PhD/PsyD Classes to take to prepare for school psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I decided (after many hours thinking ot over/weighing the pros and cons/talking to my family) that its better for me to do school psych for grad school but the thing is is that I wanna stay as a history major. Do you all think this will hurt my grad school applications (I will mostly be applying to MA/Ed.S programs with a few Ph.D programs)? Also what classes do you all think would be good to take other than the basic psych classes (like child psych, stats and research methods)? I already have a psych minor going but if I do take alot more psych courses I could probably graduate with a double major. Do you all think this is a good idea to do to prepare for graduate school?

Thanks so much guys!! Its been a tough year trying to make future decisions but I am glad to have all of you to get opinions from and advice from.

Members don't see this ad.

First, look at the programs you might apply to and make sure you will be able to meet the prerequisites. Beyond that, I'd suggest you take the harder, more science-focused courses (stats, research design, experimental psych, etc.), whether or not you decide to double major.

I don't think the history major will necessarily hurt, but you'll need to be able to demonstrate your interest in the field in other ways (eg, research experience, etc.) and have a strong application overall (including good GRE scores). Think about the story you want to tell about why you need a graduate degree to achieve your career goals.

Thanks MamaPhD! I already took stats and research design and I think we do not have a experimental psych course. Do you think I should try to do a thesis of some sort on a topic related to school psych? Plus I dont have any professors that are school psychs nor do we have a grad program at my college

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you'll need to be a little creative then. Here is a kind of left-field idea: is there any way you can combine your interests in history and school psych? For instance, could you do a senior thesis on the history of educational testing in the US public education system? It would give you an opportunity to delve into some primary sources and reach out to sources like practicing school psychologists/diagnosticians - you might find someone who would be willing to give you half an hour of their time.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess you'll need to be a little creative then. Here is a kind of left-field idea: is there any way you can combine your interests in history and school psych? For instance, could you do a senior thesis on the history of educational testing in the US public education system? It would give you an opportunity to delve into some primary sources and reach out to sources like practicing school psychologists/diagnosticians - you might find someone who would be willing to give you half an hour of their time.

I was actually thinking of finding a way to combine my love of history with a passion for school psych. Maybe I could even see if I could get some help from one of the special ed faculty. Thanks for the great idea MamaPhD!

IMO, definitely get a double major if possible--otherwise, you are going to raise the question of "You're applying directly out of undergrad; why no psych major?" needlessly. Also, get research experience (child-related, if possible) and child/school-related clinical or volunteer experience if at all possible.

IMO, definitely get a double major if possible--otherwise, you are going to raise the question of "You're applying directly out of undergrad; why no psych major?" needlessly. Also, get research experience (child-related, if possible) and child/school-related clinical or volunteer experience if at all possible.

I second all of this.

If you can squeeze in a class or two on reading (SLD-reading is probably the most common referral question for most SPs) and special education law that would help in terms of your application and content knowledge when you start the program. Some colleges will have an undergrad class or two on educational psychology, which would also be great if it's an option. A course or two on child/adolescent development would also be ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
I just talked with my parents and they seem ok with me trying to double major guys!! I have enough extra credits to graduate on time