Class Schedule Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D3athstroke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background information:

I entered college having completed 27 AP credits (pretty much all my core basics - I just had to take two political science classes and a visual arts class). I credited all of them, but in retrospect, I should not have credited some, so I could balance my classes with basic core classes. But on the positive side, I've only had to take 12-14 hour semesters (recently 13) with no Summer classes. The only AP credits for my major pre-reqs that I credited were Bio and Bio lab, but I've taken all the other science pre-reqs and will take them in class.

With that said, I need to maintain at least 12 credits per semester to be qualified as a full-time student. And since I'd rather space my classes out instead of graduate a year earlier (which would rush the process as my EC's are not solidified and I have not taken the MCAT yet), I usually take "extra classes" of my choice. Usually they're online or hybrid as they fit my schedule the best.

Some of these extra classes included Sociology (didn't even know it would be part of MCAT when I took it), Kinesiology, Foundations of Health, Cultural Psychology, Stats, etc. Here is my schedule for this semester which is almost over:

Ochem 1 lab, Physics 1 lab, Biochem lec, Cultural Psychology (online), Health (online and a level one course, but I was interested in the subject rather than using it as a "GPA booster," hopefully this doesn't backfire).

So I have a couple of questions. Is it okay to take these random extra classes? Will it look bad taking a level one introductory course in one's junior year? Do online courses look bad?

Lastly, what would be some extra classes you would recommend? I'm planning on taking the MCAT next semester around April or so (not sure yet), so I'll probably be taking a few online courses. Still have to show up on campus Monday - Thursday and I work on Fridays (sometimes Thursdays).

Here is my incomplete schedule so far for next semester:

Biochem 2 lec, Ochem 2 lab, Physics 2 lab, [blank], [blank]

May take Psychology of Gender (level 3 course) as psychology subjects interest me. Still deciding the final two courses. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read all this! :)

Edit: I know some may be wondering why I don't ask my advisor or pre-med advisor. They're not very helpful to be honest. Thought I'd get some opinions from you guys!

In the spoiler is my original post, but I thought I'd shorten the OP to get more responses. If anyone is curious, my major is Biochem.

1) Do online courses generally look bad? Like 2 online courses per semester?

2) Due to 27 AP credits coming into college, I have room for "extra classes" as the AP credits completed most of my core basics. I've been taking random classes ranging from sociology to cultural psychology to health. Is that okay?

3) Any other interesting "extra classes" you guys recommend? I'm thinking of Psychology of gender.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have yet to take the MCAT, any science courses that get you used to reading through experiments and require you to interpret data quickly will be helpful. There are probably a handful of specific courses at your school that are known for this. Microbiology, Genetics, and Biochem come to mind. The passages in the new B/B section are full of jargon that can be intimidating if you haven't had any research exposure.

And I'd double check that the schools you're interested in are fine with accepting AP credit for Bio and Bio lab. Don't want to get burned for something dumb.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have yet to take the MCAT, any science courses that get you used to reading through experiments and require you to interpret data quickly will be helpful. There are probably a handful of specific courses at your school that are known for this. Microbiology, Genetics, and Biochem come to mind. The passages in the new B/B section are full of jargon that can be intimidating if you haven't had any research exposure.

And I'd double check that the schools you're interested in are fine with accepting AP credit for Bio and Bio lab. Don't want to get burned for something dumb.

I've already taken Genetics and Biochem. I basically just have classes from my major (Biochem) left, but I'll save them for my last year since I don't want too tough of a course load.

Yeah, the AP for Bio scares me. I'm not even sure if I can "un-credit" them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some med school wouldn't dare except a online course. The sociology and psychology classes is required for the MCAT and med school so you're fine.