to be 40 more questions than it was originally supposed to be, and going up in weight by 8% … 2 days before the final. Her syllabus says she can change it within a “timely manner” but telling us AFTER the weekend and 2 days before the exam doesn’t seem very timely lol.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
We’re on a term system, and the end of this week marks half way through the 3rd term of the school year. I’ve got two midterms this week, but total 6 more weeks of class and then finals. I’m still quite a ways from being free for the summer 😅

On the plus side, I’m actually enjoying a term for the first time in my vet school career. I feel like we finally shifted from just massive information dumps, to more application, practice, and logistical information. It’s such a breath of fresh air. Still plenty of nitty gritty details interspersed, but so much more conceptual based information. As one professor put it, this is where we start moving into the grey areas of actual practice. Rarely only one right answer. I hated first year, and to a slightly lesser extent the first 2/3 of second year, but I actually find myself looking forward to third year now if this is how most of it is!

Anyways, good luck on exams everyone who has them coming up! You got this! Think of me the second week of June when you’re all enjoying freedom and I’m dying of 6 finals over 8 days! 😂😭😂

• Care
We’ll be done with 2nd year next Monday, have a week off, then start clinics! I’m excited to get out of the classroom for a bit but also worried I’ll be stupid, and stressed about being away from home for 9 weeks and not really having a summer break.

However, 3rd year is track courses and electives, so I’m mostly excited for that! I’m also hoping to get certified in acupuncture (something I’ve been wanting to do since forever) :love:

On an unrelated note, fell in love with a dog in our spay clinic last week who’s up for adoption through one of the nearby shelters. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about her and it’s killing me a little bit inside. I keep calling to make sure she’s not on the euthanize list and am just praying she’ll be adopted here soon. If I wasn’t going to be gone 9 freaking weeks this summer I would’ve adopted her on the spot :(

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Less than two weeks of classes, lots of exams and then finals. This semester has been hell and I will be so glad to be done! Have a mini study abroad in Belgium right after finals, then going to Cabo to check out our wedding venue, then back to campus for 2 jobs (a grant and a fellowship), take my fiancée to move into her PA school in July, and try to sleep now and then!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Less than two weeks of classes, lots of exams and then finals. This semester has been hell and I will be so glad to be done! Have a mini study abroad in Belgium right after finals, then going to Cabo to check out our wedding venue, then back to campus for 2 jobs (a grant and a fellowship), take my fiancée to move into her PA school in July, and try to sleep now and then!
Sounds like a busy but amazing summer :love: Wedding in cabo is my dream lol

Officially done with 2nd year :clap:

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially done with 2nd year :clap:

Congrats! We are done on Friday. And I will no longer be a member of the class of 2024 - leaving to pursue the PhD and then returning to be in the DVM class of 27 or 28 :lol:

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats! We are done on Friday. And I will no longer be a member of the class of 2024 - leaving to pursue the PhD and then returning to be in the DVM class of 27 or 28 :lol:
Seriously I don’t know how y’all DVM/PhD students do it! I’m ready to graduate like tomorrow :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
Seriously I don’t know how y’all DVM/PhD students do it! I’m ready to graduate like tomorrow :rofl:

I actually feel kind of lucky to have the opportunity to separate from my class. This surely isn't exclusive to my class, but the negative energy on a regular basis is unreal. I'm sure the class I join in a few years will be largely the same, but getting a break from the DVM students, I think, will be a breath of fresh air. I'm also just glad that I've had nearly a decade planned out for me so I don't have to worry about where I'm headed for a little while. The lower debt is a plus as well.

These two years feel like they've flown by, you'll be done in no time!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I actually feel kind of lucky to have the opportunity to separate from my class. This surely isn't exclusive to my class, but the negative energy on a regular basis is unreal. I'm sure the class I join in a few years will be largely the same, but getting a break from the DVM students, I think, will be a breath of fresh air. I'm also just glad that I've had nearly a decade planned out for me so I don't have to worry about where I'm headed for a little while. The lower debt is a plus as well.

These two years feel like they've flown by, you'll be done in no time!
Meanwhile, I just confirmed with our DVM program that I'm coming back in January ... :wideyed:

• Care
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Meanwhile, I just confirmed with our DVM program that I'm coming back in January ... :wideyed:

Are you starting back as a 3rd or 4th year?! Congrats!! So close to being done!!! Dr. Dr.!

