Classes that are fun vs classes that are "traditional"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted some quick thoughts on science electives.

My sGPA is around 3.8, so this isn't really a "prove that you can handle hard classes" situation. I have done all of my science classes as a post-bacc over the past couple years, having graduated in a liberal arts field 10 years ago.

This spring I will be finishing up the last of my required classes and two more electives would get me a certificate which I plan on in Fall 24 if I don't get admitted in the current cycle. I have the following options: cell bio, mol bio, immunology, pharmacology, exercise physio, and histology.

My head says I should probably do cell and mol bio, but my heart is really interested in the exercise physio and immunology. Exercise Physio is under code EXSP and Histology under HSTL, everything else is under BIOL.

Does it really matter which electives I take or should I go for stuff that sounds fun and interesting?

Members don't see this ad.

Anything but "exercise physiology."
Gotcha. Is it considered too easy? It focuses on biomechanics and physio adaptation to physical activity. I have interest in exercise and have worked on some related projects before, such as building a force sensing insole that could make predictions for future overuse issues and building software for a startup that assisted with at home physical therapy for Ortho procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is fluff.
1703789730329.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, just wanted some quick thoughts on science electives.

My sGPA is around 3.8, so this isn't really a "prove that you can handle hard classes" situation. I have done all of my science classes as a post-bacc over the past couple years, having graduated in a liberal arts field 10 years ago.

This spring I will be finishing up the last of my required classes and two more electives would get me a certificate which I plan on in Fall 24 if I don't get admitted in the current cycle. I have the following options: cell bio, mol bio, immunology, pharmacology, exercise physio, and histology.

My head says I should probably do cell and mol bio, but my heart is really interested in the exercise physio and immunology. Exercise Physio is under code EXSP and Histology under HSTL, everything else is under BIOL.

Does it really matter which electives I take or should I go for stuff that sounds fun and interesting?
Take what interests you, not us. Just do well.

Reactions: 6 users
I also want to point out that taking cell biology will help tremendously. Most med school courses (at least at my school) assume you took this class, even though it isn't one of our prereqs.......

Molecular will also help, but it's not a must take. But I'd recommend taking cell biology just to make M1 year easier

Reactions: 3 users
Cell, molecular, and immunology are great. In exercise physiology you might become board because it could be at a slower pace than you are used to.

I also want to point out that taking cell biology will help tremendously. Most med school courses (at least at my school) assume you took this class, even though it isn't one of our prereqs.......

Molecular will also help, but it's not a must take. But I'd recommend taking cell biology just to make M1 year easier

Cannot emphasize this enough, at my MD school what was generally taught over a week in cell biology was taught to us in 1 single lecture in medical school. Taking courses like cell biology, anatomy, and immunology will at the least prepare you for the pace at which information is thrown at you, which can be a shock compared to undergrad classes.

Reactions: 3 users