• Care
Are you starting back as a 3rd or 4th year?! Congrats!! So close to being done!!! Dr. Dr.!
3.5th. Gotta do spring semester of 3rd year and then clinics, but we have a shortened year 3 spring semester, so I have like 3 months of classroom and then straight to clinics :eek:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
50% DVM feels really good, congrats everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
When you're super interested in medicine and you get a high five from one internist and a "good job student!" from another internist in the same day :love:

How clinics are going overall: feel real smart one minute and real dumb the next minute. And gotten to actually do a lot of cool things!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
When you're super interested in medicine and you get a high five from one internist and a "good job student!" from another internist in the same day :love:

How clinics are going overall: feel real smart one minute and real dumb the next minute. And gotten to actually do a lot of cool things!
I am so glad im not the only one in the boat of feel smart then like an idiot the next minute.

What I don't like is the 16hr days again after a few years but I lucked out on half my rotations being not the long day ones so *shrug* I'm looking forward to necropsy and necropsy part 2 the electric boogalo

We got our clinical year schedules, so crazy! :heckyeah:

How's 3rd year treating everybody?

• Love
Excuse me but why have you not updated your signature?! 😂
Pretty sure you asked me that when I got my summer schedule too :lol:
Admin fudged my schedule a little bit, so I'll add it to my signature once it's fixed! :bow:

• Care
We get ours this month. Just want to make sure I have the week of my wedding off!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Are you even in vet school if they don't :rofl: so exciting!!!!
SO TRUE! It seems like most of us had errors! Thankfully they fixed mine pretty quickly.

@SkiOtter it's now in my signature for your viewing (aka creeping) pleasure :giggle:

• Love
How is everyone doing? One more semester til clinics, one more finals week ever! One more semester of sitting in a classroom (even though only half the day this year). I have my clinical year schedule and today got the approval for my diagnostic imaging externship (first rotation) - in my home town so don't have to worry about housing. Still working on figuring out one other externship (may be overseas with one of my profs). White coat in May, wedding in August (we decided on Colorado). Then worrying about the match and internships! Getting so close!

• Love
Today is our first day back of the semester! Kind of crazy how few weeks we have left of didactics which doesn’t seem real. o_O:cold:

We don't start up again until January 17th. I'm enjoying my time off, though I started my acupuncture certification so I've been doing some light studying for that. I have mixed feelings about where we're at ... excited that the end is in sight, but also scared for what comes after vet school :X3:

I'm also just scared that I don't actually remember anything, although the clinicians on my thesis committee asked me a bunch of clinical stuff during my defense and it magically was still in there somewhere.

I thought my imposter syndrome would get better after finishing a PhD, but it feels like it got magnified instead lol

• Care
I thought my imposter syndrome would get better after finishing a PhD, but it feels like it got magnified instead lol
@SportPonies and I have a theory that the energy of such things (along with anxieties, neuroses, obsessions, etc) cannot be created or destroyed, merely combined with other energies and transferred to other subjects

• Love
You know lots of things! And you’re not expected to know everything; double-checking answers is preferable to blindly forging ahead.
but genny, lots of the things I know won't MATTER 😭

also I feel like now people will expect me to be smart or something because I have a degree that suggests I am, and I much prefer when people's expectations are low and then I can exceed them more easily :laugh:

• Care
being one smol introvert entering a class knowing no one and having been away from vet school from 4 years is spooky
You will do great! Someone in our class has a white coat countdown which was 4 mos, 1 day, 15 hours! Can't wait!

• Care
I'm also just scared that I don't actually remember anything, although the clinicians on my thesis committee asked me a bunch of clinical stuff during my defense and it magically was still in there somewhere.

Don’t worry! I’m a graduated DVM and still feel like I don’t know or remember anything! You got this shorty!!!!!💜💜💜💜

• Care
being one smol introvert entering a class knowing no one and having been away from vet school from 4 years is spooky
You're going to be fine! We had a 2022-er enter our class this year after taking a hiatus (covid online learning didn't work for her) and after the first month it already felt like she'd been with us since the start! :)

• Care
Alright, my first day, while terrifying, was a good indication to me that although I have some rust to knock off, there's a lot more still in the brain than I thought. And my new class seems nice so far.

I think I'm gonna be okay 🥺 :biglove:

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
@supershorty don't feel bad navle panic is setting in for me ( I'm like 8th to 5th from lowest rank in my class) and yet I passed the GRE and my masters 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Care
Is anyone here at Oregon State? I will be doing a rotation at OSU in the fall and have a couple questions for a current student if there are any in here!